Using rubbing compound on Krylon clear coat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hello im spraying Krylon's # 41301 crystal clear over Krylon 's gloss white clear coat lays down smooth as glass but not as glossy as i would like it to be .How long does the clear coat have to dry before i can start buffing it with the Megquire's #7 compound? The boat is drying in the shop where there is a constant temp of 70 - 75 f . Regards Andris Golts.

Hi Andris,

Yep, Krylon clear doesn't have the best gloss. I usually spray Rustolium clear over krylon, better gloss. ;) I would wait about a month before I tried rubbing it out.

Paul.

I paint all my boats with Krylon, then clear over them with Duplicolor Clear TopCoat... Make SURE it says "TopCoat", and not "ClearCoat" or similiar... I have cans of each and there is a difference... It's Laquer based, so I wouldn't advise it over enamel (found that out the hard way...)... I also would NOT use it over Krylon Fusion paints, especially if you've applied and removed any blue or green or ??? masking tape...... (found that one out the hard way as well :angry: )...

The Duplicolor Clear TopCoat makes the base paint just "Pop" with glossyness, and it seems to hold up well if everything is prepped accordingly...

Try to let the Krylon dry for a decent period of time... a week or better in warm, dry conditions is best... Then let the clear dry for some time as well...

I also use the Duplicolor Clear over regular Krylon paint. It is the best I have used so far. My only gripe is sometimes the rattle can will spit out a blob instead of a continuous fine spray. I originally tried Krylon Clear on Krylon paint, and had terrible results.

Back