small holes drilled in prop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew . hugh hargett wanted to see the prop i had at the badger race. so i started a new topic and showed what boat i had a pair of these props on and what they looked like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah was really just wondering what twin that was on- couldnt really tell by the pic- got any more ?

You have fun with the rest of that conversation, I refuse to indulge him.

Andy

Dan, how did you manage to come up with that as a soution or an option to backcutiing a prop? Very interesting.

Dan,

I haven't seen twin OPS's in a boat in years. Thanks for sharing.... :)

If you ever need parts for them let me know..... ;)

Dan, how did you manage to come up with that as a soution or an option to backcutiing a prop? Very interesting.
hugh, it is called"ventelating" has been aroud for many,many years.pro racers did that to unload the prop and rpm the motor a little quicker.they also had some guys accross the pond that had a tube that forced air into the trailing edge to try and create the same affect.for our boat i think back cutting and barr cuts is much more effecient,mike.

also a not so rare trick for full scale ob's. on a thru hub ex., we would drill holes in the hub, where the leading edge/tongue meets the hub. allowed us to pull bigger props for top end, & not kill the hole shot too badly.

Dan on the backcut thread some one said 3/8 holes. They must have meant 3...............1/8 inch holes. Is that right?

Could this technique cause more bad than good? While the holes are ventilating, could they also cause drag or resistance as water is trying to push through these holes? I've never tried it so I'm just asking - But to me a back cut would be more practicle with our smaller motors. This wouldn't be as much of a concern on the full size scale OB's as Robin mentioned as the power they're capable of "probably" wouldn't be compromised.

OH :D your post got me interested in what Dan was doing.
Yeah, I saw him at last weekends race. He's a good guy.. Anyways, you'd probably be better off doing a bar-cut close to the hub to relieve your prop/props. I say this because anytime you take material away from the prop - you have to make sure to get it exact on the other side. Using a dremel with a small grinding stone will asist with this on both sides. Start out shallow - then go deeper if you need more relief on you prop.

the holes are 1 1/16 holes and back in the day before i new people that did props i just tryed different things. all i know is i havent ran these on any other boat since. so they have been collecting dust. as a matter of fact i dont know where the other match to this one is.

Ok, Its stiil a method I guess. No matter its a real interesting approach. Thanks for the indulgement ;) . Nothing wrong with trying different stuff.

Hugh

Guys,

You would be much better off getting a good pitch gauge from Steve Wood

And learn how to use it. The holes are an old school modification.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark

"so they have been collecting dust" I think Dan is on top of it Mark.

Last edited:
Back