TS2 kibbles and bits

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ed,

What engine are you using? If it is the O.S. 21XM, be sure the nylon washers are on the mount and lower unit hinge pin.

Rw

Hi Russ,

I'm using the K&B. The motor isn't brand new but has little time on it .

Ed.R

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my TS-2 and with the motor on I can hold the head or prop and there is play up and down between the motor and mount . I did not measure it but I bet is close to a 1/16 ". Is this a problem or i shouldn't worry?

Ed.R

It's not just up and down , it changes the prop angle , moves on a arch I guess I would say.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building my TS-2 and with the motor on I can hold the head or prop and there is play up and down between the motor and mount . I did not measure it but I bet is close to a 1/16 ". Is this a problem or i shouldn't worry?

Ed.R

It's not just up and down , it changes the prop angle , moves on a arch I guess I would say.
Ed,

Either replace that mount or get a brass sleeve to fit over the pivot pin and drill out the mount to accept the sleeve. My.02 anyway...

Ed,

Either replace that mount or get a brass sleeve to fit over the pivot pin and drill out the mount to accept the sleeve. My.02 anyway...

OB nUt,

I took your advice and killed 2 birds with one stone.It moved vertical up and down and on an axis forward and back .It would change the prop depth and pitch of motor also.i used a brass tube and made a bushing and cured both .

Thanks

Ed.R

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry or anyone who have successfully run the TS2, I am badly in need of help here, over heremost of the guys who run the TS2 have given up on it. I have try to run it with a TT and to the extend purchase a rossi from hyperprod bolted on angle drive t my dissapointment it doesn't make any difference.There are a few guys here run it with OS and K&B and thru my observation doesn't make ant difference.From my observation it barely touches 30mph maybe somewhere on the 25mph range.Running from 25% to 30% nitro.Tried various prop height and angle.Can someone really tell me is there a secret on setting up this hull?

Most of us run the TT Falcon and we can really see the difference when it run alongside TS2.

Well hopefully someone here can give a piece of good advise before I turn it into a rescue boat...

Let me think about this..

The TS2 should run about the same speed as your Falcon.. However the TS2 will likely be a tad heaver. Are you running on flat water most of time.. The TS2 has the uncanny ability to run in rough water making it a great race boat for MOST water conditions. This can also slow it down compared to the falcon on flat water.

The TT out of the box might not have enough grunt to pull a FG boat like the TS2. The TT engine in stock setup on a 4lb boat ran for us 40mph during one outing.. Its about as fast as a TT is ever going to go out of the box.. and trust me we played props for weeks to get it to do that...

As for any of the other RTR motors out on the market its about the same thing.. The K+B an OS have a little more power but its not a bunch.

The Rossi and angle drive you have (depending on the pipe) might work OK but from what i know of the angle drive it can cause some speed and handling issues. Its likely going to take some time to get that setup to work good.. Getting the right prop to mate up with the pipe is a full day of testing..

All in all if your boat is running 35 to 40 on a speed gun you are going quite well and with a tweak here and a tweak there you are just inches away from more speed.

Keep up the good work.

Grimracer

We have a TT powered TS2 in our club (owned by Gmorty) and it is competitive against some more fancied boats / engines, especially in rougher conditions.

It runs an Octura X438 prop, just sharpened and balanced, reduced the head clearance down to 8 thou and fitted a 8 thou liner shim. Sure - it's not going to beat a piped novarossi, but you get what you pay for.

Thank you for all the advise,I still haven't given up hope on this hull yet,by the way i forgot to inform that the rossi is still new and its was only running on the 3rd tank of nitro,do any of you think is still running in or the opposite? Currently I haveonly run it on a Prather 215 prop should I try it on the Prather 220? Can this particular engine take it?

The engine might pull it but it won't be any faster - go the other way. Use an Octura X438 or X440. Smaller props will let it rev more. Smaller props don't always mean slower.....

Hi Guys

As Tim said im running one and its very successfull.

