small holes drilled in prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should just leave the Prop work to professionals - like Mark.. I'm still worried about whether or not I'm going to get Mesotheleoma from playing around all the asbestos coming off the "Big Octopus Furnace" when I was a kid.. :eek: :lol: :lol:

Have fun Playing,

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta use protective gear thats for sure. I definately do. I do think I will invest in a full compliment of prop tools. That is a great idea.

Last edited:
Guys,

You would be much better off getting a good pitch gauge from Steve Wood

And learn how to use it. The holes are an old school modification.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark

WHY? Is this what you use? I hope not coz it may be good for a novice like me, but as a paid prop guy have you ever heard.......

When you have found a propeller that works well on the boat's set up, you still need to know if it is the correct pitch amount. This requires more than one propeller, in fact a series of propellers with the same blade shape, the same blade area, the same blade rake & exactly what the leading & trailing edge pitches are. Of course you would need a pitch gauge which can measure these things. The pitch gauges sold on the market for $275.00 can only measure the trailing edge pitch & that can not be measured very accurately! A difference of 1/8 inch in pitch will change the boats speed by 3 to 4 MPH. A 1/8 inch pitch difference between any two blades turns out to be approximately .015" when measured on the pitch gauge.

If this is the kind of gauge you use for paid prop work how can you guarantee that after you do a prop u can accurately duplicate it and have the same result for the next customer???????????????? Sounds kinda hit or miss to me.

Last edited:
Hugh,

Ask your friend Andy what he uses? I believe Steve made Andy one first.

When you know how to use a gauge properly you can reproduce many of them.

I have been using a combination of mandrels and various gauges that also compliment

Steve's gauges.

I have three different ones that I use Hugh. Which one do you use that is better?

Curious,

Mark Sholund

ANDY is your response? Sorry for asking but Andy never talked to me about you. Andy wrote me concerning one thing the props I paid him for. I asked YOU a question based on the style guage YOU recommended WE use not Andy. I dont use any gauges, Im not a paid prop professional. Im just a curious Novice that likes to learn. I guess I cant get a clear answer here . What was your purpose in recommending it to us novice if its not really the thing to use :huh: .

I told you long ago Ill give anyone a try but they at least should be able to explain their method without getting hot.nevermind, Its not worth creating a big issue or an imaginary rivalry that exist only in your mind.

wat gauge wud I use? Id have to see the ones you use to choose :mellow: Care to show them? I thought since you threw the specs out on the abc 4760 thread you were okay with at least explaining things about props to me even if we couldnt do business. But its okay I will never ask you another question about a propeller. Or better yet dont answer my questions....

I dont want to fool with propellers but if I cant get them fast enough (im highly impatient) ill do my own. If i do something I want it right. How else do you know without asking? If I do buy/build a gauge I want one that accurately gives me the most information It can about the prop without alot of complimentary BS! that only adds to the complication and chance of error or wrong reading.

I asked Dan to start this thread to learn. You came here to do wat? If not help.

Hugh

Just to be clear Andy Who? because I have several friends named Andy. Andy Forbis, Andy Hayes. I assumed you were speaking of Andy Brown. He can confirm he has not talked to me about you or your gauges. Sorry!

Last edited:
Mark, Im not looking for gauges per se Im looking for answers. If you dont have any cool.

Thanks Dan, for sharing the ventilated props. I was only curious as to what was going on. Since the pitch guage was thrown in the middle of our dicussion I was wondering how one pulls off consistent prop results with just it, since thats all they offered as a suggestion. Im still trying to figure out how it applies to what your did here. Seems more like a gauge or cupping discussion to me. Since I dont know how to properly read a pitch guage that will be my next question. On a different thread of course. I bet I learn one way or another.

Hugh

The style gauge id use if I could get one 625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 096.jpg records TE and LE numbers.

The design comes right out of the machinery handbook helical section - Not Andy Brown.

JIM ALLEN built the one pictured 40 years ago :blink: !

Last edited:
Hugh, the way you came across above is the reason mark told you to ask Andy (Brown) what gauge he uses. You made it sound like Mark should be crucified for using a Wood's pitch gauge to do professional prop work. Well, thats the industry standard among nearly EVERY person that I know who does props "professionally" Andy included Im sure. I know Aaron Alberico uses a speedmaster gauge, which is a near replica of the Wood's gauge.

Simple answer is, its one of the most recommended gauges ever. And of course its only as good as its operator. BUT, thats the same with nearly everything one will lay there hands on.

I personally have an Orlic gauge, and like it very much. Helps the price was right (thanks to Tim K). But it works just fine for me.

You can be pretty abrasive at times man. All of these guys are willing to share information, just have to come across a little different at times is all.

Im not trying to start a pissing match or anything with you, as thats old news and done with. Just stating from an outsider view looking in. Take that for what its worth I guess?

