sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock Miss Vegas is legal in IMPBA sport 20 class it depends on the mods you do if it remains legal. As for NAMBA you will have to ask someone in NAMBA.

Unless something has recently changed it's always been my understanding that the BBY War Eagle (40 sized lobster boat) IS legal in NAMBA sport 40. It was previously ruled NOT legal in IMPBA sport 40 as it is considered a modified outrigger. :blink:
What about a modified Miss Vegas Hull (with a 21 engine)? What IMPBA and NAMBA class would it run in? Will in run in sport 20 or does it have to run against the outriggers? :unsure:

Look at the NAMBA rule book the Vegas is not legal in sport 20 hydro....It would take moving strut to bottom of the boat
Can somebody please explain what a "mod rigger" is? Where in the IMPBA rules is it defined?

[quote name='rocketcity' date='Sep 29 2006, 07:39 AM'

Can somebody please explain what a "mod rigger" is? Where in the IMPBA rules is it defined?

You have just hit the problem on the head with that rule.

It leaves the interpretation of the rule to the C/D of that particular race.

This really puts a stop to the growthof the class, just like not allowing rear ride surfaces when the Unlimited Lights and full size Unlimiteds have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really puts a stop to the growthof the class, just like not allowing rear ride surfaces when the Unlimited Lights and full size Unlimiteds have them.
One has to wonder if allowing design changes which make most other styles obsolete would contribute to "the growth of the class". There's certainly something to be said for keeping up with the times, but if that results in making significant numbers of boats no longer competitive, will more people upgrade their boats, or just drop out of the class?

rocketcity said:

The boat we are talking about is a rigger no question about it. I does not comply under the rule of a 3-point hydro in our rule book. The line of a mod. rigger in the rule book is to help define a 3-point hydro. The sport hydro rules in the IMPBA rule book are for a sport class only. It does not come under a scale class, only a semi-scale or scale appearing. Thus the name Sport Hydro is the name of the class. The rules are define very well in this class for IMPBA and everyone that builds a sport hydro works within those rules. The boat in question was built for NAMBA rules only. If you don't know what a mod. rigger is then you don't know what a rigger is.

Mark

One has to wonder if allowing design changes which make most other styles obsolete would contribute to "the growth of the class". There's certainly something to be said for keeping up with the times, but if that results in making significant numbers of boats no longer competitive, will more people upgrade their boats, or just drop out of the class?
They would build a better boat. Old timers don't want to get beat either ;)

rocketcity said:

The boat we are talking about is a rigger no question about it. I does not comply under the rule of a 3-point hydro in our rule book. The line of a mod. rigger in the rule book is to help define a 3-point hydro. The sport hydro rules in the IMPBA rule book are for a sport class only. It does not come under a scale class, only a semi-scale or scale appearing. Thus the name Sport Hydro is the name of the class. The rules are define very well in this class for IMPBA and everyone that builds a sport hydro works within those rules. The boat in question was built for NAMBA rules only. If you don't know what a mod. rigger is then you don't know what a rigger is.

Mark

3 point hydro would be a boat that rides on two sponson surfaces and a prop. That is what a rigger is and that is what a sport hydro is. That seems pretty cut and dry. Remember the name of the 'rigger class is _ _ Hydro.

Remember in full scale racing what a stir the Lobster Boat created? Did all that stiring get them any where? When that boat BROKE IN HALF did they build another one like it? If it didn't break, would other teams have dropped out or built one to be competitive? I think the almost universal switch to turbines says that old racers can learn new tricks, and not be left behind, or quit all together.

Since the intention of Sport hydro class is to have "semi scale" appearing boats, and a "3 point hydro" is both a rigger or a scale hydro, then what's wrong with a modded rigger that looks something like the real Winston Lobster Boat? Can't the Tuttle sport boat be painted up that way, and look much like the full size? Are people complaing about it 'cause it's so much faster than other sport hydros...? I can't imagine it's all that much faster (if at all), and since a full size boat looked similar, I think it should be legal. My 2¢.

Duane

Under IMPBA rules a Hydro points are deter,ined by removing the hardware and setting the hull on aflat surface to determine how many points a hydro has IMBA also has drawings that determine if a hull falls into the sport 40 class.

Bottom line it is up to the manufature to submit plans /spec to the technical committee to determine if a hull is legal this has not been done with the hull in question.

I really don't understand why people are trying to beat up on this or split hairs. It is all in the rule book for all to read. The rule for a 3-point hydro is in the Technical Standards on page K-7. Here is the rule of a 3-point from that section:

a. 3-Point Suspension Hull: Will have two individual steps separated by a continuous

"hull". These steps shall terminate at or before "hull" midpoint. The hull must be

continuous with no steps or extra planning surfaces aft of hull midpoint. Air trap

devices shall be a maximum of .125" across the bottom surface for engine class B

or larger with no restriction on depth. Airfoils, wings, air dams, ground effects

devices, etc., shall have no limitation, considering no hydrodynamic support is

gained from the device. See Nitro Special Classes, “Sportsman Hydro” for

Additional Specialized class boat specifications.

The first line in this explains the boat completely by saying "Will have two individual steps separated by a continuous "hull".". So with this said that a boat with any kind of booms, bars, or wings connecting the sponsons to the hull is not legal.

