sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I am sure its a good boat. Its not legal for the impba. I dont have a rule book in front of me but I believe there is a minimum transom width like on the sport 40 rule. If there wasnt a rule like that, we would all be running a boat like that. Ken

I have asked 3 or so people and some say yes some say no..

The sport 20 that bob tuttle make's.. is i legal or not.. for the impba. this is regarding the pink boat that someone posted in the general forum regarding sport 20 boats.

thanks for you help.

chris wood

here is the picture

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=478&pos=1
Chris,

It is not a legal boat for IMPBA. It's called a modified rigger. I explained what a modified rigger was some time back on this very boat.

Mark

Boat Specifications

1. Boat must be inboard powered.

2. Hull must be a three (3) point hydroplane configuration and resemble a limited or unlimited hydroplane design of past or present. Hulls not permitted: outrigger, modified outrigger, tunnels, or canard hulls.

3. Boat must have a name, or sponsor's name, or logo, or a racing number affixed to the hull. (a local or national or fictitious sponsor name is acceptable).

4. Hull shall have a minimum length of 27 inches, and a maximum length of 35 inches.

5. If the bow is recessed behind the tips of the sponsons, that recess shall be no larger than 25% of the overall length of the boat. (refer to Sport Hull Configurations)

6. Boat must have a driver in open cockpit or simulated enclosed cockpit.

7. A strut width no greater than 9/16 inch wide may be mounted either under the hull or on the transom with the farthest end of the drive dog, as measured from the transom not extending out more than 3 inches.

8. See Sport Hull pictorial for clarification of Sport Hull Configurations.

Engine Specifications

1. IMPBA class B engine allowed in Sportsman 20 Hydro.

2. Twin engine installations are not allowed in Sportsman 20 Hydro.

General Rules

Racing to be conducted following current IMPBA Contest and Racing Rules, racing

procedures and format.

here is the rules straight from a book..

I am in no way trying to stirr the pot.. just want to find out... my question is this.. it says no modified rigger.. who says it is a modified rigger.. also the rules state that it it must resemble a limitied or unlimited hydroplane.. does it not resmemble the lobster boat??

just would like to know.. as i would like to run this boat if possible..

also. is it legal to mount the strut on the back of the boat like all other boats run..

thanks,

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
does it not resmemble the lobster boat??

I have the SP40 2 version of the Lobster boat otherwise known as the BBY War Eagle. The major difference I see is the War Eagle does not have the front canard wings. I also searched long and hard before purchasing the War Eagle to assure I could run it in Sp40. I have finally after two years got it running correctly and I will tell you this it does run like a rigger. But it's not legal in IMPBA and has to run with the riggers. It's legal in NAMBA as a SP40.

hey phil.

i read 7 pages on there and nobody can say give a firm awnser.. it is all what the FEEL is legal..

guess i will just get one and wait for the confrontation lol..

chris

hey phil.

i read 7 pages on there and nobody can say give a firm awnser.. it is all what the FEEL is legal..

chris

Go ahead and get one it probally is more sporthydro than rigger looking anyways running on the water.

You could make the wingbodys larger to satisfiy the critics.

Oh and you could put the strut on the transom. the IMPBA rules allow that setup.

Here is a pic of the boat running. https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=567&pos=9

Here are some pictures of the Blazer sport20 https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=638&pos=6

PHIL

hey phil.

chris

Go ahead and get one it probally is more sporthydro than rigger looking anyways running on the water.

You could make the wingbodys larger to satisfiy the critics.

Oh and you could put the strut on the transom. the IMPBA rules allow that setup.

Here is a pic of the boat running. https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=567&pos=9

Here are some pictures of the Blazer sport20 https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=638&pos=6

PHIL
Hey phil.

I thanks for the strut info. i wanted to confirm that..

I would like to hear from john equi on this boat.. just for my own sake.. and see if it is in fact legal or not.. John if you read this can you confirm?

thanks

chris wood

hey phil.

chris
Oh goody, another "cuss and discuss" in the works! I'll be there sitting in a chair with my SINGLE shot of Crown Royal in hand, cheering ya on. LOL :D

Your buddy the Wallster

hey phil.

chris
Oh goody, another "cuss and discuss" in the works! I'll be there sitting in a chair with my SINGLE shot of Crown Royal in hand, cheering ya on. LOL :D

Your buddy the Wallster

just make sure stu don't see ya. or you could be in for round 2 lol..

na, it will be fun venturing into something besides a hydro for a change..

chris

and i may need a shot two if i can't get this figured out lol.

chris

Boat Specifications

2. Hull must be a three (3) point hydroplane configuration and resemble a limited or unlimited hydroplane design of past or present. Hulls not permitted: outrigger, modified outrigger, tunnels, or canard hulls.

