Stripped Screw

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
krpnova said:
Mike sure knows what it's like to have a screw loose!...............lol
85836[/snapback]

Yea he sure was on top if that Bob :D

Ron

Won't the aluminum melt before the silver solder melts? Regular electronic solder (or 2% silver solder) won't be strong enough to get a stubborn screw out.

Rudy Formanek said:
Won't the aluminum melt before the silver solder melts? Regular electronic solder (or 2%  silver solder) won't be strong enough to get a stubborn screw out.
85905[/snapback]

Kinda what I was thinking. If the screw head is stiripped out it is prolly because the screw was IN THERE. Silver solder that I have seen won't take that kinda abuse. Did you get it out yet Charley?

Adam

Jerry,

I can't believe it took 26 posts for you to comment.. You must be trying to break the all time posting record.. :p

No, it's not out yet..

Charley

It's "stuck" in a Lawless or k&b lower?? Block the thing up straight (or flat) and

drill out the center out with a drillpress and send the propper "tap" thru to cleanout

whats left of the old threads :huh: No? Forget tryin' to solder anything on there

it's probably a "stainless" screw anyway, yeah? :huh:

The trick is really no trick at all... fast heat.. 50w iron (not gun) and the proper flux. SS or steel does not matter..

Alum is not going to know the dif.. if you are getting it that hot you are not going not have to worry about the screw.. there will not be any threads around the screw to hold it in.

Besides i would heat the area before i tried to turn the screw out.. heat is your best friend.... Well,, besides Ron Byrd.. :D

ROCK ON

Grim

Bob..

I have had loose screws and tight nuts for years... Takes one to know one..hehehehee :lol: :p :D

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimracer said:
Bob..
I have had loose screws and tight nuts for years... Takes one to know one..hehehehee :lol:   :p   :D

Grim

85999[/snapback]

As for the loose screws we all have em from time to time its the tight nuts that should worry you, go get a physical. :lol:

Rock N Roll is here to Stay!

Ron

charley take the rest of the screws off. then grind the head of the stripped screw. take the l/u off. then take a vicegrip and take the screw off.Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigtmare said:
charley take the rest of the screws off. then grind the head of the stripped screw. take the l/w off. then take a vicegrip and take the the screw off.Nick
86055[/snapback]

GOOD IDEA NICK :eek: I'm Impressed!

Jerry Wyss said:
Nigtmare said:
charley take the rest of the screws off. then grind the head of the stripped screw. take the l/w off. then take a vicegrip and take the the screw off.Nick
86055[/snapback]

GOOD IDEA NICK :eek: I'm Impressed!

86063[/snapback]

Jerry I'm a mechanic by trade so I done that many times.I'm not Not just a pretty face you know :lol: :lol:

Guess I don't understand, Nick.. WHat's the "l/w"? It's a countersunk screw. What will the vice grip grab on to?

Charley

CHowarth said:
Guess I don't understand, Nick.. WHat's the "l/w"?  It's a countersunk screw. What will the vice grip grab on to?
Charley

86069[/snapback]

Sorry charley that is the lower unit.ones you take the unit off the screw will stick up a little so you can get the vice grip on it.hope that helps.Nick

CHowarth said:
It's an OS Lower unit.. You can't split it in half..

Charley

86074[/snapback]

can you post a pic of the unit and the screw?

ps I think you did a little boo boo on the pipes for sale prices :eek: :unsure:

Nick

Back