Testing pipes on a stock Miss Vegas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

OK...with all the hoopla about the new Q18 pipe, I picked one up and went to the pond today to try out the stock pipe, the Q18, MACS pipe, Cooper pipe, and the short AB pipe.

I did not do a lot of length adjustment on these pipes, because I wanted to see how they would do as a direct drop in replacement to the stock pipe. I spent A LOT of time trying to get the Q18 to work well, which did not leave me with a lot of time to mess with the others.

The boat was a stock version 1 miss vegas with a Y535 on it. Everything else was OEM (turn fin, rudder, header, etc, etc, etc) except a couple of non-performance parts. We were running 40% nitro with about 16% oil. The plug (made it through the whole test with one plug) was an OD blue. Speed was taken with an onboard Garmin GPS.

First we set a baseline with the stock pipe, to set a goal to beat. Best run we got was 32.1 MPH. Only took about three runs to hit this.

So, out with the stock pipe and in with the Q18. This pipe was VERY quiet. Almost sounded like an electric boat. Start leaning it up an eighth turn at a time until the speed went down, then started richening it back up an eighth turn at a time until it sped up and then slowed back down. Because it was not turning the prop very well, I raised the prop up to see if I could get some more speed from RPM instead of a deeper prop. Out of 8+ runs, the best speed I could get 30.6 MPH. Most runs were mid 20s.

Out with the Q18 and in with the AB short .21 pipe made for 180 degree headers. This is the pipe I run in my mod RTR. Anyhow, I did not have the stuff with me, or the will to fool around with trying to get the pipe to stay where it belongs (it is a shorter pipe than the stock one. So we only made one run with it, during which it came loose. The speed was about 30 MPH. With a header extension, I think this pipe would do better...

Next up was the Cooper QHP pipe. This pipe was quiet too, but not as quiet as the Q18. Best we could muster out of this pipe was a little over 30 MPH...IE 30.xx MPH. Only tried about 5 or 6 runs with it.

Next up was the MACS .21 pipe. This pipe was the one I used to run in my mod RTR before I got called for noise (it is unmuffled). So, it was already cut to fit into the stock location of the OEM pipe. MACS pipes have always been easy to tune for me...within three runs we hit 33.3 MPH, and then we hit 34.2 MPH...so we did not try any more.

Last, we put the stock pipe back in just to make sure the weather heating up was not adversely effecting our runs. We hit 32.7 MPH with the stock pipe in on the first run with it back in.

So...without cutting, and modding a bunch of stuff, it looks like the MACS pipe was the best pipe of the day...with the stock one coming in second.

If I get some more time to do some testing, I might try some other stuff with the pipes...but short of trying them a little longer (most seemed to have their widest point shorter than the MACS pipe), I am really at a loss of what else to try. Any ideas?

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
take the stock pipe and drill a 9/32 hole in the stinger in side try that it seamed to help here anyway

Sean in my testing of the Q 18 i found it likes to be long.. But your right sure does make you lean on the needle compared to the stock pipe.

Alden

Just so you know.. I have TONS of test data on this pipe and truth be told on the old style hull.. The two are not a great combo.. hence the reason for the new hull!

Biggest deal besides fast was quiet.. the pipe NEEDED to be quiet..

The pipe really is a TRUE race pipe.. its a tad peaky and if you try to squeeze every last RPM out of the thing its will bite ya.

ROCK ON!

Grim

Just so you know.. I have TONS of test data on this pipe and truth be told on the old style hull.. The two are not a great combo.. hence the reason for the new hull!
Biggest deal besides fast was quiet.. the pipe NEEDED to be quiet..

The pipe really is a TRUE race pipe.. its a tad peaky and if you try to squeeze every last RPM out of the thing its will bite ya.

ROCK ON!

Grim
Smaller prop won't help it either Grim?? Longer header??

I guess I kind of wanted it to work, because since it comes on the newer Vegas, at least one club here locally will allow me to run it on the old Vegas...but if I can't get any Grrr out of it, then it isnt going to help any...

Sean

sean , would you recommend the q18 pipe for a quiet pipe .I want a quiet pipe for the local lake because there are two many people around ,limit the complantes.lol

Sean,

What fuel, plug are you using?

Also tell me about how you broke the little guy in.

Thanks

Grim

sean , would you recommend the q18 pipe for a quiet pipe .I want a quiet pipe for the local lake because there are two many people around ,limit the complantes.lol

Byron i would think you would have way less complaints with the Q 18 for sure.. Its way quiet for sure.. Somtimes i cant tell its running when starting it..(remember i belt start mine with a electric starter) sounds like a electric boat almost..

Grim would agree i bet.

Alden

for sure its quiet...

Byron

Not so much for the Super Tiger.. ST 18 has two one ways for lack of a better term.. The pin spring system uses no power..

I have one in my SV nitro.. I have a belt on the motor but also the super start.. I use them both.. what ever is handy at the time.

