The electric race course - time to rethink?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to knock any of the racers there. I did get a chance to talk to Chris Fine there and he does get as excited as a kid with a new toy showing off his boats. The number one thing that I enjoy most in our Hobby/ Sport is the brotherhood that we have. Any time that I go to a race, my tool and parts boxes are open for anyone that needs something that I have and I have gotten a lot of help back in return when I've needed it. At the Rochester Hills race, my 7.5 mono didn't want to start and the next thing that I knew, there were several people running over to give me a hand in getting it fired up. This is the kind of thing that makes you want to keep coming back.

At the IMPBA Internats, I saw this happening a lot. Ernie LeFleur and his gang were there for anyone that needed help. Not only are they top caliber racers but the types to be the first to be there for you.

OK, back to the subject...............

Sorry paul I didn't mean to flame you or even direct anything i said to anybody in this forum... I respect the fact that you buy your own parts, and that boat looks awesome as i said b4. I don't want to add any fuel to the flames, but my statement was to say those guys in my previous post didn't belong in an entry level class. the other statement, was there was only one of them who was willing to open up his toolbox to help a newbie when needed. I understand i don't have a lot of money, and this situation may happen alot. and from racing mtn bikes i realize how valuable a sponsorship is, and how good you really have to be to get one. they do help out greatly, but there are ppl who are not as scrupulous as you and do use thier sponships in a less than sportsman like way. neways this is a hobby... we should all be having fun... if were not there is a problem.

-=Cy

The biggest advantage might be from the sharing of information between the team members. But if you've been around me at a race you know I'll always take time to help someone, I go so far as to let anyone go through my boats and give them my exact setup. Being so open cost me a round of racing in Ohio. I love the hobby and racing and hanging out with everyone is the best.
Paul helped me at the race with my LSH and it really changed the boats performance by a 100 full.. I seen him help alot of people that weekend and was a great guy to talk to..

If I said anything wrong when I said he was sponsored please forgive me it wasn't ment to be negitive.. Most sponsored racers I know have to pay for there stuff still they might get a discount but, its not much. I think its more fun to race a sponsored driver because if you win or bet them its a feather in your hat..

So, I am correct...... since I talked to Paul all the time I would know if he's sponsored or not.

Kevin, I'm gald it's you....no problem.

thanks

Steve

Hey Guys,

Cy and Terry,

No problem with anything you guys where talking about, belive me I've seen exactally what said. I just wanted to set the record straight on that sponsorship thing because I've got my nuts busted over it allot. Guess I'm kinda touchy, lol. ;D

Paul.

This is exactly why Ed never had any teams and raced by himself. People out there thinking this and that and speculating.

I am glad we are having this discussion and that is exactly why we have supported races and not racers.

thanks,

Steve

yes and no I guess.. Paul is a team driver for Fine Design.

If I may be so bold, I'll drag this back to the original subject of the thread....

I'll add my 2 cents by measuring and setting up a 1/8 mile course next year. We'll play around with it and maybe run P Mono or P Sport Hydro on it at The Classic next year.

Paul just wants one so he has more room to get out of our way. LOL

LOL paul

the CAFE Club will be running both course next year. To try it out. 1/10 for n1 and n2 class's and the 1/8th for everything else

It sure would be nice to have a larger course for the 04 Mi Cup race but were out of room if MMEU stays with the same site. Apparently we do have what most FE racers are looking for considering we hosted the largest NAMBA santioned FE race this year.

RON don't get discouraged regarding racing the FINES and some of the other hired guns. These guys put on their pants just like us and do loose occasionally.LOL Hope to see you competing next year.

Regarding sponsored racers, you show me a sponsored racer and i'll show you a guy that eats sleeps and dreams FE and spends a lot of money out of pocket to stay on the edge of high tech. More power to them!

I still don't get this sediment some people have for lower cell count 1/8 scale. I always look at it as the more the merryier. Plus why would MMEU (whos proposing this new club class?) discourage its own`members' from running 1/8 scale. We have to find out what works, cell count or motor type shouldn't be an issue. Seeing the beauty of 1/8 scale hulls racing together should be the issue.

KEVIN i wish you would recondsider your stand on not doing 1/8's. I would think you would be a big boost to promote the class.

KEVIN is right about loosing another class to run 1/8 at Mi Cup. If MMEU runs 3 full heats of 1/8 another class will probably be taken off the rooster because of time constraints.

my 2 cents

Ken,

I have made no stand against running 1/8 scale in general. I am not going to run one myself for several reasons. Foremost, the Sharp Park pond is too small for 1/8. The last time that I built and raced a (nearly) scale boat (CAFE Cup), it was "modified" by another boater before it even reached the starting line, in the first heat that it ever raced in. :eek: Zooom, right over the top. No more cowling.

