U-15 Pepsi America's Choice 1987

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about Nate the OP, but I was really attempting to make my own engine just for the sake of making my own engine. So far I have some decent results with the Allison but not one measurement other than the Newton plans to go by.

The Merlin on the other hand, I have found some decent line drawings and a measurement of 42"x9" on the rocker covers. From that I verify that the Newton plans seem pretty accurate. My attempts at the Merlin rocker covers haven't produced anything I am proud of yet. I certainly would consider buying your Merlin rocker covers and exhaust manifolds if that is all you have at this point...They look to be the most accurate I have seen at any scale!!!

Here's what can be figured out if you go by the Newton plan....

Really needs to be dressed up real bad. Haven't ever seen a real motor up close

I'll add a magneto and use different size eletric wire to replicate hose lines. spark plug,fuel,hydrilic lines.

Skin back the wire alittle bit,so you can drill a hole to size of the bare wire and glue them in place. and try to drill holes on the valve cover and add small socket head screws to dress it up.

Nate

What is OP???? :huh:

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, that site shows plenty detail. My motor might not be just like the real thing,but I

think I'll be able to make something that will past for an engine.

Hope you don't mind me sharing the link.

Nate

http://www.quarterscalemerlin.com/

Bob, thanks for the photos.Looks like alot of hoses oil,fuel,,hyd.pressure hoses to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been awhile,but I'm trying to get back to building my scale boat.

Quick pic of the motor getting some color.

Motor 001.jpg

Motor 003.jpg

I used the Newton Merlin plans as a guide, but built a custom "looks scale" engine to fit the engine compartment and 29 cc engine. It turned out that the 1/6 scale Merlin intercooler is only a little too small to fit over a 36 mm bore Zenoah water jacket. The main pieces are plywood with shaped parts carved from balsa. Round toothpicks and drops of Elmer's glue made the bolts and bosses. Covering everything with epoxy added strength and gave a cast look. I did need to make a custom right angle cooling water fitting. The scale engine is held down with a cabinet latch in the middle and a magnet at the supercharger scoop. It survived one blow over so far.

I have a lot of pictures of Merlin engines I used as a guide if anyone is interested.

Lohring Miller

Your motors look great guys. This would be a lot easier if that darn spark plug wasn't in the way!

BTW, Larry K got his molds finished for the Merlin exhaust and valve covers.

Back