These FireFighters Are Awesome!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used the marine specilities strut and a seaducer rudder on mine. I think I had to take a tiny bit off the rudder bracket on mine..... it was so little i did it with a sanding block.... about 1/16" i think right? The speedmaster stuff is great also but i'm not sure it would be smaller?

OK,

I used the Seaducer strut but I think it is too wide - Oh well - the holes are drilled so I'll have to use it. I will have to make a new rudder bracket for the seaducer rudder - it hangs out by approx. 1/8" with it butted against the side of the strut mount :(

look on the first page of this thread to see my hardware..... i think i simply sanded a little off the strut and rudder to get it to fit.

Tom,

That strut bracket looks narrower than the Seaducer item - that is probably the culprit. Shame I drilled holes in the transom before checking it! I'm definately going to need a custom rudder bracket to get around that little problem.

Ian,

I can probably make the rudder bracket myself if I can locate some of the aluminium angle needed. Shouldn't be too difficult with the drill press.

Thanks anyway!

Tim.

strut bracket was identical.... i just picked that one cause it matched my engine head..... you should have the same stuff that I have Tim.... I can work with wood all day long and do a great job..... but i'm an idiot with metal..... so if i can do it you surely can! like I said.... i used some 60 grit sandpaper and got mine to fit.

What other hardware is available that would be narrower?

Tom,

The strut bracket on your pic is definately different to the seaducer one I have - your's is T shaped where as mine is 2 90degree brackets that bolt to the strut blade. No Big deal really - a different bracket for the rudder should do the trick!

Ian,

Thanks for the offer - I might have something but I'll let you know. Can you mill some engine mount parts for me? I don't like the solid engine mount - especially with the micro servo's for throttle and mixture.

Tim.

oh yea.... now i remember..... use a one sided strut bracket???
I thought about doing that but have doubts about it being reliable/ strong enough.

Last week I got some right angle Carbon Fiber from a guy on eBay. I bought it just for trying to make some rudder and strut brackets. He sells pieces 1"x1"x12" and .062" thick. He also sells CF sheets also in there in the R/C boating section. Graphite Excellence is the one to look for. If anyone needs his e-mail address, I can look it up.

Last week I got some right angle Carbon Fiber from a guy on eBay. I bought it just for trying to make some rudder and strut brackets. He sells pieces 1"x1"x12" and .062" thick. He also sells CF sheets also in there in the R/C boating section. Graphite Excellence is the one to look for. If anyone needs his e-mail address, I can look it up.
Sounds good but I have a bad feeling about ebay'ing internationally........

Got any spare that you are willing to part with and prepared to ship o/s?

Hey Tim, Ive been running a single sided strut bracket on my .21 for a year now without any problems. Its half of a speedmaster strut bracket. I had a problem with my rudder and strut bracket being to wide also, so I had to do something. seems like it would work on a 12 just the same.....

I did knurle the two faces of the strut and bracket just for the heck of it.

~ James

James,

Are you running a square drive? My concern is that with the thrust acting directly on the strut with a square drive, that the transom might be distorted or fail.

Oh yeah - this is a .21 boat too!

hhmmmmm........ I guess I missed all of those details. No its not square drive, I use a "regular" shaft with a collet. Your guess is as good as mine. So you are putting a .21 in a .12 firefighter rigger? Or did I completely strike out on this thread?

~ James

Topfuel443 Racing ~ Completely Clueless

James,

This is a FF21 ;D

My friend Tom let me buy a "proto" 8) Shame it's taken me so long to build it but the idea was I can run all year round here where as Tom can't due to solid water.

TimD racing: worlds slowest builder.

Tom,

How long before the FF .21 is ready?

-MikeP
Well.... I think I got my kit cutter pretty excited about it at the hobby expo.... I have my hopes it will be ready in say 2 months???

TimD..... yep he got a proto..... he was supposed to get his done before me cause I was going real slow.... oh well..... consider it Tim's reward for being #2 poster on the board

as far as square drive.... i dont know.... I never used it. I'm sorry that stuff didnt fit..... I just plain didn't know that it did not. When I asked seaducer..... at the time they made the roadrunners.... they said it would fit the roadrunners and I asked about the tub width .... guess the firefighter tub is skinnier than a roadrunner extreme.

sorry bout that tim.... :-[

No sweat Tom - I'll make it fit!
order.gif

Back