silent engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never met Steve, but I used to follow his racing in model boat magazine,

He seamed.to hang out in John Finch basement most of the time building Twin Craft boats. I have one of those boats, won a lot of races with it.

Rest in peace Steve.don't forget the glue on the bottom of the hull!

Jim Angier

A very sad day for family, friends and the model boating community. D12 races and record trials will be a little less fun without you Steve.

m very sorry to hear about Steve this evening.

He helped me tweek the little 20 mono I run and was a great person to talk to at the races.

He will be missed by all who knew him.

Wow...I just read this.I am so sorry to hear about this. I was just watching an old video a few months back that was recorded back in 1985 or 86 and we were all racing in a little pond somewhere in East Georgia maybe close to Conyers Ga. I think the name of the area was Sawnee and we only raced in that pond one weekend. On the tape they announced that Steve had won an Equi outboatrd pipe and when I told him about the tape he said "Yea, I still have that pipe". That was the last time I spoke with him. I liked Steve. He was always interesting to talk to and I will miss him.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Was looking forward to racing together in 2 weeks. RIP Steve.
default_sad.png
Just last year, chucking and telling Steve (where you going boy, get on them bouys.
default_biggrin.png
)

boat chucker.jpg

pitman.jpg

Oh no. So sorry to hear the news John. Steve loved model boats and competition. He accomplished a lot of feats in our hobby. One that stands out was how he swept all of the mono classes with his Twin Craft boats at the IMPBA Nationals in Bristol, PA in 1993. He will be missed for sure. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family and friends.

Ron,

It was the NAMBA NATS where he did that. I remember sitting down to dinner with Steve and Al Hobbs and it was the first time we had met Al. I was embarrassed that Steve told Al he was going to win all 4 mono classes. Wow! What a statement! He was determined that week and must have had some help from above because one heat I launched his boat and the plug spit out of the engine. I grabbed the boat, we put a new plug in it, started it, and launched before time ran out. He won the heat and all 4 classes as he predicted. He was not a shy guy. His most prized win was the IMPBA excellence of performance trophy, which was on display at the funeral.

John

Ron,

It was the NAMBA NATS where he did that. I remember sitting down to dinner with Steve and Al Hobbs and it was the first time we had met Al. I was embarrassed that Steve told Al he was going to win all 4 mono classes. Wow! What a statement! He was determined that week and must have had some help from above because one heat I launched his boat and the plug spit out of the engine. I grabbed the boat, we put a new plug in it, started it, and launched before time ran out. He won the heat and all 4 classes as he predicted. He was not a shy guy. His most prized win was the IMPBA excellence of performance trophy, which was on display at the funeral.

John
that was the best nats i ever went to,and the only time i ever met him.met alot of great people that week.can't believe it's been that many years.

Ron,

John
that was the best nats i ever went to,and the only time i ever met him.met alot of great people that week.can't believe it's been that many years.
Thanks for the correction John. Yes it was the NAMBA Nationals. I never knew about the statement Steve made but he did it, swept the mono classes. You are right Mike, that was a great time. I think Steve and I both got our Island Patches that week after willing, that was given for circling the huge island located at the back of the lake. You lose sight of your boat for about 15 sec. That was a long pause!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot video of that race, think I gave you a copy Ron. I was fairly new a didn't know who was who. Mostly boats running not much crowd footage.
default_wink.png
yeah ray,my cousin took a whole bunch of video too. i don't know if you remember a real cute blonde walking around with a huge cast on her arm,that was my wife val. i really had a good time at the awards dinner..

Ron,

John
Thanks for the correction John. Yes it was the NAMBA Nationals. I never knew about the statement Steve made but he did it, swept the mono classes. You are right Mike, that was a great time. I think Steve and I both got our Island Patches that week after willing, that was given for circling the huge island located at the back of the lake. You lose sight of your boat for about 15 sec. That was a long pause!!!!
hey ron,i was too afraid to do the around the island deal.i just built my 1/8 scale and took 3rd place that day and did not want to wreck it. fun times indeed..

I shot video of that race, think I gave you a copy Ron. I was fairly new a didn't know who was who. Mostly boats running not much crowd footage.
default_wink.png
Yes you did Ray. I have looked at that cd many times. I was in it a couple of times. I will have to upload it to YouTube for all to see. Steve and John may have been in it as well.

Back