Rodney were just asking questions here anything else is imagined. Dan simply shared his experience with props. What you speak of with MS is an issue between he and I and has zero to do with this thread. Andy Brown likewise has zero to do with this thread or my source of information. If we need to open a seperate thread on pitch gauges feel free to do so but the issue between Mark Sholund and I is best left between Mark Sholund and I. I would have asked the same question of any other prop man that threw this guage in the mix. Its absolutely un-personal and the AB thing is imagined. Ive only talked to Andy through email corresondence in months in reference to purchased propellers - not that its anyones business.I will leave up to others to explain how the pitch guage made it on this thread and why???? :huh: I just figured since it went there lets talk about them....... Please pm me this kinda stuff coz it really has no place here and is a perfect way to kill a good thread where I an others are looking for answers.

thanks,

Hugh

- On Andy Brown - Andy Brown is a pioneer,teacher, and mentor of rc boats. He has perfected many props(abc h & s) and boats before some of us were born and likely while we jabber here is doing more of the same. When it comes to him comparison is stupid and ill advised. He is a "one of a kind" propeller guy whos stats speak for themselves.Andy is a well respected rc boater in my book. No matter what differences he may have had with this or that one when it comes to rc boats the man is the tops... and likely a Hall of Famer. He is also one willing to still learn and that in my opinion is his strongest asset -

with that said lets let it go coz theres nothing to argue unless you can find 10 people to disagree which I doubt you can. Enuf about Andy Brown, guys ears gotta be on fire by now dang.

FYI record books show there are other people that do not sell propellers that do excellent prop work. Kenny Stone,Terry Kelly,Don "Hackmaster" Ferette,Doug Smock, just to mention a few. Lets stay away from the prop guy competition and learn about the various pitch gauges strenghts and weaknesses.If thats what were gonna do.

I saw the gauge Keven just sold on IW. This is the type you speak of? Tell me what are its strenghts and weaknesses if there are any????? Were going to need a pitch gauge thread. Im not the only one here that has never used one. Im just not ashamed to admit it...... <_<

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh, yes, thats the one I use. Im not sure why some dont like it. Its very easy to use if you just follow the instructions. Basically its about the same thing as the Wood's pitch gauge, just on a stand. You put the pointer on the trailing edge of the prop at where ever you want to measure *ie: 50%, 60%, 70%, etc* and zero the dial indicator. Then you move it X degrees (I always use the 5* mark for 21 props) read how much the gauge moved, go to the chart provided by Mr. Orlic, and match it up. It will tell you what the pitch is.

Pretty simple to use, and I have had NO issue repeating measurements with it.

PS: Sent you a PM

I think Jim Allen, does a great job of explaining the type gauge he uses which takes le and te numbers without any charts etc. Were not knocking pitch gauges here, and Im sure any real prop guy has several guages, were just looking at the strenghths and weakness of the designs; whether it be a physical weakness or just one thats more likely to lead to user error when taking readings. Thats all. I suggest those who havent goto the above link on Jims boat dock and take a read. That might help to explain that im not being a smarty pants.

Rodney, modelpowerboats has plans to build that type gauge.

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh, yes, I noticed that in my searches.  But, couldnt turn down a free gauge :) And it does work quite awesome.

Hugh, I dont take leading edge measurements with mine. Im not sure if you can or not. But I assume it would work the same way? Ive never messed with leading edge to be honest.

Anyone???? Rod, this is why I ask questions.Youre honest coz I know youre not the only one that has never thought of any leading edge numbers. When the SW pitch guage was thrown out there it would have been nice to have an explanation as to how to use it to record all relevant numbers! Rodney if you ever have the priveledge to own two props of the same size by the same vendor for the same boat and find a way to accuately measure the LE and TE numbers make a comparison and see what you get. Are the props consistent within a certain degree of variance? Check it out sometime...

Hugh

" thats the industry standard among nearly EVERY person that I know who does props "professionally" Andy included Im sure"

ROD,

Dont be so sure whats in the cdmi toolbox and "trust" they are quite aware of the significance of accurately taking LE and TE numbers on a prop.Again willingness to learn is a powerful asset.Alot of years logged down there since the tidewater days.Alot of years since they were handed a SWPG.Its clearly an asset to boaters but not neccesarily the best kind of guage for every Job.A seasoned expert probably can get all the numbers with the help of calipers and charts but how will you or I the buyer scrutinize it if we dont have the proper tools or procedure????Youd have to know all the little tricks as well........

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh, please do tell what Andy has in his "tool box" then. I am just curious is all. Its apparent you must know what he uses? Or at least sounds that way by your posts. So please, do inform me.

Rodney,I have no idea what Andy has in his box thats youre assumption, does anyone?I dont even know if he in fact has a SWPG do you? Rodney if you find a way to accurately take LE numbers with your style guage please let me know as Im just curious . Do you agree that its important to know where it begins and where it ends? Or are you only and should one be only interested in TE numbers??Lets stay on track....Did you goto Jims boat dock and check out the article????

Latest posts

Back