Tiger King 27- Eagle SGX- 6545/3 combo

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many people have witnessed, I go to the practice pond and run gallons of fuel through a variety of nitro boats and typically never take the canoe out of the trailer. Andy I can't believe YOU are on here perpetuating the myth that gas is more reliable. I probably should mention that whenever a gas car comes into the shop for repairs the techs all draw straws to see who has to get the blisters from pulling the @#%^^&& pull start!
default_tongue.png
Since I started running the Red Bull boat
By the way, who did the "Red Bull" paint scheme? Roger Hooks Jr.? It's very cool...........

Damon Wilson owns the boat! He did the graphics and John Brown did the paint. Graphics were supplied be Wesley's Graphics.

Here is a pic of the Tiger King boat. Photo from Atlanta Model Boaters website.

1465287_673406519383535_2066898534_n.jpg

Damon Wilson owns the boat! He did the graphics and John Brown did the paint. Graphics were supplied be Wesley's Graphics.

Andy, Are you running pipe pressure with that carb?

Hi Dave,

I keep getting that question. No, we are just running on suction. The carb bore is .510", It seems to draw well. I actually like to start the engine a few clicks rich on the mixture valve. The carb needs to be choked to get fuel up to it as it will immediately run back to the tank when the engine is not running. I thought about putting a check valve in the line, but it's not really an issue.We use the long tapered (fine) 3rd channel needle that Kalistratov made. Some needles will be too coarse for gas.

Carb bore size could probably go bigger and still work well on draw, but we have not tried it yet. We don't need to draw much gas, so it's a lot easier to get it supplied to the carb compared to nitro or methanol.

When we first tried this in 2002 we sent the MAC .550" to Mike Hoffmister (M&D) to test on their dyno. On the dyno they got a good power increase over the best walbro carb they had. They never did try it in a boat. When we first tried it in our boat, we did a back to back test with the walbro. The power improvement was noticable immediately. Throttle response was quicker and accelration off the corner was quicker, proven by radar gun. We raced it for a couple of years. We were surprised it did not catch on then. But we were not the Gas engine Gurus and we were not trying to set records, so I guess no one paid our gas set up any attention.

IMG-20140312-00334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pump gas is different than Coleman gas. Pump gas will contain up to 10% Ethanol. Pump gas will include chemical additives to keep the injectors clean. Pump gas will include dye so that the brand can be protected. Coleman gas is what we used to call "white gas". No additives.

While pump gas has the octane number posted on the pump, I do not know what octane the Coleman fuel would be.

Al Hobbs

i've read in discussions that it is around 55 octane .
I heard the same things..that it is 55. I thought how could that possibly work?.When I questioned others who have used it successfully, someone claimed that it would not detonate any easier than 87 pump gas because it is free of "additives" that cause detonation ( probably those "cleaning" agents that create more heat).

I ran 2 gallons of 87 in the Red Bull boat before switching to Coleman. When I fiered it up it was a little rich. I leaned it out about 1/8 turn and tossed it in the water.

It ran exactly the same speed. No head aches included!....so far now, it's Coleman white gas for me!

Hi Dave,I keep getting that question. No, we are just running on suction. The carb bore is .510", It seems to draw well. I actually like to start the engine a few clicks rich on the mixture valve. The carb needs to be choked to get fuel up to it as it will immediately run back to the tank when the engine is not running. I thought about putting a check valve in the line, but it's not really an issue.We use the long tapered (fine) 3rd channel needle that Kalistratov made. Some needles will be too coarse for gas.

Carb bore size could probably go bigger and still work well on draw, but we have not tried it yet. We don't need to draw much gas, so it's a lot easier to get it supplied to the carb compared to nitro or methanol.

When we first tried this in 2002 we sent the MAC .550" to Mike Hoffmister (M&D) to test on their dyno. On the dyno they got a good power increase over the best walbro carb they had. They never did try it in a boat. When we first tried it in our boat, we did a back to back test with the walbro. The power improvement was noticable immediately. Throttle response was quicker and accelration off the corner was quicker, proven by radar gun. We raced it for a couple of years. We were surprised it did not catch on then. But we were not the Gas engine Gurus and we were not trying to set records, so I guess no one paid our gas set up any attention.
Andy did you have to change the size of the spray bar. Thanks for sharing the pics . Is that the longer hull and is or are you running one of your 60 80 nitro pipes or better known as unabtainium!

Hi Dave,

I keep getting that question. No, we are just running on suction. The carb bore is .510", It seems to draw well. I actually like to start the engine a few clicks rich on the mixture valve. The carb needs to be choked to get fuel up to it as it will immediately run back to the tank when the engine is not running. I thought about putting a check valve in the line, but it's not really an issue.We use the long tapered (fine) 3rd channel needle that Kalistratov made. Some needles will be too coarse for gas.

Hi Andy, Thanks for that. I have run nitro carbs in the past but only on pressure and had some issues being over-rich in the mid range. Time for more tests.

