The next step

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outboard "rigger" in the pics would not be legal in IMPBA or NAMBA simply because it has no tunnel. It would have to be decked over to form a tunnel and then well, out goes the reason it was designed in the first place. Might make a cool OB hydro. Don't forget also that one of the ways a tunnel gets its "design parameter" speed is by trapping air.
Is there some sort of limit or minimum height/width that defines a tunnel?

what comes to mind is the Byrd Hornet, which I believe is a IMPBA legal tunnel.

perhaps subclassifications for tunnelhulls could be similar to that of hydros-

having outrigger hydros, and a scale/sport "tunneled" hydro class. :)

Hows about a piezo heli gyro, hooked up to a servo running a drive tilt, could help with blowovers and keep the boat at a perfect 7 degrees ride angle. You would have to set the dampning rates a bit looser than a heli, but it should handle the pounding. Doing full 3D flight in a heli really works the gyro, set the thing on heading hold and it will try and maintain attitude, use the third channel(or 4th) to manually adjust on the fly.

Doug

Hows about a piezo heli gyro, hooked up to a servo running a drive tilt, could help with blowovers and keep the boat at a perfect 7 degrees ride angle. You would have to set the dampning rates a bit looser than a heli, but it should handle the pounding. Doing full 3D flight in a heli really works the gyro, set the thing on heading hold and it will try and maintain attitude, use the third channel(or 4th) to manually adjust on the fly.

Doug
Man your reading my mind :lol:

I was discussing something similar with front accelerometer controlled stabilizers not too far back:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=11882

how about dual servo stabilizers? one left, one right- could turn up one in a turn. :D

Along with the trim adjustment a second servo could operate a short extension of the tunnel at the front, too much angle and it acts as a spoiler lowering to reduce lift(too much movement would make it a submarine!). This is getting as complicated if not more so than a full size boat!!!!!!!

Doug

I definitely like the idea of adding some form of aerodynamic control into the mix.

Regarding r/c boat design and innovations has anyone noticed the rather small amount of plans available on the web?

There are a few from rcboatmodeler, and a few here and there, however the number available is pretty minescule in comparison to the thousands of airplane drawings on the net (the majority free as well)

here's one source I found: http://www.profili2.com/eng/plans.asp

Imagine if boats had such a large community resource!

Back