Besides the likely carnage, I have too many irons in the fire. I really need to concentrate on the classes that I already run in, to get somewhere near consistent results. At most races this year I was "not ready for prime time", not prepared and not organized.

The possibility of clubs using two courses just by adding a second set of bouys (further out on one end) ties in perfectly with the 1/8 scale discussion. While a larger course would make the faster P classes of today better, with the size and potential speed of 1/8 class, it is a neccessity!

The only point that I bring up on 1/8 scale at the MiCup is: What class will not be run to make room? We should just decide soon so that no one wastes their efforts.

Will it be S Hydro or S Mono? Are the "S" classes more than Stunt classes? Can S Hydro get more than 3 entries without allowing Cats in to boost the number?

Will it be a low cell-count class? Would that possibly crimp the ability to attract new racers?

Maybe we can get that nailed down at the end of November, Ice Buster Fun Run.

There has been incredible focus on an ever-expanding variety of classes. At the same time the number of racers coming out and actually racing remains about the same.

Should racers as a group spend most of their energies adding more and more classes for the (relatively) same number of entered racers to be spread out among. Or should the group focus on finding ways of attracting more beginners, building up a good solid base of devoted racers, and then be concerned with increasing variety.

I just believe that finding more racers is a long-sighted goal and is better for electric racing and that not increasing racers and spreading them out further is short-sighted and maybe even bad for electric racing in general.

What say you?

KW

Hello Guys,

The last time that I built and raced a (nearly) scale boat (CAFE Cup), it was "modified" by another boater before it even reached the starting line, in the first heat that it ever raced in.
OTS! Well at least the "driver" survived it. ;D

At the same time the number of racers coming out and actually racing remains about the same.
I'm not so sure about that. Don't you think there is a pretty good rise in the Midwest of racers. I think this past year showed really good promice. Lot's of interest around here, even the WI race was well attended for a first showing.

I think the biggest challenge to any race is balancing, atracting new racers and bringing in seasoned ones is tough. You need the faster classes to attract the hard core guys, you need the spec type classes for the new ones. The problem is the spec classes are becoming an arms race too.

Beats me, I'm the only guy around my area that even knows what a FE boat is.

Paul.

My 2 cents....

I would just as well run lower costs classes myself but....

The speed of many classes have out grew the 1/10th mile course. Now does that require that all race sites revise to 1/8th, no. The 1/8th scale class had nothing to do with my opinion of a larger course, It think we have needed that for years.

thanks,

Steve

This is exactly why Ed never had any teams and raced by himself. People out there thinking this and that and speculating.

I am glad we are having this discussion and that is exactly why we have supported races and not racers.

thanks,

Steve

Shoot Steve, Ed is a team. Think he pays retail for gear drives, flex shafts, hulls?

I keep thinking I should put a boat together and buy evey piece at retail then run it at nats just to prove to any nay sayers that it aint the sponsor that gets the wins.

I used to appologize for being sponsored, but now I think it's better to give people a nice lame excuse to justify any success sponsored drivers may have. I'd hate to think of the sleep people would loose if I won and paid retail to do it!

Remember, it's a hooby. It's supposed to be fun. When it's not, go find a new hobby. Time to head into my garrage and get happy.

Paul, more power to you.

Dick

yes and no I guess.. Paul is a team driver for Fine Design.

Dick,

Last time I looked, Ed developed all of these products. I guess his hard work has no value to some. : :)

Thanks Ed for the hard work! :D

You're absolutly right. What Ed has done is fantastic. I wish at times Model boats were my livelyhood so that I could spend the kind of time Ed does developing the kind of equipment he has. What an advantage I'd have then.

Seems all too often you use Ed as someone who has no help and has accomplished everything while we sponsored few are the unfair advantage. I see it the other way around. But then again, when have we ever seen things the same!

As always I respect your opinion and your presence here is a big reason I drop by!

Dick

I have no answer for you Dick....Ed developed his business and builds great boats, every part of them except for maybe batteries. Hulls, Controls, Hardware, Props (yes in the past and present providing help to Octura).

thanks for dropping by Dick...good to see you on a normal forum where everyone is allowed to post his opinion.

Steve

You're absolutly right. What Ed has done is fantastic. I wish at times Model boats were my livelyhood so that I could spend the kind of time Ed does developing the kind of equipment he has. What an advantage I'd have then.

Seems all too often you use Ed as someone who has no help and has accomplished everything while we sponsored few are the unfair advantage. I see it the other way around. But then again, when have we ever seen things the same!

As always I respect your opinion and your presence here is a big reason I drop by!

Dick

Has anyone checked the record books and win sheets to see if being a "Team" driver has any distinct advantage?

Steve H things have been deleted around here also. We have to watch what we say no matter were we go. Especially me!!

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Latest posts

Back