Some classic outboard history here .

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool Tom,

McColouch was way ahead of things in the late 50's with a 3 carb 3 cyl. motor. He found 3 cylinder 2 strokes have a natural exhaust scavenging in the 5 to 8000 rpm range. Why a V-6 works so well. My Dad bought a 40hp 2 cyl Scott Atwater in 1960.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up at the family marina, I starting racing in 1968. First tunnel I drove was a Carlson with a Merc 1250BP

the picture of the light green powercat with the twin outboards brought back memories of the 14 ft powercat I had back in the sixties , mine was powered by a red and white mercury mark 78 outboard , direct drive , no neutral , would start in forward or start in reverse , better known as a dock bumper , the boat was quite fast...bob

the picture of the light green powercat with the twin outboards brought back memories of the 14 ft powercat I had back in the sixties , mine was powered by a red and white mercury mark 78 outboard , direct drive , no neutral , would start in forward or start in reverse , better known as a dock bumper , the boat was quite fast...bob
Dockbuster !

We were also a Sanger dragboat dealer. I ran an. 18'-10 flatbottom, powered by a blue printed 427 Chevy with dual 4 barrels on a tunnel ram, and over the transom headers. Ah 1968, what a year!!

Back