3. Boat must have a name, or sponsor's name, or logo, or a racing number affixed to the hull. (a local or national or fictitious sponsor name is acceptable).

4. Hull shall have a minimum length of 27 inches, and a maximum length of 35 inches.

5. If the bow is recessed behind the tips of the sponsons, that recess shall be no larger than 25% of the overall length of the boat. (refer to Sport Hull Configurations)

7. A strut width no greater than 9/16 inch wide may be mounted either under the hull or on the transom with the farthest end of the drive dog, as measured from the transom not extending out more than 3 inches.

Engine Specifications

General Rules

procedures and format.

I am in no way trying to stirr the pot.. just want to find out... my question is this.. it says no modified rigger.. who says it is a modified rigger.. also the rules state that it it must resemble a limitied or unlimited hydroplane.. does it not resmemble the lobster boat??

also. is it legal to mount the strut on the back of the boat like all other boats run..

thanks,

chris
Chris,

Here is my post that I place on this subject some time back. I think that you will see the point.

Mar 23 2006, 03:10 PM

Ok I have been watching this for awhile. Definition of a rigger or outrigger is a boat that reguires that the support sponsons or canoes be attach by some sort of beam device to the main tub or canoe. I would be safe to say that Don Pickert was watching National Geographics when he came up with the concept of this design, you know the natives in the canoes with the sponsons attach to the bamboo poles. Outrigger designs have not changed much. I have seen round tubes, square bars, rectangle bars, and wing looking bars. Did I say wing looking bars??? The old Wingding was one of these kind of boats. Now you say what is a modified rigger? I feel that modified rigger is any standard outrigger that has had the tube or tubes coverd to try to meet the rule requirement of the 25% cutout rule for a pickel fork design. This is why IMPBA has this rule in place to prevent this from happening. If NAMBA had that same rule in there rules then this boat would be illegal also. This rule in IMBPA rule book is the one that makes this boat illegal to run in IMPBA events.

2. Hull must be a three (3)-point hydroplane configuration and resemble a limited or

unlimited hydroplane design of past or present, except outrigger, modified outrigger,

tunnel, or canard hulls are NOT permitted.

NAMBA's and IMPBA's rules are very close together except for this rule. Now Don not to step on your toes but the present rules are very clear to me as what a Sport Hydro should and should not be in IMPBA rules. There is not any intent or it should be this way. Now Rod said something about the lobster boat being a legal boat. Sorry Rod turn the page of the rule book for the different drawings of the sport boats and you will find more rules. To read a lot of our rules you have to read all of them to get the big picture. This is true with IMPBA and NAMBA. But on the second page of these rules it shows about vents in the hull being illegal. This is what kills the lobster boat.

Now this boat that we are looking at is a beautful, beautful good looking outrigger. And I would not mind owning one myself to just play with. But there is nothing that makes this a sport hydro in IMPBA.

Mark Bullard

Boat Specifications

Engine Specifications

General Rules

procedures and format.

thanks,

chris
Chris,

Here is my post that I place on this subject some time back. I think that you will see the point.

Ok I have been watching this for awhile. Definition of a rigger or outrigger is a boat that reguires that the support sponsons or canoes be attach by some sort of beam device to the main tub or canoe. I would be safe to say that Don Pickert was watching National Geographics when he came up with the concept of this design, you know the natives in the canoes with the sponsons attach to the bamboo poles. Outrigger designs have not changed much. I have seen round tubes, square bars, rectangle bars, and wing looking bars. Did I say wing looking bars??? The old Wingding was one of these kind of boats. Now you say what is a modified rigger? I feel that modified rigger is any standard outrigger that has had the tube or tubes coverd to try to meet the rule requirement of the 25% cutout rule for a pickel fork design. This is why IMPBA has this rule in place to prevent this from happening. If NAMBA had that same rule in there rules then this boat would be illegal also. This rule in IMBPA rule book is the one that makes this boat illegal to run in IMPBA events.

2. Hull must be a three (3)-point hydroplane configuration and resemble a limited or

unlimited hydroplane design of past or present, except outrigger, modified outrigger,

NAMBA's and IMPBA's rules are very close together except for this rule. Now Don not to step on your toes but the present rules are very clear to me as what a Sport Hydro should and should not be in IMPBA rules. There is not any intent or it should be this way. Now Rod said something about the lobster boat being a legal boat. Sorry Rod turn the page of the rule book for the different drawings of the sport boats and you will find more rules. To read a lot of our rules you have to read all of them to get the big picture. This is true with IMPBA and NAMBA. But on the second page of these rules it shows about vents in the hull being illegal. This is what kills the lobster boat.

