Team Ducati JAE 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, but I'm considering buying a hat cam this summer... got the idea from GrimRacer. I would love to tape my heats.

Here is an updated pic with some new hardware from last weekend's MMEU P-Shoot Out race.

JAEUpdatedPic.jpg

Updated pic of the "new" internal layout for my JAE. The weight distribution worked out better for me like this.

Inside2.JPG

So it looks like your trying to move more weight towards the back? Did you have a substantial difference in performance and handling?

Later,

Ball

Last edited by a moderator:
The transom seemed a bit light when traveling down the straights and the prop wasn’t as hooked-up as I would have liked. So rather than changing my strut angle from 0 degrees I thought I would try shifting some weight to the rear instead. It appears to have worked.

The prop is connecting with the water better and the front is not as planted. I have removed quite a bit of weight since last year. I’m at 4.5 lbs now with a 4S 3300mAh pack.

Here’s a chart with my last run with the stock S-15. I'm averaging 76 amps with a top end of 57mph, and it is only using 2400mAh during a 2 minute run. The 3300 appears to be enough capacity for heat racing. Time to start bending on the S-15.

S-15_Speed_With_Amps.jpg

Beautiful JAE Sean cool graphs too - great tool for finding the right prop. Looks like you are running very effectively on the ul setup. Nice Job Sean. I see you are not using a AQ esc. This graph shows that the ul1 clearly can handle more than 60 amps -_- .Thanks for the numbers.

Hugh

Last edited:
Sean,

Like your thoughts on moving the ESC to the stern. Mine is still up front with extensions on the motor leads. What turn fin are you using? I'm having some "oversteering" problems exiting the buoy turns since I started propping up.

Pete

The turn fin is one of Mike Hughes (member here on IW).

Some of the more aggressive props like the S-15 do make things a bit more touchy. There is a thread in the general forum about hydro turning dynamics: LINK

Sean,

Thanks for the link. Saw this in the article and wondered if anyone has done this:

Sponson Toe-in

Having a little toe in for the front sponsons is important. I personally use 1/16” toe in on the right sponson and none on the left. What this does is make the boat track straight. There will be no pulling in of the boat under acceleration toward the center of the course. The boat should run totally neutral with a little toe in.

What do you think?

Pete

What is the best ESC for a P limited rigger? I have an AQ 60 Amp ESC and an AQ 2030kV motor. What is a good battery to use with this combo? I'm electric illiterate so keep any info simple please.

Thanks!

P.S. Beautiful boat Sean!

That ESC/motor combo will work well for P-Ltd. A 4 cell lipo with a capacity between 4200mAh and 5000mAh will do for heat racing. I use a 3850mAh pack to save weight, but it is border line for capacity (2 minutes and 15 sec is about the max run time.)

Common lipo brands that you may see at a P-Ltd race include:

Thunder Power

Hyperion

GrimRacer

Turnigy Nano-tech

Back