SPORT 20 Outboard motor question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will chime in on what I believe is a valid point. And that is...things have changed. No doubt the Sport OB class was created with the best of intentions and I agree, a good concept. At that time I think there were three?...production .21 OB engines available? K&B's were cheap and so were the replacement parts. Later, the new OS engine came along and was reasonably priced although more than K&B. Meccoa had a winner with the SX .21 OB. I had two that were really good runners.

Here what has changed. Meccoa stop making those beloved cheap engines. Thunder Tigers would run IF you knew what to do to them. Given the performance and availability of the OS it became the engine of choice, nearly without exception. Once the popularity of this engine surged, so did the price. $550.00 at Tower. $140.00 for a piston and sleeve. And if I did my web search right, the RG piston/sleeve/rod assembly is $200.00?? So now what you have is essentially a one engine class and the price of that engine is anything but "entry level" supportive. Yes, .21 tunnel was always considered the low cost and lower speed way to enter nitro boats. Do you realize that a new racer, buying everything brand new would spend $1500.00 plus to come to a race with just one .21 tunnel and minimal support equipment? A small box of spare parts would add another $200 to $300.

I know Mod-VP a special class that is run at the tunnel champs. But I will say this to state my point further. I am seriously considering having a discussion for taking the Sport engine rule off of the class. We started that class for the same reasons. To be FUN, first and foremost! Inexpensive, simple and no exotic piped engines were the other reasons. But now, unless you are a K&B 'wizard' an unpiped K&B will not run with an OS. (Mike Cullhane had an OS on one of my boats and passed me like I was in reverse at the Brandon race years ago. And my boat was hooked up good that day.) So, with the current engine situation I am thinking it would be way more fun as an Open .21 engine class. And to the point of this thread, there would be no suspicious engines. Also, you could build an engine that weighs less than the OS since no restriction on powerhead and lower units brands.

Where is the fun in a one engine Sport class if there is always this argument over the internal parts of that engine? Looks like to me the easiest way to solve this is to say if it looks factory on the outside....shut up and race it.

the OS motor came out in 97 and the thunder tiger very soon after that..

The K+B was the only outboard at the time.

Grim

the price had little to do with the overwhelming popularity and rather the lack of popularity.

When I say.. we are LUCKY to still have this motor.. and thats all I can tell you.. you need to believe me....it was a close call more than once!

Grim

Mark,
I hear what you're saying but sport 3.5 O/B protest at races are almost never heard of these days. Most of what is being said about rule details is discussed on here and sometimes reading us rant and swear at each other can seem like the problems with rules are bigger than they really are.

Everybody that runs the Mod VP class has a blast and there are a couple of boats being built for that class right now to run this spring in SOWEGA. If I were you I would try to contact each person who participated in the class last year to see if the majority of them agree with that change and if they do, then I would be glad to update your rules for y'all as I still have the live files on my computer.

Just let me know what everybody wants done.

One last thing, I agree with you Mark also that Rod and Tommy and anyone else who had a part in getting the original 3.5cc Sport O/B tunnel rules written and approved had good intentions when they wrote the rules and we who enjoy this class have had a lot of fun competing in this class because of what they did. There were many times when this class was the largest turn out at events by far and many times made enough money off of that one class for clubs to put on some great races and still do.

-Carl

Last edited:
I dont know why.. but up where we race sport tunnel (IMPBA Dist 4, 6) i have never heard of a protest in the class or been any part of one.. we have ZERO complaining about this that I know or have heard of.

From the club races to the masters not one peep..

Having said this.. back in 2004 at the Nats in TN.. I won sport tunnel with a motor that was given to me.. LOL.. it was a K+B SS.. I was accused of cheating and back then we still had a claim rule.. I pulled the motor and handed it to the complainer but he failed to get off his wallet..LOL.. it was A FREE MOTOR TO ME..LOL.. I was poised to make a bundle off that thing.. RATS!

I love to see a super fast Sport setup. I know how hard it is to make the boat run that way.

Grim

the price had little to do with the overwhelming popularity and rather the lack of popularity.

When I say.. we are LUCKY to still have this motor.. and thats all I can tell you.. you need to believe me....it was a close call more than once!

Grim
Well this thread is about to morph in a different direction.....
For about 10 years ,O.S. has threatened to discontinue the XM outboard....I also know if it hadn't been for the begging by Hobbico/Aquacraft the motor would have been gone years ago...The sales numbers just are not there.... I suspect O.S. did continue building them just because it didn't want to piss off their largest distributor of O.S. engines in North America....O. S. XM prices have risen from $129.00 to $550.00 over the years....At $550.00 the O.S. outboard numbers will continue to drop....the minute that it costs more to build than they can sell them for the grave will be dug for the XM outboard.....It will be a memory....
Thunder Tiger is discontinued and K&B is essentially dead.....A new 3.5 outboard from Mecoa is $350.00....that is if they could build and ship one....
The demand for nitro outboards is in rapid decline....If this statement wasn't true somebody else would have jumped into this market.....even the Chinese are steering clear of nitro outboards....that should tell us something....Duh!!!!
Declining numbers of nitro motors combined with the pressure from electric and gas it doesn't take a rocket scientist where the future of nitro outboards is going....
The trickle down effect on RC outboard racing is going to be catastrophic....It is coming....It is not a matter of "if" it is only a question of "when"......Designers ,builders and sellers of outboard tunnels had better getting to working on FE and gas if you want to stay in the tunnel business....
For you nitro outboard hold outs who want to continue racing RC nitro tunnels you better not throw away your K&B , Thunder Tiger or O.S. outboards.....
Maybe MECOA can acquire the O.S. outboard and you can pay $300.00 for a piston and liner..lol