Hi Dave,I keep getting that question. No, we are just running on suction. The carb bore is .510", It seems to draw well. I actually like to start the engine a few clicks rich on the mixture valve. The carb needs to be choked to get fuel up to it as it will immediately run back to the tank when the engine is not running. I thought about putting a check valve in the line, but it's not really an issue.We use the long tapered (fine) 3rd channel needle that Kalistratov made. Some needles will be too coarse for gas.

Andy did you have to change the size of the spray bar. Thanks for sharing the pics . Is that the longer hull and is or are you running one of your 60 80 nitro pipes or better known as unabtainium!
Charles, We ran the SB that was in the a carb. Did not test different sizes. The blue & white hull is the standard size that we have been building for years (43") That boat was built a few years ago, but recently hit the water for the first time. We are working a new bigger hull 45" or 46". The pipe is the original AB 67 pipe. As you can see in the video, the boat moves pretty fast without sounding fast...just "loaffing" as someone mentioned! More work to do on the TK.

Octane is the measurement of how well a gasoline prevents "pre-ignition" or "knock". The higher the octane number, the better the gasoline will do in a higher compression engine.

So, if Coleman gas is 55 octane, it will not do as well as pump gas if you squeeze the head down. Coleman gas is designed to burn in an open flame such as camp lanterns and camp stoves.

Be careful using it in an engine and increasing the compression ratio. I'm not saying that it will or will not cause a problem. But you will be putting the fuel in a situation for which it was not designed.

Al Hobbs

Andy what's up with the coleman fuel. I was scratching my head wondering if that's the same motors on Ebay! You see it but there a stock motor on Ebay. Very impressive and smooth. Is this the next twist in gassers tec sure looks like a modifiable liner . Have you tweaked it yet or is it stock . One more the sure looks F class to meeeeeehehehe! A pass ya later
Regular gas was giving me head aches. I talked to some guys that liked the coleman camp gas, so I tried it. Seemed to run the same speed as regular pump gas on the radar gun and it does'nt stink and give me head aches.
The Tiger King is looking good. Yes, steel liner and removable head button! At this point I have made some mild mods to the liner and head. Timing is stock.

Maybe you could tell from the sound that our TK sounds like a nitro engine? We are running a MAC 67 carb and a 3rd channel mixture control.

So yes, I started out that run very rich and then leaned it until it hit 75 mph there at the end.

Notice how it gets that rich cackle when I back off the throttle. There is no low speed needle in the carb, yet you can see how slow it will mill even when fully rich.

Nice easy part throttle launch too!

I will soon drop a glow head on it and F class here we come!
default_biggrin.png
just
Andy I am looking at getting a brass button for glow made up for my TK , what bowl volume would you recommend ...or just duplicate the original?

Food for thought. Years ago when we used to go shrimping often. We were told we could use amaco premium 93 in place of Coleman fuel in the lanterns. It worked great.

I have a hard time believing that Coleman fuel would be a low octane fuel. It's original purpose is to be a more stable slower burning fuel.

Food for thought. Years ago when we used to go shrimping often. We were told we could use amaco premium 93 in place of Coleman fuel in the lanterns. It worked great.

I have a hard time believing that Coleman fuel would be a low octane fuel. It's original purpose is to be a more stable slower burning fuel.
50-55 octane no additives . ....

Hey Andy

Very interested in your inital general thoughts of the Tiger King engines quality and performance..... Also curious whether you are running any of the additional performance parts or is it a standard TK Evo?

Cheers

Tim

I am no expert but what I have found out running the Cloeman fuel is it makes the motor run hotter. Down side is if you loose a water line better be paying attention doesn't take long till things get hotter than designed for,then you need parts.

Andy what's up with the coleman fuel. I was scratching my head wondering if that's the same motors on Ebay! You see it but there a stock motor on Ebay. Very impressive and smooth. Is this the next twist in gassers tec sure looks like a modifiable liner . Have you tweaked it yet or is it stock . One more the sure looks F class to meeeeeehehehe! A pass ya later
Regular gas was giving me head aches. I talked to some guys that liked the coleman camp gas, so I tried it. Seemed to run the same speed as regular pump gas on the radar gun and it does'nt stink and give me head aches.
The Tiger King is looking good. Yes, steel liner and removable head button! At this point I have made some mild mods to the liner and head. Timing is stock.

Maybe you could tell from the sound that our TK sounds like a nitro engine? We are running a MAC 67 carb and a 3rd channel mixture control.

So yes, I started out that run very rich and then leaned it until it hit 75 mph there at the end.

Notice how it gets that rich cackle when I back off the throttle. There is no low speed needle in the carb, yet you can see how slow it will mill even when fully rich.

Nice easy part throttle launch too!

I will soon drop a glow head on it and F class here we come!
default_biggrin.png
just
Andy I am looking at getting a brass button for glow made up for my TK , what bowl volume would you recommend ...or just duplicate the original?
David, If your are going to run straight methanol or not more than 10% nitro, I would say the volume could be a little smaller.

Back