Spark Ignition Nitro Engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not they let every other class people dream up run?
default_smile.png
They have the Super this the Jersey that, Thunder what not, Gas this, Nitro that. RTR

What's another class? We can run four day races then!

OK then why even bother talking about it.

Just key board foder at this point.

Allen go to Gizmo motors.
default_blink.png
Wow Tiger King is Cheap price than
default_wacko.png
CMB 27 is too expensive . Tiger King seem very powerful
default_huh.png
I wonder that did anyone run new engine in north american ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The plugs would work, the programmable spark is perfect. The carbs need fuel proof rubber parts. It takes a significant amount of nitro to maintain a perfect mixture. The higher the nitro the more fuel you have to pass through the engine.

I have no clue on how much fuel one of the current gas carbs can pass on a piston ported engine. I would say get the rubber issue with the carb fixed, (easy). Then start running. If the ignition is programmable that can be used as a control to until the fuel is mapped out right.

Also if the thing goes lean it will eat parts too. David was talking about starting out with 10 percent nitro. That is a good idea then start raising the fuel as needed:) Again,. for all I know there probably are a bunch of people out there ahead of me on this. A lot of smart people running gassers.

Come to think of it, reading between the lines here..... I bet Andy Brown has most of this stuff sorted out. :0 And David is right there or at least has been burning up his mind thinking of how to do it. . Something is cooking .....
default_smile.png

Norm , start by entering a race and actually racing !!!!
default_biggrin.png
:D
default_biggrin.png
:D

Allen thy have bin running and talking about this eng for a few months now.

Jims is all a blaze with it at the moment.

David your going to have to make it work before any rules can be written to govern it.Cart before the horse syndrome,why make rules if its not going to be reliable or safe.

I doubt seriously that you will be able to keep the jug on the crankcase. A cast crankcase with a sleeve might stand half a chance,but these engines are made using subpar materials. Increasing cylinder pressure without substantial cylinder thickness will end up like a pie in the face,only will hurt much more.Im all about innovation but when playing with fire always be careful and dont look directly into it. We are talking about more than a few drops of fuel here and a flooded engine could cause some personal injury especially if in a mono or closed in boat.

I personally run my own mix of fuel in my 2-strokes. After much experimenting I found that 38cc's of methanol to 1L gave me the most consistent run. To much methanol in fuel will precipitate out and cause lean spots in the fuel which can lead to cylinder failure. You need only run a bit richer on the high needle. In the Goped racing scene ADA racing was running alcohol in their scooters but it was driving down head temps to much and wouldn't run right half the time. They solved this problem by adding small amount of pure nitro into their fuel. They started out slowly till they got their head temps into the desired range. Not only was this a huge jump in power over everyone else but it also made the engine easier to tune as it maintained a consistent head temp. This is a little off your topic but figured I would share the info. Also all you need to change on your motor is the carb to an alky carb

I doubt seriously that you will be able to keep the jug on the crankcase. A cast crankcase with a sleeve might stand half a chance,but these engines are made using subpar materials. Increasing cylinder pressure without substantial cylinder thickness will end up like a pie in the face,only will hurt much more.Im all about innovation but when playing with fire always be careful and dont look directly into it. We are talking about more than a few drops of fuel here and a flooded engine could cause some personal injury especially if in a mono or closed in boat.
CMB 27cc is built same as CMB 101. Quickdraw is billet bottom with very heavy dudy cylinder. Tiger King is very heavy duty crankcase and cylinder. JG engine billet bottom and cylinder...the list of strong engines goes on. In all of these engines the piston crown will cave in before the jug blows off.

A long time ago we spent an evening running a Quickdraw with both glow and spark ignition on various standard model boat fuel. The glow ignition didn't work because we blew the centers out of the various plugs we tried. Spark ignition was better and the engine ran fine on 15% nitro fuel. On 40% nitro the plug electrodes melted and went out the exhaust with the pictured damage. We probably could have played around more to get both glow and spark ignitions to work, but we were trying to develop engines for gasoline records.

Our experiments with the CMB 35 could be considered running a nitro engine on gasoline. The AAC piston and liner never wiorked. We wrecked a lot of them. They held ful power for under a minute reguardless of oil and break in. I would expect the same from any similar large bore liner. See the picture below. Temperatures are the issue with gasoline. I will be very surprised if any gasoline engine can develop serious power with ABC or AAC sealing. Rings are the proven system.

Lohring Miller

P1010002.JPG P1010764.JPG

Back