The electric race course - time to rethink?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forresterace

Another "hot topic of discussion" last weekend was the size of the electric course. The general consensus of opinion was that perhaps it's time to increase the course size - maybe all the way up to the nitro course size. Due to the neverending march of technology (brushless motors and batteries), the speed of the faster electric classes has seriously outgrown the electric course. The increasing popularity of larger boats also contribute to this same situation.

What do the rest of you think?

The shorter courses will give the guy who doesn't have the best equipment at least a chance of winning. The faster boats could relly pull away from the others and make it a real parade instead of a race.

My 2 cents

Hey Guys,

It sure would be nice to have a longer course, at the speeds we're running now it's harder and harder to keep a good line. A longer course with some wider turns could cut down on some of the carnage and let you hang it out a bit more.

Paul.

It is time to go with a larger course for the faster classes.

Maybe a second set of bouys set farther out on one end because the slower classes like N1 and N2 will still need the present size oval. N1 Mono run on a nitro size oval would be terminally boring.

I would agree that the course should stay about the same for N1 and N2 class's but, be bigger for everything else.. N2 offshore should run the bigger course also.. just my 2 cents..

Time to go 1/8th...I agree, 1/6th is just too large for stock classes. 1/6th however would be great for 12 cells on up. :)

how much backing is out there for the bigger course.. I haven't seen much activity about it on other boards..

I myself am in favor of letting the boats run the 1/8 mile course.. think it would make for some fun racing and let the boats run faster.

I haven't seen much discussion of it.

Way too much time is being spent discussing 1/8 Scale Hydro or "Who has the larger credit line on his credit card" (which it has quickly become).

To forge ahead planning larger and faster hydros without planning to provide a larger course for them is silly.

40-45" Hydros running around the tiny 1/10 oval is going to be carnage. :eek: Can you say Battle Boats?

Many of the existing classes would be improved by expanding the course.

I don't expect going to a 1/8 oval to be a hot topic, for one reason, because the puddle that the Michigan Cup is run on is too small for a 1/8 circuit.

how much backing is out there for the bigger course.. I haven't seen much activity about it on other boards..
There are other boards?

Oh yeah, there is that one.

What is it?

Tequila Trotters, Whiskey Wheezers, Vodka Vaulters, something like that.

Hello Guys,

The whole 1/8th scale thing started with 3 guys way before there was any discussion about it on any board. The 3 guys committed where Chris Fine, Dennis Whitt and myself. We all agreed to build and run them at the MI cup next year simply as an exhibition class.

At the Ohio race there was some chit-chat and it exploded from there. I'll tell you what, the choice of motors, batteries etc. where planned out and cost or who had the biggest wallet was of no concern. We just wanted big fast scale hydros to run. Then came all the other stuff, rules, course length, brushed motors, 24 cells, scale or not.

I've grown weary of the bickering and bashing of the "other" board and really would like to see some coop here. I made amens and came back to IW and settled my differences with Doug face to face.

Just lighten up a bit, that's all I'm asking, then maybe this forum will grow rather than be stagnant.

Paul.

Right on....this is the place to be ;D

Hello Guys,

The whole 1/8th scale thing started with 3 guys way before there was any discussion about it on any board. The 3 guys committed where Chris Fine, Dennis Whitt and myself. We all agreed to build and run them at the MI cup next year simply as an exhibition class.

At the Ohio race there was some chit-chat and it exploded from there. I'll tell you what, the choice of motors, batteries etc. where planned out and cost or who had the biggest wallet was of no concern. We just wanted big fast scale hydros to run. Then came all the other stuff, rules, course length, brushed motors, 24 cells, scale or not.

I've grown weary of the bickering and bashing of the "other" board and really would like to see some coop here. I made amens and came back to IW and settled my differences with Doug face to face.

Just lighten up a bit, that's all I'm asking, then maybe this forum will grow rather than be stagnant.

Paul.

Oh please, Paul.

The "other" board is being bashed? I suppose it is a merciless assualt on them. They need to get a sense of humor.

There are many questions that need to be brought up. They are not complicated and should be easy to answer.

Things should be arranged now so that people can build 1/8 boats over the winter. That is true.

At the same time, the class that is going to be bumped (to make room for 1/8) should be disclosed so that someone doesn't build for that class over the winter, to find the class not carried next year.

Simple fairness but, I bet not one person on the 1/8 Scale express train has given it a thought.

Course length is not a topic that spun off of the 1/8 discussion.

That topic has been around for years and has been brought up many times.

1/8 Scale would just make a bigger course more appropriate. S Class boats are too big and fast for the little 1/10 oval and even 6 laps of LHS on a 1/6 oval would be a great improvement over 10 laps on the 1/10.

What exactly would be considered cooperation? And, what would not?

How do you figure this? If you have a class with same number of cells, motor and hull that is within the rules, why does it matter? Do you think the guy with a faster boat should have some sort of handicap?

My guess is the faster boats my increase in DNF's if anything.

Steve

The shorter courses will give the guy who doesn't have the best equipment at least a chance of winning. The faster boats could relly pull away from the others and make it a real parade instead of a race.

My 2 cents

Hello Outcast,

Here's the thing, the RR board is not the "problem" it seems to me a personal conflict with the owners. The boaters participating on Rum Runners could care less of the politics. You comments where simply childish.

At the same time, the class that is going to be bumped (to make room for 1/8) should be disclosed so that someone doesn't build for that class over the winter, to find the class not carried next year.
Who mentioned anything about bumping a class? This isn't a NAMBA or IMPBA class and I don't see it being one in the near future. Like I mentioned, we're running it just because we want too, not to start a new trend in FE. Just like Unlimited Offshore which is quite a popular class in the Midwest, big boats with lots of power.

Paul.

Hello Outcast,

Here's the thing, the RR board is not the "problem" it seems to me a personal conflict with the owners.

Paul.
It's not personal. Don't even know 'em.

"Who mentioned anything about bumping a class?"

Exactly! Now you've got it. No one did. Yet, there is a finite amount of time. The MiCup runs to almost total darkness as is. There is no unused time in any of the 3 days.

New classes can be started but, there is still only so many hours of daylight. Something has to go and no one is bringing it up (intentionally or not).

It is not a ridiculous questions. It is one of the first questions that anyone who has been to the MiCup should have thought of.

And I ask again, Paul:

What would you consider cooperation? Should boaters stop asking questions?

"The MiCup runs to almost total darkness as is. There is no unused time in any of the 3 days."

Oh well, guess MI better not consider anything new in the future..... :-

Get real............

hehehe, i gotta come over to the f/e forum more often
shithitfan.gif

happydrunks.gif

I went to the MiCup race this year to see how the electric racers do it.

What I saw: The course is a little tight for the higher speeds that are being run now which makes for too tight races. The waves are having a chance to hit the other side of the course from all of the wave making on the opposite side. A little larger, why not?

One reason why not, it's easier for electric boaters to run in ponds that are too small for Nitro and Gas boaters plus you don't have the noise problems like we do. The pond that the MiCup race was run in could have a slightly larger course if needed.

Need more racing time? Do something about the Mercy Minute. You have too many racers trying to run in too many consecutive classes and that slows down the races a lot when they have to run back and forth from the pond to their pit and back to grab another boat and radio.

My 2 cents from an outsider looking in.

Latest posts

Back