Tapping with my drill Press or ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Jacuzzi

Gents:

I would like to know how to tap my motor mounts with my drill press to make sure I get them threaded at 90 degrees to the rails. Also my son was telling me about a hand tapping fixture that someone had made that makes sure that everything is straight. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of that.. Thanks Tony J

I've actually used a drill press tap driver. It's basically a clutch inside a tube with a bar that extends out to the back post of the drill press. It works well, though plan on going through a lot of cutting fluid and keeping the drill press at a slow speed. Also, be sure to have a jig of some sort to hold your mounts so they don't get away from you. You might check at some of the industrial tool supply places to see what you can find.

Hey Tony:

On the side of the drill press opposite the handle there should be a cover over the leaf spring, mine's secured with two jam nuts. Loosen the nuts and carefully pull the cover out and the spring should unwind, then the quill will drop on it's own. Be sure the stop is backed off all the way and you should be able to hand feed the tap into the work, backing it out to clear the chips every turn or so. Re-wind the spring when done. :)

ps: I like Tapmagic for aluminum, really helps, or just use WD-40...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tony

Go to USE-ENCO.COM and look up part # NQ318-0007 Its a hand tapper and it on sale now $84.95 and it works great ,i just got one.

Deryl

Just my opinion , but save yourself a lot of time and money and just tap it by hand using a square for reference as needed . If you try to use the drill press or tapping attachment you will need the highest quality 2 flute spiral point tap to do the job . Just my opinion but I have tapped thousands of pieces over the years . :rolleyes:

Good Gawd! You can hang a lead weight fastened to a stretched out coat hanger hooked on your drillpress

4 way handle and turn the the chuck with your hand to tap straight holes. Don't need to spend a fortune

doin' somethin' like that.

I'm still laffin' :lol:

I've used my drill press to get 90 deg threads. Pull the belt off so the spindle turns free, chuck the tap and clamp a set of 6" Vise Grips to the shaft. Slow going by hand, but works like a champ.

.............Im not so sure I have ever seen a discussion so in depth about tapping a straight hole.................... :ph34r:

.............Im not so sure I have ever seen a discussion so in depth about tapping a straight hole.................... :ph34r:
You could use a piece of nylon with a hole the size of the tap and do a good job . Or spend a small fortune and tap you butt off.

If you want to be real precise send your work out ..................

Back