There are some pics in my gallery on my setup if that helps

We found the 438 or 440 to be well suited.

A great boat in the rough.

Greg

Hi Guys,

I have been playing with the TS2 a little.

Standard OS with shim out & ABC 40x53 sharpened & balanced. I have tried ll the usual props, the current setup was the only one that relly works

I have approx 2.5 grams on the front of the radio box and an additional 2.5 grams on the deck on the CG point behind the radio box.

Have fitted grimracer villain tank secured with silicon. The tank is mounted a fair way forward ,(check gallery).

Trim is neutral, bottom of bullet is in line with bottom of sponsons.

The boats runs very well, no bounce, if the boat comes out of the water, the boat lands level.

I think the boat is probably running in the mid 40's . (Tim Duggan or GMORTY) tell me if you dissagree.

If anyone is interested I can measure CG.

Regards to All

MJ

mark i have tried a 40x53 with no luck at all i think

i have a major hull issue the boat is currentlly

striped of all hardware and im taking mesurements

to try and work out weather the hull has a hook

i am seeing differences in mesurements from left

to right in regards to sponson depth

but this maybe as per design jd can you enlighten me

the answer is here somewhere :-(
Mate, what did you find with the 4053? How did the MAC handle it? How did the boat respond?

1. W/o the engine, place the boat on a flat surface.

2. Press the back of the transom downward until the sponsons touch the flat surface.

3. Both sponsons should rest evenly on the flat surface, or very close.

4. If you have a K&B lower unit available, try running your MAC powerhead on that lower unit.

JD

q's please, i'm goin to use HIJACK engine mount with os stock engine, is there anything i need to look for? ..any adjustment? anybody?

Greg Pulsetech,

Check that the transom is square to the running surfaces - The two I have seen where out slightly. On O.S's and TT's it's not a big problem because the trim angle is adjusted behind the pin, where as the K&B style mounts are adjusted in front of the pin. A shim with some angle in it to correct any variance in the transom should help dramatically.

Also, avoid balancing the boat by putting weight at the tips - use more weight closer to the CG to get the same effect. This helps the boat "fly" better, and is particularly noticable in the turns. This was very obvious when I trimmed MJ's TS2 for him. a few OZ less in the nose, a few more on the CG and it was dialed......

Settle on a prop that the motor likes, then lower the motor in slight increments until the hopping stops. That should get you close....

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,

We liked a 1440 B/C @39mm w/3.21" of cup with just a touch of negative angle and we did

45 MPH the second time the boat hit the water. We can't wait to try 3.33" of cup and 38mm

and see the 50's. :D

You have to remember this is my first O.S. powered tunnel hull,in fact it is the first tunnel hull

that I have ever owned. Now I am looking forward to trying a O.S. powered Lynx soon. :D

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Well I think I have gone through what Pulsetech did and as I mention earlier in my post.My problem is the boat doesn't plane.I did try adjusting the prop height and also the angle doesn't make any diference.Correct me if I am wrong after what I notice yesterday after looking at the hull for 3 hours till my wife say I am crazy,the inside of the sponson is not square (not 90 degree) and is kind of rounded.My question is will this effect the speed.The reason I say this because its the same thing happen to my TT Falcon.My solution is after a number of guru advise is to stick a piece polycarbonate strip under the sponson and all the problen gone.Do you think I should follow this step.

Mak,

All of the TS2's I've seen have had sharp edges - well sharp for a glass hull anyway. They did not require any mod's in this area in order to plane.

You could try applying some automotive body putty or epoxy mixed with microballons and then sanding it for a sharp edge and flat surfaces if you feel this could be the problem.

Tim.

ok for the time being i have place two 1.5 mm thick washers under the lower right hand bolt

and 2 x 1mm washers under the top left bolt

remounted the engine it is now square in every direction i can measure

thanks again jerry and especially tim for nailing this down for me

i can now see why it bounced

gerg i have a spear k&b leg u can try if it dont work

laters dion

Back