Unhappy servo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Hydro

I am having trouble with my throttle servo(Hitec HS-81). My radio is a Futaba 3PDF. When I let go of the trigger the servo makes a grumbling noise. If I touch the servo arm the noise stops. When I move the trigger to any position and hold it the servo makes noise. If I move the rudder servo without touching the throttle the throttle servo makes noise. I tried a new servo and nothing changes. The linkage is not in a bind. On the carb I have one of those cheapie ball and socket setups and on the servo I have one of those aluminum 2-56 barrel setups where an allen screw clamps on the linkage and the barrel is held on the servo with a round push on clip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hey Doc, Alot of "Hi-tec" servos had "centering" probs I think it will be Ok. I quit using them a couple years ago and that was "one" of the reasons.

I noticed you changed servos, was it the same make and model?

Last edited by a moderator:
try the servo without any linkage/servo horn attached..... see if it still does it

You have a good brand radio so I would invest in good stuff not hi-tec servos.

Anyway check if your linkage runs straight & free without interferences that usually cause unecessary load and noise .Jerry is absolutely right about these servos. ;)

Gill

There's nothing wrong with the high end HiTec servo's...weve used them with good service in the cars....we prefer to run Futaba because they tend to be lighter and more consistent...

The HiTec servo's do make noise at center and the digital ones are the worst!!! One thing i would check is make sure your end points are set up properly if they are o/k then you should be o/k....BUT because you are asking about it i suspect you are in dought so for the 40 or 50 dollars it take to get a new one it's cheap piece of mind!!!! Also if it does fail it's on the throttle, not the best.....

Jerry Wyss said:
Hey Doc, Alot of "Hi-tec" servos had "centering" probs I think it will be Ok. I quit using them a couple years ago and that was "one" of the reasons.I noticed you changed servos, was it the same make and model?

95568[/snapback]

Yes sir. Same servo, same problem. Thanks for the reply.

Dr. Hydro said:
I am having trouble with my throttle servo(Hitec HS-81). My radio is a Futaba 3PDF. When I let go of the trigger the servo makes a grumbling noise. If I touch the servo arm the noise stops. When I move the trigger to any position and hold it the servo makes noise. If I move the rudder servo without touching the throttle the throttle servo makes noise. I tried a new servo and nothing changes. The linkage is not in a bind. On the carb I have one of those cheapie ball and socket setups and on the servo I have one of those aluminum 2-56 barrel setups where an allen screw clamps on the linkage and the barrel is held on the servo with a round push on clip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
95566[/snapback]

Send it back to Hitec, they will repair it or send you a new one free.

Bill

Doc I knew that gears( plastic) teeth broke then make funny sound grumbling noise ( run) also check open top servo box and maybe broke shaft groove you have to replace one.

USUALLY THE 81 SERIES ARE QUIET. Are you using the 81 plastic gear or the 81 MG?

Check for some metal to metal contact in the boat or around the radio box.

Or sometimes the battery pack your using in the RX or TX is too drained causeing some funky glitching and grinding. Either change them or recharge them.

And like the others said, if the linkage is not at a nice straight line or there's high angled tension coming out of the radio box that will make the servos strain for dear life.

Good luck!

How close are you with the radio when you hear the sound. Try moving away from the boat and have someone check for the sounds. This may be interferance from the radio. Scott

I have found thaty if you run the hitec's at 4.8v they will do some funky things and make noise. Get a set of fresh duracell batteries and check it then ,at 6.0v the noise goes away whic makes me believe they like the amperage that comes from 6.0v

Once upon a time hitec could be dismissed as rubbish. Now Hitec = Multiplex = some very good products.

I wouldn't even consider running plastic gear HS80+ series servos. MG versions only.

I often wondered how much "punishment" a throttle servo had to withstand. you would think if it was under vibration from like an inboard engine it would just "jiggle" the "H" outa the carb barrel :huh:

Hitec and Multiplex huh? How do you get all this info way down there? :lol:

Jerry Wyss said:
Hey Doc, Alot of "Hi-tec" servos had "centering" probs I think it will be Ok. I quit using them a couple years ago and that was "one" of the reasons.I noticed you changed servos, was it the same make and model?

95568[/snapback]

Hey Jerry...yes it was the same model servo

ALLAN YUEN said:
Doc  I knew that gears( plastic) teeth broke then make  funny sound grumbling noise ( run) also check open top servo box and maybe broke shaft groove  you have to replace one.
95652[/snapback]

Hey Allen....the servo is brand new so I'm guessing that there are no broken parts to blame. Thanks

USUALLY THE 81 SERIES ARE QUIET.  Are you using the 81 plastic gear or the 81 MG?
Check for some metal to metal contact in the boat or around the radio box.

Or sometimes the battery pack your using in the RX or TX is too drained causeing some funky glitching and grinding.  Either change them or recharge them.

And like the others said, if the linkage is not at a nice straight line or there's high angled tension coming out of the radio box that will make the servos strain for dear life.

Good luck!

95654[/snapback]

Hey Rodney....the gears are plastic, there is not any metal to metal contact, the batteries are new alkaline, and the hookup is a straight shot. That is what has me illed out. Thanks.

ALLAN YUEN said:
Doc  I knew that gears( plastic) teeth broke then make  funny sound grumbling noise ( run) also check open top servo box and maybe broke shaft groove  you have to replace one.
95652[/snapback]

Hey Allen....these servos are brand new so I doubt anything is broken. Thanks

Dr. how close are you to the boat when it does it??? I know the high tec servo in one of my cars hates the close transmitter...it gets all nervous and hums....try standing back10 feet and see if it still does it [you might need a friend to help out]...

gil sonsino said:
You have a  good brand radio  so I would invest in good stuff not hi-tec servos.Anyway check if your linkage runs  straight & free without interferences that usually cause  unecessary load and noise .Jerry is absolutely right about these servos. ;)

Gill

95570[/snapback]

Gill,

Would you say that the two other major brands are the ones to use?

Or do you have a preference?

Latest posts

Back