Think Your Job is Scary

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I wouldnt do that for a million dollars.

I have worked on the side of cruise ships in 70 knott winds with 15-18' seas crossing the Atlantic ocean on the top deck on top of a 20' frame only on 8"s of aluminum and I would still never work on a antana like that sorry no way.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Base JUMP! :blink: :p :D

Grim
LOL!
Notice he's only tied off when he clips his lanyard to the ladder rung while resting. Maybe his tool bag will get caught up and save him if he loses his grip or his forearms cramp up. I built water towers for close to 10yrs. About 200 feet was about the highest I ever was welding off a hook ladder. A 6 foot fall can kill you, any height after that is mind over matter... If you don't mind, It don't matter.

Yea,I would like to know how much they make as well. You couldn't pay me enough to do it and you know that thing moves like crazy up there. You have to have nuts the size of bowling balls to do that for a living.....The worlds most expensive light bulb changer....whatever he gets, he deserves it...and then some...I'll bet he has a hefty life insurance policy.

what kind of money do these guys make to make that climb.

Just did a quick search, and I hope the statistics are wrong.... As I wouldnt climb that tower for twice the pay...

Average Salary and Pay Scale

Data published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2011 show that radio, cellular and tower equipment installers and repairs made a mean annual wage of $44,250. This group includes transmission tower climbers. The lowest-paid 10 percent earned less than $26,200 per year and $12.60 per hour, while the highest-paid 10 percent earned $67,660 or more per year and $32.53 or more per hour. The national average was $21.27 per hour.

Rodney I work for one of the major cellular companies in the US and unfortunately..... that is correct. Most of the cell tower techs make less than 50K a year. All while risking their tush to keep your service working.

They heven't printed enough money to entice me to climb that high. I feel uneasy when I go up 2 feet to change a light bulb in my house.

I drove a top fuel drag boat at over 215 MPH for 2 years with no problems, I've even seen 62.5 MPH going down hill on a bicycle. But heights just scare the hell out of me.

Not a chance in hell I would do that. I'll stick to dodging jet intakes and spinning props any day of the week before doing that

Base JUMP! :blink: :p :D

Grim
HAHA Grim you have a screw loose!! Your nuts!!!

I just watched it again on my computer instead of my tiny phone screen and wow thats UNREAL. My company hired a couple guys from a local company that did this and they both made less then 12 a hr. to start out. I think the one kid said he was making 15 a hour when he left that company.

Could you imagine getting to the top and forgetting a tool? I bet the practice simple tasks at a training center before going in the air!!!!

Here you go Grim might as well as fly down it will be quicker!!!

I have had to climb the cell phone towers on occassion but they are only about 200 ft, its still a little scary when its windy though when you feel the whole thing swaying in the breeze.The spring and summer months are the worst,the tower metal is hot and around here storms pop up quick. I let the young guys climb now and i just partner if needed. Now you know how you guys get to enjoy the nice 4G cell service we all use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back