Starter batteries Lipo's???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Jefferson

I'm currently using two lead acid 12v batteries to run my 12/24v starter for my nitro engines. I'm wanting to use lipo's because they're smaller and lighter. Can someone recommend what lipo batteries I can use that will be equal power wise and keep a charge? Any suggestions??? And, what would each pack weigh? Where do you buy them etc.?

Thanks, Ron

I'm currently using two lead acid 12v batteries to run my 12/24v starter for my nitro engines. I'm wanting to use lipo's because they're smaller and lighter. Can someone recommend what lipo batteries I can use that will be equal power wise and keep a charge? Any suggestions??? And, what would each pack weigh? Where do you buy them etc.?
Thanks, Ron
It would cost you alot for a lipo starter pack, you would need at least a 4s pck with hi I draw. Expensive.

Thanks, Ron
It would cost you alot for a lipo starter pack, you would need at least a 4s pck with hi I draw. Expensive.
What's expensive?

Ron

Thanks, Ron
What's expensive?

Ron

http://www.rclipos.com/Elite.htm

I've used the two 4S packs out of my P mono to run my Sullivan starter. This is serious over kill becasus a day of starting both gas and nitro boats only used about 10% of the battery capacity. You get a portable start system, but the cost is high. Not only do you need the batteries, you also need a balancing lipo charger. The best cost over $200, but the costs keep coming down. I've seen acceptable ones for less than $100.

The cool factor is the best part. Who else has a V8 start system?

Lohring Miller

maxamps.com, 2 2cell 5000 mah pack's would be great, any li-po campatible charger will work fine, you wouldnt need anymore charger than one that will charge at 5 amp's, and there's inexpensive ballancer's but if your only using the li-po's to start engine's not neccary your not running the batterys down and recharging them several time's a day there are cheaper batterys out the there too, just have to look around,

I use a 5s2p starting system on my nitro boats.

i think that the cells are 20C 3200's so i have 6400mAH total.

THe starter really rips and ive not noticed any problems with the system. Plus its heaps lighter than lugging about a 12v lead acid battery all the time in the starting box. The 5s is a bit more voltage than what is needed but the boats are starting first time now. I can start them on 4s but i struggles a bit. Could be my starter getting old also.

I was testing for a whole day a few weeks ago and the lipo starting system never let me down. I used only 1000mAh out of it, so i could within reason go a whole 2 test days and 3-4 race days on the one charge. I would have started my 2 boats tested approx 20 times each.

Great way to go, and lipos these days are releatively cheap

Just make sure you dont short them out, they really dont like it and also charge them correctly. IF you follow the manufactures instructions they will far out last the lead acid charging cells of current.

Dave

RJ:check out this 18V Makita setup that was posted on Jims, and used by Helicopter guys. Its actually looks pretty cool... TJ

http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
Tony, Do you know anyone who has used this setup? If so is there any complaints? I just might have to order one of these if they have the tourqe to start a big block. Ryon Shaw

Ryon I dont have any personal experience with this setup, but the link came from Jims. If I had 18V Makita instead of Ridgid and DeWalt I would give it a shot on one of my spare starters. That would sure be a lightweight setup and easy to have a spare battery etc. if it worked

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t318059p6/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back