The Most Rewarding .21 Nitro Boat to Run

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the most rewarding .21 nitro boat to run?

• Total voters

Danny Cruz

At this point in time, .21 seems to be the most popular nitro size. So, which is the most rewarding .21 boat to run? Which one provides the most satisfaction and fun to the driver independent of speed? Monos, Deep Vees, Tunnels, Cats, Outriggers or Hydroplanes.

Danny, I have to say its a tie for me. Sport 20 is by far the funnest class I have driven, but I would say OB tunnel is the most rewarding. It takes alot of time, and small setup changes to get a good, solid, fast and stable .21 tunnel. So for this guy, its a draw

Danny, I have to say its a tie for me. Sport 20 is by far the funnest class I have driven, but I would say OB tunnel is the most rewarding. It takes alot of time, and small setup changes to get a good, solid, fast and stable .21 tunnel. So for this guy, its a draw
"Danny, I have to say its a tie for me. Sport 20 is by far the funnest class I have driven,"

Ditto!!! :)

Am I missing something on the poll? I looked up Sport 20, but can't quite figure out the different between Sport 20 and hydro. Forgive my ignorance. Let me know and I'll add the entry. -Danny

Am I missing something on the poll? I looked up Sport 20, but can't quite figure out the different between Sport 20 and hydro. Forgive my ignorance. Let me know and I'll add the entry. -Danny
Sport 20 looks like a real hydroplane and there are some specific rules to follow. 20 hydro is dominated by riggers.

Ok cool, so my poll is good. It's divided by the type of boat and not so much the class. So... hydroplane and hydro (outrigger) are separate. I just called the scale shaped hydros, unlimited hydroplanes.

The local club didn't have anyone racing in the D (.45) class for the 7.5 tunnel that got me started with RC boats, so my first race boats were .21 B tunnels with piped engines. I also built a CMB powered Speedmaster mono at that time but I just don't get into running monos much, so it spent far more time on the shelf than in the water. Then I put together a pair of Phil Thomas's Super Sport hydros. One a sport 20, the other a sport 40. Once I raced sport hydros I was hooked and then started to tinker with out riggers, first with a D hydro and then with a B. I still prefer any D class boat over any B class boat, but that is just my personal preference,and this thread is about .21's For close racing excitement with a hull that will survive contact with a buoy or another boat, Sport hydros get my vote, For their speed and the adrenalin rush that racing them provides, outrigger hydros get the nod from me,but you must remain constantly aware of how fragile they are. Tunnels are my hands down favorite when it comes to the challenge of setting up a boat that not only flies down the straights but will also scream through the turns and stay on the water for six laps.

Larry

I have been having alot of fun the last few years with my speedmaster mono in the 21 class. Probably because there are alot in our district. Outrigger hydro is fun too as the JAE and JAE look alikes are creating a stir running against the Eagles.

Looks like outriggers win so far. Sounds like speed is the number one factor. But tunnels are in a close second. :) Can't complain about that.

Outriggers are ahead in your poll. In responses posted in the thread Sport 20 hydros are the clear winner.

Outriggers are ahead in your poll. In responses posted in the thread Sport 20 hydros are the clear winner.
"Ditto Again" When I go fishin, Outriggers are like Walleye(finicky & elusive) but you keep trying to get better on making them do what you want(your hooked, but not always satisfied). Sport 20's are like Crappie & Sunfish(always a pleaser)especially when the Walleye aren't biting.. :p

Hey guys, Larry suggested I adjust the poll to:

Mono

OB Tunnel

Hydro

Sport Hydro

Off Shore

If you guys think it'll help make the poll better for future viewers let me know and I'll change it. Majority rules. But everyone's going to have to adjust their votes. Let me know... Otherwise, stays as is.

On the other hand.. the way I wrote it was "what's the most fun boat to run" and not so much "what's the most fun class to run". You know?

-Danny

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, Larry suggested I adjust the poll to:

Mono

OB Tunnel

Hydro

Sport Hydro

Off Shore

If you guys think it'll help make the poll better for future viewers let me know and I'll change it. Majority rules. But everyone's going to have to adjust their votes. Let me know... Otherwise, stays as is.

On the other hand.. the way I wrote it was "what's the most fun boat to run" and not so much "what's the most fun class to run". You know?

-Danny

not fussing, danny but you wrote rewarding, not fun. rewarding for me is a tunnel, much more time setting it up to run properly, as even tiny changes can be huge. then there is the driving challenge, as tunnels are much more affected by wind & waves than other hulls. plus you do need to really drive them into & through the turns. meeting the demand/challenge is the reward at the pond. fun for me would be a rigger, kinda like driving a slot car at 70 mph. squeeze the trigger & grin, & try not to let them see your knees shakin' :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go with the sport 20 also, love my ss21 easy to handle and just a blast to play with in all conditions!!! Although I love my tunnel but that is more of a reward when you get to run the thing and have perfect water for it!!!! But I would love to just have 5 minutes of play time...... I think it has been 2 months since I have played with a boat...... :(

Hi kroggs, I googled "ss21 sport 20" and nothing relevant came up. Where can I find pics of that particular boat?

Back