Starter battery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAMBA860

What’s everybody using for starter battery’s these days? I have always used two 12 volt dry cells. Do they make 12 volt Lipos or?

To add to Mikes post, a fully charged 4s lipo is 16.80V & a 3s is 12.60V. I run my Sullivan 12V Starter with a cheap Gens Ace 4s 2200mah 45-60C rated lipo. Going on 6 years with no damage/wear to the starter or my battery. Granted I’m just using it to start my .12 Nova. But I have lent it out a few times at races, biggest engine it’s been used on was a .46 w/o any trouble. Capacity stays around 80% after 2 day races or 20+ starts on my .12 engine when testing. I keep my lipos at storage voltage using my charger if not being used within 2 days.

What’s everybody using for starter battery’s these days? I have always used two 12 volt dry cells. Do they make 12 volt Lipos or?

Depends on what starter you have and what you are planning to start with it.

If your used to 24 volt assuming you surely meant your two 12's were in series then your going to need 6S.

If your running a 24 volt starter on 24 volt then nothing 3 or 4S is going to come close to the power it had on 24 volt.

You will need a LiPo 6S battery if you want to to start what it could with 24 volt. It has to be a decent C rating too or starter will just puff the pack the first time you stall the starter and amp draw goes through the roof.

Last edited:
Been using the 2 12 Gel cells for several years . Love the power hate the weight and I need to find a nice spiral wound 14 or 16 gauge cord so I can get rid of the rather stiff SO cords I have used .

Anyone have a sketch or plan for a starter box to house the 2 gel cell batteries? Compact yet functional...

Been using the 2 12 Gel cells for several years . Love the power hate the weight and I need to find a nice spiral wound 14 or 16 gauge cord so I can get rid of the rather stiff SO cords I have used .

Large gauge speaker wire is what I use..
10 gauge subwoofer wire from any car stereo place. it's fine stranded and very flexible.

I've used it for years and it's held up fine to nitro and gas fumes.. I use 2 - 12 volt gel cells
(24 volt) on a dynatron. Batteries, cord, relay, starter all fit inside of a Rubbermaid step stool thing that has a latching lid and carry handle built into it. I keep my glow driver and 5/16" nut driver in there too..

Can't tell you how many times I have seen pit people in a panic, grab my box when their wore out junk fails to spin over a motor and pit time is running out...

Same exact one as mine...
https://offerup.com/item/detail/328820380

Last edited:
I use an MPI MAX Products flight box. Starter sits in the top of the starter box. Two 12 volt gel cells fit tight side by side. Mine are wired up with banana jacks on one side. Made a jumper wire to plug in to a negative from one cell to the positive of the other if I need the extra power. The starter box clips on to the flight box that has two drawers. An open area in the top I use to hold my magic fishing real and tennis ball. On the side opposite the starter box is room with velcro straps for a gallon of fuel. I use a hand pump so it just lays in the top. I don't have a coiled cord. Just what came on my Sulivan starter. Thought about a coiled cord. But figured it was just something else to get tangled up. Works for me. But I never ran more than two boats at a race. And so far nothing bigger than a .45...
Ken

I buy a little tractor battery, I made a box for it and the starter and the battery lasts me for years. Back when I was running nitro back in mid 70's most of the batteries wouldn't start a 60 without loosening the plug. The lead acid battery had no problem, of course back then we only had nicads, so the little tractor battery meet my needs. Usually lasts 3-5 years and I keep it on a battery tender in the winter.

Large gauge speaker wire is what I use..
10 gauge subwoofer wire from any car stereo place. it's fine stranded and very flexible.

I've used it for years and it's held up fine to nitro and gas fumes.. I use 2 - 12 volt gel cells
(24 volt) on a dynatron. Batteries, cord, relay, starter all fit inside of a Rubbermaid step stool thing that has a latching lid and carry handle built into it. I keep my glow driver and 5/16" nut driver in there too..

Can't tell you how many times I have seen pit people in a panic, grab my box when their wore out junk fails to spin over a motor and pit time is running out...

Same exact one as mine...
https://offerup.com/item/detail/328820380
This is almost my exact setup, including the speaker wire😀

I use an MPI MAX Products flight box. Starter sits in the top of the starter box. Two 12 volt gel cells fit tight side by side. Mine are wired up with banana jacks on one side. Made a jumper wire to plug in to a negative from one cell to the positive of the other if I need the extra power. The starter box clips on to the flight box that has two drawers. An open area in the top I use to hold my magic fishing real and tennis ball. On the side opposite the starter box is room with velcro straps for a gallon of fuel. I use a hand pump so it just lays in the top. I don't have a coiled cord. Just what came on my Sulivan starter. Thought about a coiled cord. But figured it was just something else to get tangled up. Works for me. But I never ran more than two boats at a race. And so far nothing bigger than a .45...
Ken
6 - 7 boats .......21 - Twin .91 - 1.01

20 years ago this was my setup. Little case is full of NiMh cells for 24 volt output and center tapped for 12 volt charging each half. Worked well until the big gas engines came to town. Then went to a Sullivan model 4 with two lawn tractor batteries in series. When that wasn't enough I built my own that makes twice the torque with only 12 volt battery.

FwlJgXB.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back