I was thinking a super sport 20 class would be a great class same on the mod vp , same way it is for ss 45

I am coming to the world tunnel champs in 2020 Carl, so hopefully we both have our needles ready ;)

Like I said, Sport .21 is a good concept, ended a lot of controversy back in the day. I also agree with Rod about the future of it. Some have said Super Sport could be the next logical step. Let them quit making outboards, you could still put one together with more options. I have not seen any production Gas outboard units at the races. And it just became a class!

There are still sites that regularly pull 200+ outboard only entries but there are some districts that have dried up. One that is on the rise as of this year is the VooDoo guys club. They are on fire getting nitro outboards into their area and that site has the potential to draw large numbers of nitro outboard racers into there pond. It is nice and those guys know how to cook.

I am 100% for the advancement of the LSG Outboard Tunnels as you know from my involvement in recently being a part of getting them made into an official class and now their numbers are on the rise. Wendall has made a lot of progress with his Gas Outboard Tunnel design and Mitch has recently made progress with his so that class is coming along. Wendall is making a gas lower unit and so is Lawless and a couple of others. Huntsville is a GREAT site for LSG O/B Tunnel Racing! We should work on getting these guy up there. They have made improvements to that site and it is really nice now!

I am working on FE control box kit designs to help people get into the FE classes. FE O/B Tunnel classes are on the rise.

I see the gas classes moving fairly good but I predict that the low priced kits and engines (for inboards) will not last. Once gas gets a firm grip on enough business you will start to see the price of their stuff start to rise too. The thing that is holding this back at the moment is that they still have options for engines right now.

The only way to get the price of the O/S outboard back down is to get something out there that can compete with it on the track and in the wallet. I have talked to K&B until I just gave up because I just could never get a commitment out of them or even a couple of engines to test and I was going to pay for them I was not wanting free engines. I pointed out what would have to happen to stay on the same lap with a good O/S but nothing came of it. Maybe they will step up soon.

Ron and I discussed the possibility of putting a Low end Nova Rossi powerhead on a lower unit but even the low end power head is going to put the project into a nonprofit category once you build everything needed to make it happen.

I have wondered where the Thunder Tiger tooling went? Who got that stuff? Is it sitting in a back room somewhere? The problem with that engine was mainly the tiny hole it had in the crank and no room to enlarge it enough to get it to run as it should. I have always thought that they did that on purpose to keep you from being able to make it turn up because it would likely trash the gears in no time if you did. I don't know how much those gears could withstand. The lower unit looked good though. I always like the muffler design on that lower unit.

For now there are some really hot nitro outboard tunnel sites. I hope it holds because I love outboards.

-Carl

Last edited:
Super Tiger?

Hum.. I suspect you meant Thunder Tiger.. because as I know it there was only ever one Super Tiger OB... and no question you never saw it.

Good old days...LOL

Grim

Thanks Grim, I fixed it.
I have wondered where the Thunder Tiger tooling went? Who got that stuff? Is it sitting in a back room somewhere? The problem with that engine was mainly the tiny hole it had in the crank and no room to enlarge it enough to get it to run as it should. I have always thought that they did that on purpose to keep you from being able to make it turn up because it would likely trash the gears in no time if you did. I don't know how much those gears could withstand. The lower unit looked good though. I always like the muffler design on that lower unit.
Carl,
I have built several Thunder Tiger outboards ....The ones I worked on all had a 13MM crank.....Maybe the early motors were 12MM but I never saw them.....
I have [3] new TT's on my shelf and the TT's I have in my possession have the same size cranks as K&B's and O.S. outboards.....I always thought I could make a TT run with an O.S.......
In fact the Thunder Tiger bore and stroke is identical to the O.S. outboard......In fact David Hall has a TT I built just to test but when I received an email from TT saying that production had ceased...that motor has never made it to the pond...
The gears needed a little personal attention to detail but I never had any trouble or reliability problems with the gears....and ....I really liked the [2] gear ratios they offered....
The Thunder tiger outboard ran every bit as good as the K&B......Mike Z. saw a TT I built for a racer and he can attest it ran very well.....The problem is it ended up in the bottom of the Eleva pond....lolol
But all this is , is a good story.....the TT outboards have been discontinued...Obviously the sales numbers were just not there for TT to continue to offer them....
If I was physically able to race again I would run a TT in IMPBA Sport 20....The TT would be legal under the IMPBA rules...In fact it would be legal in NAMBA also...
I am confident if I was to go out and finish [4] rounds I would be on the podium 80% of the time....lolol

