Speed Week II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn Quarles said:
Friends, no records have been set YET...but the last two days have been spectacular! The weather conditions are PERFECT! Most of the crowd hasn't shown up yet so the few of us here are getting lots of running time. Ross and I are playing with the .12 boat. We have made several passes right at the record and have more tinkering to do. Mike Whitley is here and has been playing with his .12, .21 and new 45 monos. Ron Drake and Carl Van Houton are here and have been working with their 21 tunnel oval boat. It looks really good to me, but they don't seen happy with it yet...I expect when they get it like they want it, it will be WAY fast. I have heard more folks will be showing up tomorrow.
We are having a GREAT time with lots of good food being cooked by Jason, Jay and Ron.

I'll try to post more results tomorrow...this time with some new records I hope!

Glenn

78792[/snapback]

Man I wish I could be there ........ :(

Glenn Quarles said:
Brian, Speed Week is a 7 day long record trial held in Valdosta Ga. In the past it has been SAW only, but this year we are also running 1/3 mile ovals. There are no flyers, but the general information is in the Record Trial section of the Roostertail schedule. If you are interested in record trials we would like to see you there!
Glenn

76447[/snapback]

Man, this seems like it's gonna be a wild week! Wish I could go watch.

Results for Wed...still no records, but another incredible day! This has been the best 3 day of record trial conditions I have ever seen. In fact the tunnel hull and mono guys are wanting a little more breeze to chop up the water.

Ross and I are still playing with the 12 hydro. I think we have plenty of speed, but are fighting some handling problems. Ron Drake and crew are getting closer with their 21 outboard oval boat, but need a little more chop to help things along. David Showers and family got here today and have been working on a new SAW .84 mono. David Jr drove some real nice laps with his F (I think) mono...a few more runs to get the needle leaned down and they are going to be close to the record.

I think a few more folks will be showing up tomorrow and our first 100+ boats will be showing up Friday. There has been awesome conditions so far, I hope they hold!

I'll try to post more tomorrow,

Glenn

Thursday results...still no records, but for the forth day it has been AWESOME! The day started off with Holly Showers making everybody breakfast...fried eggs, sausage, bacon and grits. She is for-sure the Queen of the pond! It is really fun watching her tell the Shower boys what they need to do.

The bad news for the day is that the timing console kinda went on the blink. The right end part of the timing electronics quit working which prevented any SAW running, but the oval stuff was working good. We are having the northern set overnighted and it will be here in the morning so the SAW will be back in action!

Both David Showers Jr and Ron Drake are VERY close to records.

David has his F mono within .25 seconds of the record. The neatest thing happened just at dark as he was making a run...as he went by the front straight we could see the plugs glowing red hot in the engine and then as he went around bouy 2 one of the plugs shot out and it looked like a bottle rocket going off! It was COOL!

Ron spent most of the day waiting for the water to rough up a bit (it has been like a mirror for 4 days in a row...incredible!). By late in the day Carl (Van Houton) had made up a prop to try to get the boat working on the smooth water and it looks like they are on to something. By the time it got too dark to run they were within .5 sec from the B tunnel oval record. Just a little breeze will really help them out.

For the third day in a row Ron make an oustanding lunch for all of us...today it was pot roast, yesterday was low country boil and the day before that was BBQ ribs.

This is by far the most enjoyable record trial I have ever been to...great friends, great food, great weather (too smooth?), and all the running time we could want. A few records would be nice, but even if it doesn't happen Speed Week II will go down as a big success.

BUT WE STILL HAVE 3 DAYS LEFT.......

More tomorrow,

Glenn

Glenn Quarles said:
Both David Showers Jr and Ron Drake are VERY close to records.
David has his F mono within .25 seconds of the record.... they were within .5 sec from the B tunnel oval record.........

Glenn

79085[/snapback]

I wish Ron & David the best & hope they find some more speed. I can tell you from personal experience that .25 to .5 seconds is an ETERNITY in a record trials. I spent an entire day chasing a couple hundreths & ultimately came up short by two thousandths......... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped at the Valdosta TT (Tuesday) on my way to Roadrunner boats to pick my new boat. Check the gallery to see Ron Drake's boat.

Looks like a Bolly pipe. According to Bolly's Web Page, they sold the pipes production line. I think somebody in this board owns them now.

Piston1 said:
Looks like a Bolly pipe.  According to Bolly's Web Page, they sold the pipes production line.  I think somebody in this board owns them now.
79128[/snapback]

i don't think it is a Bolly. They aren't that clean.

I think it is. I got one. Maybe Tunnelbill can clarify.

Friday and Saturday update...no records Friday, B sport tunnel SAW and 2 lap today. Sorry I couldn't post yesterday, but I was busy working on Ross' 12 boat last night.

Both of these days were...incredible! It has been 6 solid days of PERFECT conditions...sweatshirts in the mornings, tee shirts in the afternoon and calm to light breezes all day. There was much food, fun and good times had by all.

Eric Canto, Jeff Lutz, Mike Talley, Mike Rushing, Robert Rollason, Mitch Attwell and John Brown joined us over the last couple of days and we have had some FAST times.

I finally got Ross' 12 boat where it would run straight, but now I'm having a problem of it quiting at the end of each hard pass...the best time we got today was 80.5. Oh well we still have one more day.

Eric brought out a brand new twin 84 and within three runs had made a pass of 104.505. By the end of the day he had run 107.296 with a radar time over 110 as it passed by the driver's stand. It was awesome!

Jeff ran his K90 hydro 103.59 with a brand new engine. His boat was also accelerating very hard all the way through the traps and was probably running near 110 at the end. Also awesome!

One of the most impressive boat here is David Showers F mono...it has been close to the record all week and is even faster now. When they get it to hang for two good laps it will certainly be a very fast record.

Well, it is late and even though I have more to talk about I need to get going.

I'll try to give one last update tomorrow.

Glenn

Joe_Knesek said:
Piston1 said:
Looks like a Bolly pipe.  According to Bolly's Web Page, they sold the pipes production line.  I think somebody in this board owns them now.
79128[/snapback]

i don't think it is a Bolly. They aren't that clean.

79130[/snapback]

Salisbury Power Pipes have all the Bolly moulds and many more new marine ones in stock and on the way.

Regards

Dave

Dave, is the pipe that Mr. Drake is running one of your pipes? The photos are posted in the galary.

Glenn Quarles said:
...no records Friday, B sport tunnel SAW and 2 lap today.
79312[/snapback]

Glenn, what do you mean by this? were the records broken and who did them? what were the times?

~James

P.S. what was Atwell running?

Joe_Knesek said:
Dave, is the pipe that Mr. Drake is running one of your pipes? The photos are posted in the galary.
79315[/snapback]

sorry jo

I am having trouble seeing it in the gallery. can you send me a link so i can have a look.

regards

Dave

Hi,

It took some time for me to find the pipe that everyone is talking about. The pipe is a Carbon Fiber pipe that I imported from Australia several year ago. It is a good pipe but we ( Salisbury Power Pipes) have been working on a better pipe. It is Faster than that pipe. :D Happy New Year Bill......

The photo is under Piston 1 ...https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10088

Tim.

You are Correct, do you want Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3? You are the lucky winner!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p

Did it set a record? Please let me know if it did so that I can tell John. I'm sure he'd like to hear about it.

Tim.

Latest posts

Back