Forum idea for tools!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
Just an idea! I was cleaning up tonight and was thinking man it would be great to have a tool forum. Every now and again I see something that someone did and wonder how in the heck did they do that. It’s always creative but sometimes they used a tool to do something that you never knew about.
For instance, when Dremel came out with the 90 degree attachment for the ever popular Dremel tool, I was in heaven. I use that thing with the attachment ten times more then I use one without but your still limited. Another tool that I use all the time that is really cool is this 90 degree attachment that you use with a drill. This is just a handful of the tips that I have but there are a bunch of tips available for it. The drill bits are available in all sorts of lengths and sizes. There is a chuck available so any bit with a 1/4” shank can fit on it. Of course there are Phillip, flat head and Allen head attachments but I mainly use it to drill holes for water lines, push rods, engine mounts, fuel tank mounts, radio box’s and so on. I know that they are available on most good tool trucks but I don’t know who makes them or who else sells them.
Just thought that I would share, should be easy to look up on the net but other then the Dremel thing, I use the heck out of this thing.

Attachments

• 0BCD75AC-11D2-47BC-9AB6-E9B4519A831C.jpeg
    0BCD75AC-11D2-47BC-9AB6-E9B4519A831C.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 69
While I like the idea, it could run into a problem. To make it work, it would probably need to be divided into subforums for various types of build required tools. Let me tell you why I say that:
  • Scratch/Plans builds require more in the line of saws, bench mounted sanders, drill presses and other fabrication tools since the builder is actually fabricating the parts needed to build a boat
  • FG builds are usually going to require more along the lines of smaller trimming and fitting types of tools and FG lay-up types of equipment
  • Kit builds are, in most cases, glue and clamp and not much else. Granted, a Dremel and handheld power sanders would be nice but not really necessarily to complete a build, other than installing running and radio gear
You could break it down into woodworking, FG and machine tools/equipment subforums as well. As I see it, it wouldn't make much sense to have someone start a thread to ask about a CNC router table that uses, for example, a Bosch hand router and have someone post a reply about a 48" metal lathe. Separate the two, like with tunnel and vee hulled boats and it "should" prevent that problem
Just a thought though, if the admins like the idea, I'm good with it :cool:

I think most people know what the main tools are Hydro. I think Chris is going for tips and tricks type. The tool he post is not your ordinary tool you have in your tool box. I got some that I can post that most people have in there shop but have never thought of using them that way. Need pics first.
Mike

yea this could be good .
like junkie said,it can actually be 2 for simplicity of search and esp for newcomers ,also if ur "not that deep" u wont be bogged down by the complexity in names alone of fancy tools.

we can have a simple hand tool section witch could include corded/cordless wood trimming/metal trimming tools- like routers,grinding,sanding,drilling tools .

then a "shop" tool section where u would have all ur big budget stuff --mills,lathes,planers,any cnc stuff,laser cutters etc

Just an idea! I was cleaning up tonight and was thinking man it would be great to have a tool forum. Every now and again I see something that someone did and wonder how in the heck did they do that. It’s always creative but sometimes they used a tool to do something that you never knew about.
For instance, when Dremel came out with the 90 degree attachment for the ever popular Dremel tool, I was in heaven. I use that thing with the attachment ten times more then I use one without but your still limited. Another tool that I use all the time that is really cool is this 90 degree attachment that you use with a drill. This is just a handful of the tips that I have but there are a bunch of tips available for it. The drill bits are available in all sorts of lengths and sizes. There is a chuck available so any bit with a 1/4” shank can fit on it. Of course there are Phillip, flat head and Allen head attachments but I mainly use it to drill holes for water lines, push rods, engine mounts, fuel tank mounts, radio box’s and so on. I know that they are available on most good tool trucks but I don’t know who makes them or who else sells them.
Just thought that I would share, should be easy to look up on the net but other then the Dremel thing, I use the heck out of this thing.
Great idea Chris. I would check a forum like this often.

I think most people know what the main tools are Hydro. I think Chris is going for tips and tricks type. The tool he post is not your ordinary tool you have in your tool box. I got some that I can post that most people have in there shop but have never thought of using them that way. Need pics first.
Mike
I totally agree, Mike. I was just using the more common tools as examples since it would make more sense to everyone than throwing out examples that are unique or one-off homemade types. Now, if the admins do set up a tool forum, I'm sure they will come up with guidelines on what they think should and shouldn't be included.

Back