Now this boat that we are looking at is a beautful, beautful good looking outrigger. And I would not mind owning one myself to just play with. But there is nothing that makes this a sport hydro in IMPBA.

Mark Bullard

mark i wish i could but on this one i would disagree.. I don't feel it is illegal.. I asked bill zuber.. he talked to john equi.. he said at this time there is not enought info to deam it one way or the other.. so i asked bill if until it is deamed that then it would be legal.. i am waiting for a response.

chris

It was on rcboat.com that I had first asked about the legality of the BBY War Eagle. Now Mark from what you are saying it's not a legal hull in NAMBA or IMPBA. I was told that it was considered a legal hull to run in NAMBA but not in IMPBA. Now this was a actuall hull that was run by the Winston guy's was'nt it???. Just asking because

I have yet to have a major objection to me running it in SP40. I was also going to purchase the SP20 version from BBY. Is this hull also considered a modified rigger or what???. If the Scale Lobster boat is legal in scale and does not have to run in SP 60 why would the smaller counterparts not be legal??

Sorry for all the questions but next year I was planning on running the BBY in SP40 and B hydro to allow for a roundnose scale or sport 20 without having to run more than 6 boats. I would hate to sell my B hydro and find out the SP 40 is not a legal hull. Would have to sell both to by a legal hull then.

Unless something has recently changed it's always been my understanding that the BBY War Eagle (40 sized lobster boat) IS legal in NAMBA sport 40. It was previously ruled NOT legal in IMPBA sport 40 as it is considered a modified outrigger. :blink:

It was on rcboat.com that I had first asked about the legality of the BBY War Eagle. Now Mark from what you are saying it's not a legal hull in NAMBA or IMPBA. I was told that it was considered a legal hull to run in NAMBA but not in IMPBA. Now this was a actuall hull that was run by the Winston guy's was'nt it???. Just asking because

I have yet to have a major objection to me running it in SP40. I was also going to purchase the SP20 version from BBY. Is this hull also considered a modified rigger or what???. If the Scale Lobster boat is legal in scale and does not have to run in SP 60 why would the smaller counterparts not be legal??

Sorry for all the questions but next year I was planning on running the BBY in SP40 and B hydro to allow for a roundnose scale or sport 20 without having to run more than 6 boats. I would hate to sell my B hydro and find out the SP 40 is not a legal hull. Would have to sell both to by a legal hull then.
You did not read my post very close. NAMBA's rules are very close to IMPBA but in NAMBA it alows this boat to fall thru rules and to be run.

Mark

Boat Specifications

Engine Specifications

General Rules

procedures and format.

thanks,

chris
Chris,

Mark Bullard

mark i wish i could but on this one i would disagree.. I don't feel it is illegal.. I asked bill zuber.. he talked to john equi.. he said at this time there is not enought info to deam it one way or the other.. so i asked bill if until it is deamed that then it would be legal.. i am waiting for a response.

chris
Chris,

I would not buy one to think that it is legal based on what Bill says or responses.

Mark

Unless something has recently changed it's always been my understanding that the BBY War Eagle (40 sized lobster boat) IS legal in NAMBA sport 40. It was previously ruled NOT legal in IMPBA sport 40 as it is considered a modified outrigger. :blink:
What about a modified Miss Vegas Hull (with a 21 engine)? What IMPBA and NAMBA class would it run in? Will in run in sport 20 or does it have to run against the outriggers? :unsure:

The stock Miss Vegas is legal in IMPBA sport 20 class it depends on the mods you do if it remains legal. As for NAMBA you will have to ask someone in NAMBA.

What about a modified Miss Vegas Hull (with a 21 engine)? What IMPBA and NAMBA class would it run in? Will in run in sport 20 or does it have to run against the outriggers? :unsure:

The stock Miss Vegas is legal in IMPBA sport 20 class it depends on the mods you do if it remains legal. As for NAMBA you will have to ask someone in NAMBA.

Look at the NAMBA rule book the Vegas is not legal in sport 20 hydro....It would take moving strut to bottom of the boat

chris
CHRIS, You should get it approved before you buy one. Sure you can race it, someone would probally protest it. Then you have to get official hull classification from the IMPBA. You have to send a hull or drawings to them to inspect, Im not sure. Go look it up in the rule book, in hull approval and protests of equipment.

You may be able to redo it to suit the IMPBA rules, but it looks like it is deemed a mod rigger for now.

PHIL

Latest posts

Back