Support for RTR's? :)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idropurbox

WOW! As a novice racer I have been worrying about buying all the fastest and latest equipment just so that I can compete. But as you all can tell I am really, really green. I have spent a lot of money on stuff so far and don't have anything ready to race as of yet, although I think I may be close with the OPS.45 powered MAUS/SX45 if I can get it tuned and set up properly by the time the season starts.

I'm really not sure if there is a class for my original purchase...An old Lap Cat III Powered by an 11cc K/B outboard. That was an impulsive ebay purchase when I first decided I wanted to start boating. I've had to totaly rework the boat since I got it, and it's pretty fast and handles great, much faster in fact that the MAUS which has the same size hull with a smaller but more powerfull motor and should be a faster, better handling boat. I have had troubles with the radio in the LAP CAT III though, the boat came with servos but no radio so I purchased a Spektrun DX2. I used the servos that were in the boat when I got it, a Futaba coreless High Tork 9305 for the steering, and a standard Futaba for the throttle and a 6.0v NMh to power everything. Well for some reason I kept getting glitches. I followed the binding proceedures precisely and everything would work fine at home, and when I would get to the pond I would do a radio check on the shoreline and everything would checkout fine, but I would launch the boat and lose the radio after a lap or less. When I would bring it back in I could see the servos jittering especially the steering servo which would go all the way left or right really fast and then slowly move back to center! Some guy's at the pond said that they had that problem with their DX2's as well and to replace the servos with digital servos so I did and once again had the same problem. So I took the radio back and they exchanged the transmitter and receiver for new ones. The next time I went out it worked pretty good for most of the day and then I started having some problems again, but I'm not sure if it was electronic or not because as I paddled out to recover the boat I noticed that the servo arm had stripped out. So I may have hit something in the water and that may have been what caused the problems and I just didn't notice until then. I have since replaced the servo arm and will try again this weekend. I will pray not to smash my boat into the wall!

In closing I ask all of you will I be considered a sellout to the hobby for buying an RTR to practice my driving skills and learning with that while I'm working on my real stuff? I mean I can always mod that boat and move up right? And when I outgrow it I can just sell it and play with all of the rest of the big boys. I just don't want to be 40 years old with a RTR and get laughed out of the pond!!! RTR almost seems like cheating. I look up to those of you that have been doing this for awhile and would like all of your input on this matter.

Thanks to all of you on this forum that have been kind enough to respond to my posts, and to those of you that have called me and taken my calls to help me out I really appreciate all the help that you've given me so far, and I look forward to meeting as many of you as I can in the upcoming race season. For all of you that I haven't met yet, My name is Tom C. I live in Las Vegas, NV, and I will be racing in NAMBA District 19 in 2008! Watch out for the ROOKIE!!! B)

Thanks,

Tom

Well first off, Welcome! Second off, NO, you wont be laughed at for buying a rtr. As long as it is a miss vegas :D . In all honesty, you might be surprised at just how fast the vegas can go with a few small mods to the hull/motor/pipe. There are many here that can help you out, me included, with making your Vegas run in the low 40's. To this cat, 40 mph isnt all that slow..... I also have 2 sport 20 boats im working on, and have had NUMEROUS tunnel hulls, but I have to be honest with you. The Miss Vegas is one of the most fun boats I have ever ran. Its dead reliable, and handles rough water like you wouldnt belive. I bet I put 2 gallons through mine last year easily, its a blast!

In closing I ask all of you will I be considered a sellout to the hobby for buying an RTR to practice my driving skills and learning with that while I'm working on my real stuff? I mean I can always mod that boat and move up right? And when I outgrow it I can just sell it and play with all of the rest of the big boys. I just don't want to be 40 years old with a RTR and get laughed out of the pond!!! RTR almost seems like cheating. I look up to those of you that have been doing this for awhile and would like all of your input on this matter.[/size][/font]
I don't know where you got the idea that you would be a sellout. Many boaters that have been in the hobby for a long time have bought and race RTRs. I have met one that actually built one to resemble a Vegas. He used all Vegas hardware and engine.

I myself have a Vegas that I race and also have 3 gas boats. I feel the RTR class is a PUBLICITY class. It speaks volumes when the CD starts telling everyone that you can get these boats ready to run for $300. People interested in boating but just don't have $$ find it easy to let go of $300. After the race they come by the tents and see what is all included and ask where to get one. This includes kids and parents alike.

Don't worry about what anyone thinks get your boats and run them. That is what it's all about.

Later

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The RTR's are real fun and when they race they really show driver skill becasue the boats are so close in performance. Take all your boats to the lake. Work on timing a start and driving in lanes with your RTR,.. then go nuts with your higher powered boats..

Well first off, Welcome! Second off, NO, you wont be laughed at for buying a rtr. As long as it is a miss vegas :D . In all honesty, you might be surprised at just how fast the vegas can go with a few small mods to the hull/motor/pipe. There are many here that can help you out, me included, with making your Vegas run in the low 40's. To this cat, 40 mph isnt all that slow..... I also have 2 sport 20 boats im working on, and have had NUMEROUS tunnel hulls, but I have to be honest with you. The Miss Vegas is one of the most fun boats I have ever ran. Its dead reliable, and handles rough water like you wouldnt belive. I bet I put 2 gallons through mine last year easily, its a blast!
Yea, all the guy's in my club are running the Miss Vegas. My best friend has the fastest one I've ever seen with a custom motor built by the guy guy that does the motors for Twisted Liquid. I guess he's only done up two other motors like this one and let me tell you it's fast! I've seen him Kick butt on a couple of Vegas' with .21's in 'em.

Thanks for helping me spend my Christmas money guys!!!!!

In closing I ask all of you will I be considered a sellout to the hobby for buying an RTR to practice my driving skills and learning with that while I'm working on my real stuff? I mean I can always mod that boat and move up right? And when I outgrow it I can just sell it and play with all of the rest of the big boys. I just don't want to be 40 years old with a RTR and get laughed out of the pond!!! RTR almost seems like cheating. I look up to those of you that have been doing this for awhile and would like all of your input on this matter.[/size][/font]
I don't know where you got the idea that you would be a sellout. Many boaters that have been in the hobby for a long time have bought and race RTRs. I have met one that actually built one to resemble a Vegas. He used all Vegas hardware and engine.

I myself have a Vegas that I race and also have 3 gas boats. I feel the RTR class is a PUBLICITY class. It speaks volumes when the CD starts telling everyone that you can get these boats ready to run for $300. People interested in boating but just don't have $$ find it easy to let go of $300. After the race they come by the tents and see what is all included and ask where to get one. This includes kids and parents alike.

Don't worry about what anyone thinks get your boats and run them. That is what it's all about.

Later
Thanks for the reply.

Later
Thanks for the advice Anthony!

Back