SPORT 20 Outboard motor question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
I have been watching this thread for a while and came up with the same conclusion. The rules in this class, as originally written, would allow any internal changes using any manufacturer parts legal, as long as the changes were not noticeable on the outside. When the rules were recently changed during Bob’s tenure as outboard director, ( he may still be director), the only internal parts that can now be used are parts manufactured for that engine now or at some point in the past, by OS. Its very clear now and is the reason I only run stock OS engines (less shim), and focus on setup. If someone protests at a race, or is found with these rogue parts in their engines at SAW or OVALS during what should be mandatory engine tear down procedures, under the new rules they must be deemed as illegal, and disqualified. I was the NAMBA outboard director for several years and appreciated the fact that only OS original outboard parts were allowed, with no mods. The rules for both organizations are now very close to the same “stock” rules with the exception that in IMPBA, internal cutting, grinding, and polishing, is still allowed as long as only OS current or past outboard parts are used. In NAMBA, the parts must remain untouched. Good conversations here from everyone. Carl, go for it buddy. You would make a great IMPBA outboard director!!!! Merry Christmas everyone.

I really like all that came from this thread Carl. Some very informative chat and lots of knowledge about past and present came up.

In Summary, we got the answer we needed.

Only OS Outboard parts can be used in the Sport 20 (IMPBA) class. Any internal mods allowed as long as it looks stock.

I would hope in the spirit of oval racing (not at SAW or Time Trials) people still follow (ie not ***** and moan an protest they lost) the original intent of the rules the FROGS wrote which was about minimal tech and strip downs.

More people need to use the inspiration of trying to achieve the level performance of others rather than bring them down...way too much "tall poppy" stuff these days.

I am against cheating, but heavily in favour or advancement and great racing. I remember Grimracer saying years ago that he would strap a brick to his boat and race, as long as everyone else did! A level playing field is essential!

I feel its important to allow Bob.. if he is still "effective" as our OBD.. finish that time with the IMPBA. Sounds like everybody agrees with the rule change he implemented so he must be doing ok with it.. none the less is "NICE" to have an active member still racing helping in that position.

I was just asking the question if you have ever thought of it..

Its nice to see interest in that position.. I was kicked out for helping impatient the sound rules.. LOL.. they (the people crabbing me) said it was because of a "Conflict of interest"..

O well... when the time comes.. carl.. you will find it "enlightening" being OBD.. and please.. what ever you do make sure to write an article for the Roostertail each quarter.. just my 10 cent advice!

Grim

I don't think anyone has heard anything out of Bob (our Outboard Director) in years and he can not be contacted using the phone numbers or any email contact info we have for him so I would think that in itself would point to how hard that job would be and how much service to the outboard classes we are actually getting.

The outboard situation is more complicated than one might think and it is most likely why we only have one engine (the 3.5cc outboard) that got accepted as it did. I have mulled over the possibilities for humbly asking the board to add the 7.5cc 11cc and 0.1" to the existing sport class but the argument the board is going to come back with is going to be; Who is manufacturing these engines that you are requesting classes for? The answer to that can only be that K&B is now building a 1.0" outboard...and that will probably be close to the end of that discussion.

So, what is left? Well, the only thing to offer as an answer to adding D,E and F to the sport class would be converting it to the Super Sport Class. The 3.5cc is the only remaining outboard that is still sold that qualifies for the Sport class and if you convert the Sport 21 class into Super Sport in order to pull the other classes on board and regulate the class by exhaust outlets then you might get it passed but the rules would have to be adjusted to make this happen. Can it be done? Well, it has a better chance than the first option witch is nothing. More importantly does the majority of the racers want this?

Our outboard rules imprison us to only being able to use a fully manufactured outboard and when these rules were written they were great because engines were flying off the shelves and available everywhere but now that we are down to the 3.5cc O/S that qualifies for the sport class and the 0.1" outboard manufactured by K&B that does not, we have to ask our selves why? Why are we holding ourselves captive to this rule? Modelers are inventive people. Is it time to come up with something that works and does not keep us in the box? Well, the answer is already out there and working great. The answer to this is called Super Sport.

The Super Sport Class is growing larger every year and is currently running strong as a special class in clubs in the South East and maybe one day it will become large enough to carry a voice with the board.

OBD? I don't need that badge. I will however do what I can to help advance outboards and if the majority wants something (even if it is something entirely different from this subject) I will be ready to help get it done.

-Carl

Last edited:
are the one cubic inch outboards being made by mecoa or has k/b come back into production ?.....thanks

Hey Bob,

The way to answer that is a bit complicated. The companies consolidated. The answer is actually; The MECOA group of companies-K&B Mfg-Fox Mfg-Fox Mfg-RJL Industries & WEBRA.

The original bossed elliptical K&B logo in still on the new style lower units and MECOA and K&B is stamped just below that. MECOA (Model Engine Company Of America).

Having said all that, I am not sure if they are now going to go by MECOA or K&B. Looks like both at least on their marine stuff..

-Carl

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has heard anything out of Bob (our Outboard Director) in years and he can not be contacted using the phone numbers or any email contact info we have for him so I would think that in itself would point to how hard that job would be and how much service to the outboard classes we are actually getting.

Agree 100%.

Bob did attend the last IMPBA phone meeting im pretty sure. Although not very active Bob always has good intentions

Back