Super thin titanium rudder blades.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys ,

I did some quick checking about coolant passage carbide drills. I'll have to call one of the reps that calls on my shop for the really small ones. With a quick check I found drills down to .118(3mm), that will drill 40x dia., 105mm flute length, 150mm oa. They are made by OSG, part#8567130. They do have coolant passages. I'll make some calls, I'm pretty sure one of my reps said he's got them down to 3/64", I'm just not sure of the length. I'll follow up, and post more info as I get it. Terry, I hope this helps. They also make hole drilling EDM machines that would do the job, they can go way smaller than you want. My company makes dental instruments, and we already get some stuff done. If you want, I could probably hook you up with a shop that does that kind of work. We don't do it in house.

Regards,

Bob

After a bunch of testing I got a process down that ended up drilling the hole straight to a couple thou!

DSCN5006.JPG

Testing is over!!!
default_smile.png
It took me a while but I finally figured out how Terry post his photos taken in such a clean shop.

He has 2 shops. One for working in and another for taking photos in.

You are slick.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Charles

Guys ,

I did some quick checking about coolant passage carbide drills. I'll have to call one of the reps that calls on my shop for the really small ones. With a quick check I found drills down to .118(3mm), that will drill 40x dia., 105mm flute length, 150mm oa. They are made by OSG, part#8567130. They do have coolant passages. I'll make some calls, I'm pretty sure one of my reps said he's got them down to 3/64", I'm just not sure of the length. I'll follow up, and post more info as I get it. Terry, I hope this helps. They also make hole drilling EDM machines that would do the job, they can go way smaller than you want. My company makes dental instruments, and we already get some stuff done. If you want, I could probably hook you up with a shop that does that kind of work. We don't do it in house.

Regards,

Bob
Thanks Bob, I found Guhring makes 3 mm through coolant drills too but nothing smaller.
default_sad.png

It took me a while but I finally figured out how Terry post his photos taken in such a clean shop.

He has 2 shops. One for working in and another for taking photos in.

You are slick.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Charles
Slick or just sick?
default_laugh.png

Hi Terry, Get with Bill Cummings on how to drill straight holes. He made a lot of rudder blades for us back in th 90's when we were selling them.I think you have his phone or e-mail address from your time trial days. JB

Got all the holes done. Used a 3/64" drill on the little guy, did it in the mill for better feel, cheated a bit as I went in from each end and going to plug the hole at the bottom. Broke a drill off inside one of them and was lucky to find a shop to EDM it out cheap.

Ended up sharpening another 3/64 bit and splitting the point on my drill grinder to get it done!
default_wacko.png

DSCN5021.JPG

DSCN5043.JPG

DSCN5051.JPG

DSCN5054.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back