Carl,
I have built several Thunder Tiger outboards ....The ones I worked on all had a 13MM crank.....Maybe the early motors were 12MM but I never saw them.....
I have [3] new TT's on my shelf and the TT's I have in my possession have the same size cranks as K&B's and O.S. outboards.....I always thought I could make a TT run with an O.S.......
In fact the Thunder Tiger bore and stroke is identical to the O.S. outboard......In fact David Hall has a TT I built just to test but when I received an email from TT saying that production had ceased...that motor has never made it to the pond...
The gears needed a little personal attention to detail but I never had any trouble or reliability problems with the gears....and ....I really liked the [2] gear ratios they offered....
The Thunder tiger outboard ran every bit as good as the K&B......Mike Z. saw a TT I built for a racer and he can attest it ran very well.....The problem is it ended up in the bottom of the Eleva pond....lolol
But all this is , is a good story.....the TT outboards have been discontinued...Obviously the sales numbers were just not there for TT to continue to offer them....
If I was physically able to race again I would run a TT in IMPBA Sport 20....The TT would be legal under the IMPBA rules...In fact it would be legal in NAMBA also...
I am confident if I was to go out and finish [4] rounds I would be on the podium 90% of the time....lolol
The reason I have all the TT's is when the O.S. prices went to $500.00 I was looking for an option...TT's were $179.00.....

I just went and pulled down the [3] TT's I have on the shelf [under 1/4" of dust..lol] and checked the cranks....shazaam [1] 12MM and [2] 13MM....TT evidently changed in mid-stream
and I never ran into it before now.....even now though I would not be afraid to run a 12mm crank in the Sport 20 class....With a .250" stinger on the muffler I don't think the 13MM would pose any advantage...
Back in the day Jerry Wyss did a lot of work with TT's and had success ....they ran very well.....

The reason that we are dependent on completely manufactured O/B engines is actually of our own doing. If the last available supplier of a sport 3.5cc outboard (right now O/S) were to discontinue its offering for that class, the Sport 3.5cc O/B would have no choice but to adopt the Super Stock guidelines that has kept the 7.5cc outboard racing alive. That would be our next option for that class and I really think that we should all consider this as we move forward. Forward meaning when the 7.5,11 & 1 inch are added to the Sport Rules.

Having rules for engines that don't exist anymore would be a bit silly and we are one qualifying sport engine away from that now.

This all sounds grim but the 3.5cc O/B tunnel class is still alive and strong and usually the largest class to show up at outboard events even today.

-Carl

Last edited:
The largest rebuttal to this.. and it aint a good one.. is........... you can, he can, she can.. just simply buy a OS motor on line or at the store.

With out that one simple step.. we move further into the dark ages of nitro powered outboard racing.

Grim

Bob Kensill
(260) 409.0618

[email protected]

Grim, I have the same number you posted in my phone and when I tried to contact him it was not a working number. I will try his email to see if he is responding to anyone through that address. I found another one that he used and I included that one also.

Dark ages of Nitro... I am seeing way to many people showing up at Outboard Nitro events to say that. You should see the racks of Outboards that people pull out of their trailers at some of these races.... It's NUTS! Some guys show up with 12 to 14 tunnels ready to run. Also I am selling everything I build and have for years now so somebody is racing somewhere! LOL I think that it many have died in some areas but others are on fire!

Come to a site like SOWEGA and see what i am talking about and if you are planning to race don't leave your good motor at home!

-Carl

Last edited:
I did not say it was a good one.lol. its just good to think though all the possibility's.

I am one that feels the racers are racers and have made up there minds as to what hobby they enjoy. Tunnels, hydros.. whatever.. Its the future of where the racers are coming from that I question.

Grim

I did not say it was a good one.lol. its just good to think though all the possibility's.

I am one that feels the racers are racers and have made up there minds as to what hobby they enjoy. Tunnels, hydros.. whatever.. Its the future of where the racers are coming from that I question.

Grim

You are 100% right Mike IMO. People who want to race, will do so. There will be areas where they cut costs, like travelling too far from home, keeping the same hull for as long as possible, ect

I agree with that too. I am going to tinker with my outboard tunnel stuff even if there is nobody at the pond when I go down there because actually when I first started I ran by myself for years because I didn't know anyone else that ran boats of any kind anywhere around here. The only info I could find about what other people were doing other than me was through Boat Modeler Magazine that came out at some point later on.

Another thing that effects things other than cost is class choices. Racers that start getting interested in R/C boats these days have a lot more classes to choose from like Gas and FE. Those classes did not exist during the Nitro hay days so people who were getting into the hobby were at the same events because there was nothing else. That combined with rising cost is effecting the choices of the beginner and even the returning modeler these days.

I see people who back in the day ran four or five boats now running only two or three.

Man Kris...we tore up your thread topic but a lot came out and got talked about.

Back