U-15 Pepsi America's Choice 1987

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nathan,

Very nice! I have tons of photos of this boat with the Pepsi paint schemes. If you need any, let me know and I'll scan them for you.

I tried to get Mike to kit this one in 1/8 scale a couple years ago. But it kept getting pushed back on his list of priorities. Maybe some day....?

Which kit builds this Dennis? I may have it by now, but I am unfamiliar with this boat?? Let me know, MIke

Opps, just saw at the top that its a 133 kit. I have the plans, and actually did start them, just have not finished. Where you the person that originally sent them to me? Let me know, Mike

PS, sorry for not having the kit done...I have been trying tho!!

Nathan,

Very nice! I have tons of photos of this boat with the Pepsi paint schemes. If you need any, let me know and I'll scan them for you.

I tried to get Mike to kit this one in 1/8 scale a couple years ago. But it kept getting pushed back on his list of priorities. Maybe some day....?
Dennis, pics for the paint scheme would help out alot. I have a few.

I'm trying to get all the sponsers to get the boat is close as possible.

What are you guys using for a dummy motor in a open engine bay.

I see Newton has plans for a Merlin,Roles, any body got the plans,

if so how does it look?

Thanks, Nate

!cid_4A1345F8281342788D09DDCBA3CCF3B4@DDM7YQ61.jpg

!cid_56CDCAECA2D445A3B6CD99CE6029E40B@DDM7YQ61.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis, thanks for posting the pics. Not a flashy paint scheme but I do like the alum. color on the transom and the bottom.

Something I did'nt know and now I do is where the lifting hooks go on the boat.

The lift hooks are attached to the engine stringers. You can see the left rear hook in the last photo protruding from the cowl behind the cockpit, next to the emergency shut-off and fire extinguisher buttons. The front ones are at the very front of the engine bay, just outside of the nose cowl. The cowl was originally wider and went to the outside of the engine rail. Not sure why Ed made it narrow. Perhaps it had something to do with the use of the straps instead off the steel cable system that was previously used on this boat.

Dennis Ed made the cowl narrow due to heat from the engine. The boat had a Rolls in it and it sat a little differnt then the allison. When the ran it for the first time in Madison it had a heat problem. So Bill Cantrel told them the front cowl was the problem. They ran tje boat again with no front cowl and it worked, so Ed cut it down. One more fact on that boat is it was built in a back yard in seattle.

The boat was also used in the movie "Madison". It was reconfigured and painted up as the Miss Bud for the movie.

Does anyone have or seen the Newton plans for the Merlin/Rolls/Allison dummy motor?

I recently purchased the plans for the Merlin and the Turbo Allison. Overall, the dimensions seem pretty accurate but I was hoping for a bit more detail. There are a few detail things that are not correct, but from the plans one could build something that certainly looks the part.

The biggest issue to figure out, is a way to build a better box...what I mean by "box" is the basic engine block of the Merlin or Allison that surrounds the Gas Engine.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

P.S. If anyone out there has access to a Merlin or Allison rocker cover PM me please

Tim S.

Contact Larry K, he sells resin parts and kits for both the Allison and Merlin that are very good

I recently purchased the plans for the Merlin and the Turbo Allison. Overall, the dimensions seem pretty accurate but I was hoping for a bit more detail. There are a few detail things that are not correct, but from the plans one could build something that certainly looks the part.

The biggest issue to figure out, is a way to build a better box...what I mean by "box" is the basic engine block of the Merlin or Allison that surrounds the Gas Engine.

P.S. If anyone out there has access to a Merlin or Allison rocker cover PM me please

Tim S.
Tim you have my scale Merlin kit all you need to do is blow it up to gas scale size

Tim,try Doug Campbell at "Classic Hydos.com" about his engines.Then talk to Eddie Hansen about his 1/6 scale exhaust manifolds which can be combined with Doug 's 1/6 scale engine.The manifolds really make a difference.I found the 1/6 scale close enough to 1/667 to work.Also the slightly larger scale will make it easier to get around your gas engine.If you go this route add gussets and substitute plywood for balsa as you see fit.

You saw this dummy engine on my 67 Bud Thunderboat in Evansville the past 2 or 3 years.It's been the only Thunderboat there with an exposed engine.

I'm not sure that Larry has his gas scale engines out yet.

Tim S.
I started this stuff a couple years ago & became overwhelmed by the sheer number of parts I would have to come up with for complete kits. With a change in my work shift a year and a half ago, I hardly have time to get out regular orders let alone coming up with new stuff. When I saw this thread I dug out what I have. I just finished the bolt reliefs on the Merlin valve covers yesterday. These parts are for Gas Scale (1/6.667). One pic shows Merlin & Allison valve-covers in 1/8th scale compared to the large scale. The other pic shows Merlin valve cover & exhaust along with Allison valve cover & ignition distributors. The laser-cut sheet is for the "block" & is approx 6"x 4"

100_4224.JPG

100_4231.JPG

Back