Mark

I really don't understand why people are trying to beat up on this or split hairs. It is all in the rule book for all to read. The rule for a 3-point hydro is in the Technical Standards on page K-7. Here is the rule of a 3-point from that section:

a. 3-Point Suspension Hull: Will have two individual steps separated by a continuous

"hull". These steps shall terminate at or before "hull" midpoint. The hull must be

continuous with no steps or extra planning surfaces aft of hull midpoint. Air trap

devices shall be a maximum of .125" across the bottom surface for engine class B

or larger with no restriction on depth. Airfoils, wings, air dams, ground effects

The first line in this explains the boat completely by saying "Will have two individual steps separated by a continuous "hull".". So with this said that a boat with any kind of booms, bars, or wings connecting the sponsons to the hull is not legal.

Mark

Mark,

If a guy was to buy this " illegal" boat.. and pull the top skin off and skin it so it is all one pc would it then be considered legal??

just asking

chris

Chris,

The IMPBA rulebook shows an illustration of a sport hull. Along with that illustration it states that transom cut outs are illegal. The hull discussed here has two cut outs (one on each side of the hull) that extend forward, beyond the rear of the sponsons. Therefore, it should be illegal.

Mark

Mark,

If a guy was to buy this " illegal" boat.. and pull the top skin off and skin it so it is all one pc would it then be considered legal??

just asking

chris
Yes because the sponsons themself would not be connected to a continuous hull.

Mark

Mark,

just asking

chris
Yes because the sponsons themself would not be connected to a continuous hull.

If i connected them to the hull then would it be legal??

chris

:( I feel so sorry for this hobby in general ... All the pissing & moaning about the implied or actual rules does nothing but hurt it's growth <_<

I have one of Bob Tuttles Sport 21's, and this I can say, it runs like a sport boat, looks like a sport boat & even flies like a sport boat :rolleyes:

It is No where near as fast as my .21 riggers either.

So here we have an actual model that does perform better than the accepted basis design we now have, so why not allow better designs to flourish leading to further improvements ? .... Kind of silly to be so close minded when a better mouse trap has be designed :blink:

So you change the rules everytime someone comes out with a new boat that does not fit the rules? B)

:( I feel so sorry for this hobby in general ... All the pissing & moaning about the implied or actual rules does nothing but hurt it's growth <_<

I have one of Bob Tuttles Sport 21's, and this I can say, it runs like a sport boat, looks like a sport boat & even flies like a sport boat :rolleyes:

It is No where near as fast as my .21 riggers either.

So here we have an actual model that does perform better than the accepted basis design we now have, so why not allow better designs to flourish leading to further improvements ? .... Kind of silly to be so close minded when a better mouse trap has be designed :blink:

Well all that has to be done is have the hull classified per the rules IMPBA has. If it fit the design of the sport boats and runs like a sport boat it will be a sport boat. Just cause some of the know it all experts say it is not right dont make it so.

I too think it would be a good sport boat and not be something dominating the class.

Like I said earlier it can be modified to further make it look like a regular sport boat.

Why does NAMBA have all those measurement rules for transom and belly pan? Oh and why dont NAMBA allow struts on the rear of the transom?

We both have silly rules to have to deal with :lol:

take no offense please

PHIL

The stock Miss Vegas is legal in IMPBA sport 20 class it depends on the mods you do if it remains legal. As for NAMBA you will have to ask someone in NAMBA.

Unless something has recently changed it's always been my understanding that the BBY War Eagle (40 sized lobster boat) IS legal in NAMBA sport 40. It was previously ruled NOT legal in IMPBA sport 40 as it is considered a modified outrigger. :blink:
What about a modified Miss Vegas Hull (with a 21 engine)? What IMPBA and NAMBA class would it run in? Will in run in sport 20 or does it have to run against the outriggers? :unsure:

Look at the NAMBA rule book the Vegas is not legal in sport 20 hydro....It would take moving strut to bottom of the boat
So if I install a Miss LLumar strut or a modified Miss Vegas strut attached to the inside of the transom and through the bottom? Also, it looks like I need to retain the tail fins?

So if I install a Miss LLumar strut or a modified Miss Vegas strut attached to the inside of the transom and through the bottom? Also, it looks like I need to retain the tail fins?
In NAMBA, the strut must be inside the boat. In IMPBA, the strut can be inside or outside (which is great by the way). You can remove the fins if you want.

Brian

Chris,

It don't do any good to be different and build something within the rules they will just come up with a rule to deem it illegal... Aint't that right Marty Davis? That goes for the sport 40 I built and was 100% LEGAL only to have Marty invest into this boat and politic to make it and future boats of it's liking illegal.

Still haven't heard a word why the rules were changed to make such a legal boat illegal either.

James

hey phil.

i read 7 pages on there and nobody can say give a firm awnser.. it is all what the FEEL is legal..

guess i will just get one and wait for the confrontation lol..

chris

I guess i would just like to have the guy that makes them send one to impba but i have emailed him 3 times and p.m'ed him 4 and won't respond to me.. figure's.

i would like to have this class continue to grow but there is a limited number of boats you can buy.. why not try to broden the selection..

guess that would be to obvious.

chris

I guess i would just like to have the guy that makes them send one to impba but i have emailed him 3 times and p.m'ed him 4 and won't respond to me.. figure's.

I know Bob and if you want one he'l sell you one but He's not going to get involved in the politics of changing rules, He disigned and built a boat that fits the NAMBA rule book. ( you know the one with all the measurements )

The boat looks grate and runs even better.

Back