Grim

Sean,

Thanks

Grim

Grim,

Engine is an older AQ engine (not worn out, but not new), has a season or so on it. I break them in by turning the HSN out to 3 turns out, run two tanks, then keep turning it in an eighth of a turn each run until I get it in tune (6 or 7 tanks). I am running 40% nitro and an OD blue plug.

We just got our Deuce in the mail today, but I have not had enough time to compare header lengths, etc. I am thinking that a longer tuned length on the version 1 MV, should give it more torque...just seemed like it did not want to turn the Y535 in the straights with the Q18 on it. Did fine with the OEM muffler or the MACS pipe.

Byron,

VERY quiet pipe...as Camaro said, it almost sounds like an electric engine when it is running...kind of sounds like a vacuum...no louder.

Sean

Sean,

Thanks

Grim

Grim,

Engine is an older AQ engine (not worn out, but not new), has a season or so on it. I break them in by turning the HSN out to 3 turns out, run two tanks, then keep turning it in an eighth of a turn each run until I get it in tune (6 or 7 tanks). I am running 40% nitro and an OD blue plug.

We just got our Deuce in the mail today, but I have not had enough time to compare header lengths, etc. I am thinking that a longer tuned length on the version 1 MV, should give it more torque...just seemed like it did not want to turn the Y535 in the straights with the Q18 on it. Did fine with the OEM muffler or the MACS pipe.

Byron,

VERY quiet pipe...as Camaro said, it almost sounds like an electric engine when it is running...kind of sounds like a vacuum...no louder.

Sean

Sean, you are seeing the same thing i saw. Make that pipe length longer and you should be right back to swingin that 535 at full song.

Alden

Though I still have not compared the header length between the deuce I just got and the MV, I did look on Tower and they do not even list the header for the deuce yet...and are out of the MV header right now too. Going to have to dig through some boxes and see what I have... The MV header used to come a little long when you bought it from tower. Not sure if it still does or not.

Sean

I had to check...measuring from the center of the AQ engine, to the beginning of the pipe, compared to the center of the ST to the beginning of the pipe...looks like the AQ is about a half inch shorter.

The header on the ST bends closer to the engine when compared to the AQ header, so not even sure the ST header would fit in the MV.

Sean

Sean

Yea.. the new header fits the old boat.. you do however have to move the rear pipe mount block back to fit the new pipe and header. The real only reason I designed a new header was so the dang pipe would not sit so close to the hull. If you look at the new boat the pipe fits much better in there.

Grim

Good stuff Sean, I should have my duece today and start checking it over. I do not know who will be running the boat in OKC but we will have the boat ready to go. What was your best length to the weld from engine on the mac? and how did that measurement compare to the q18 as tested? I know you change as few variables as possible in your early testing.

Kelly

Kelly, it looks like the MACS widest spot is about half an inch LONGER than the widest spot on the Q18. So, with the longer header on the Deuce, it looks like the widest spots on the pipes should be right about at the same length (MACS in my boat, and the Q18 in the deuce are real close to the same length). That should place it right about a tuned length (center of engine, down the center of the header, to the widest part of the pipe) of 7.5 inches. I had purchased a muffled MACS for my mod RTR, but wound up sticking it on my seaducer during test and tune on the Friday prior to your race. That boat is running the best it ever has, so I left it there. Guess I will need to order another for my MV.

I am guessing (hoping) that the additional half inch length will allow the MV to pull the Y535. I have not got around to JBing some tube onto a header I found in the bottom of a box to try it yet. That Q18 is VERY quiet...really hoping I can at least match performance, if not beat it...and have a quieter boat.

One of these days, after I have the deuce broke in and figured out, I would like to stick my CVRM in it and see what it does (slower?? Faster??). It will be a few months though... Right now I just want to get it broke in and ready for the race later this month in Del City Oklahoma.

Sean

Kelly, it looks like the MACS widest spot is about half an inch LONGER than the widest spot on the Q18. So, with the longer header on the Deuce, it looks like the widest spots on the pipes should be right about at the same length (MACS in my boat, and the Q18 in the deuce are real close to the same length). That should place it right about a tuned length (center of engine, down the center of the header, to the widest part of the pipe) of 7.5 inches. I had purchased a muffled MACS for my mod RTR, but wound up sticking it on my seaducer during test and tune on the Friday prior to your race. That boat is running the best it ever has, so I left it there. Guess I will need to order another for my MV.
I am guessing (hoping) that the additional half inch length will allow the MV to pull the Y535. I have not got around to JBing some tube onto a header I found in the bottom of a box to try it yet. That Q18 is VERY quiet...really hoping I can at least match performance, if not beat it...and have a quieter boat.

One of these days, after I have the deuce broke in and figured out, I would like to stick my CVRM in it and see what it does (slower?? Faster??). It will be a few months though... Right now I just want to get it broke in and ready for the race later this month in Del City Oklahoma.

Sean
Definately alot mof good info guys.

Is the MAC 2.5 pipe any good for the Aquacraft 18 engine? Does it fit underneath the hull like the stock one?

Latest posts

Back