Silent Engines for Gordon Mineo (Flash Gordon)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltr

:( A friend of ours,Gordon Mineo lost his life this weekend along with his wife,daughter and son in law.

I just can't believe it!

Some of you old timers may remember him running the Flash Gordon Nitro Funny Car many moons ago.

They were running in a Poker Run with his turbine powered Eliminator this weekend.All was going well,They were the second offshore boat to pick up the card and on the way back when they somehow ran just about head on with another boat that was on the way to pick up there card.

Unfortunatly the wife of the owner of the other boat also lost her life.

There were no survivors from Gordons boat.What made matters a little worse,Gordons best friend Leon was there to help remove there remains from the water.

My heart goes out to those familys suffering from those untimely losses.

And to Leon for what he didn't need to witness. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt

Gordon and family were very special to me also -- they would come by the shop to pick up crank,s when they where in town for a race and were always full of life

If I remmember they had a son by the name of Jason -- was he there also ?

Yes they will be missed

Henry

Walt

Gordon and family were very special to me also -- they would come by the shop to pick up crank,s when they where in town for a race and were always full of life

If I remmember they had a son by the name of Jason -- was he there also ?

Yes they will be missed

Henry
Henry,

I'm not sure where Jason was at the time.

I'll ask tomorrow when I have lunch with the Skater boys.

Leon Dearbury (you probably know Leon also)was one of the people who tried to rescue them from the water but there was no helping them. It was a mess.

I had lunch with Leon and Gordon not that long ago.

**** it,this part of racing really sucks.But it wasen't even a race,just a poker run. :(

Walt and others here are the funeral arrangments:

Gordon And Ann Mineo

MINEO, , "FLASH" GORDON & ANN Of Rockwall TX passed away September 2, 2006, as the result of a boating accident on Lake Texoma. Ann, 59, was born December 6, 1946, in New Orleans LA to Ronald and Evelyn Weibelt. Gordon, 61, a professional racecar driver and businessman, was born June 19, 1945, in Detroit MI to Joseph and Lorraine Mineo. They are survived by their children Jason and Trisha of Rockwall. The couple is also survived by Andrea's father: Ronald Weibelt of Rockwall; brothers: Ronald Jr. of 29 Palms CA and Bruce of Hunnington Beach CA; her aunt: Jeanne Hebert and husband Max of Gretna LA; Gordon's brother: Clarence Mineo of Riverside CA; and his aunt: Fran McClouth of Warren, MI. Funeral services will be held 2:30pm Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at Rest Haven Funeral Home-Rockwall Chapel with Msgr. Robert Coerver officiating. Interment will follow in Rest Haven Memorial Park. The family will receive friends from 6:00 to 8:00pm Tuesday at the funeral home. For more information please visit www.resthavenfuneral.com Rest Haven Rockwall Chapel 972-771-8641 Funeral Homes - Cemetery - Crematory - Florist Owned by the Cain Family

The other boat that was involved in this accient is from Nashville and owned by Bruce and Myra Gibson. Bruce survived and is expected to live however his wife Myra,perrished in this accident. Myra will be missed in this community and we wish Bruce a speed recovery both emmotionally and physically. The one thing that I can promise you is that Myra died doing what she loved to do. Bruce and Myra will always hold a special place in many hearts in the powerboat community.

Please let me know Walt and if you have a phone # for Jason please pass it on

Henry
Henry,

I don't know Jason personally but I'll see what I can come up with for contact info.

Alan,

Thank you for posting the Funeral arrangement info.

It's much appreciated.

And yes,they all perished doing what they really loved to do.

We'll all miss them.

Seems the reason God takes the good ones early is to spend as much time as possible with them in a better place.

Please let me know Walt and if you have a phone # for Jason please pass it on

Henry
Henry,

I don't know Jason personally but I'll see what I can come up with for contact info.

Alan,

Thank you for posting the Funeral arrangement info.

It's much appreciated.

And yes,they all perished doing what they really loved to do.

We'll all miss them.

Seems the reason God takes the good ones is to spend as much time as possible with them in a better place.
So sad to hear this. Didn't know the Flash but saw him race many times some years back.

Correction

It was not Gordons daughter and son-in-law in the boat with them as was first believed.It was another couple.

Correction

It was not Gordons daughter and son-in-law in the boat with them as was first believed.It was another couple.
Walt,

the news has messed up alot on the facts on this tragic accident (part of the time they have not been able to get correct state). I really wish that the media would take a few minutes to understand the going owns of these poker run as well as the false information that they pass on effects someone. The other family in Gordons boat had only been married for 18 months and leave behind a 12 month old as well. The other couple were event promotors as was Gordon and The Flash Gordon Boat was actually the pace boat or atleast that is my understanding from some of my friends that were there. The picture of this accident seen are absoutly horrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved.

Allen

That name goes back a ways as I remember it from the infancy of Funny Cars. I haven't kept in touch with Drag Racing like I used to and after finding one site last night I was surprised to see who else in the sport has passed away recently. I don't remember if he ever ran at our local strip Walt but maybe you'd know. I used to spend many a Saturday at Martin Dragway, now US-131 Motorsports Park.

I looked on the NHRA website also this morning and they're still talking about Indy.

Correction

Walt,

the news has messed up alot on the facts on this tragic accident (part of the time they have not been able to get correct state). I really wish that the media would take a few minutes to understand the going owns of these poker run as well as the false information that they pass on effects someone. The other family in Gordons boat had only been married for 18 months and leave behind a 12 month old as well. The other couple were event promotors as was Gordon and The Flash Gordon Boat was actually the pace boat or atleast that is my understanding from some of my friends that were there. The picture of this accident seen or absoutly horrible.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved.

Allen
After 2nd thoughts,

Deleted the post for obvious insurance reasons.

That name goes back a ways as I remember it from the infancy of Funny Cars. I haven't kept in touch with Drag Racing like I used to and after finding one site last night I was surprised to see who else in the sport has passed away recently. I don't remember if he ever ran at our local strip Walt but maybe you'd know. I used to spend many a Saturday at Martin Dragway, now US-131 Motorsports Park.

I looked on the NHRA website also this morning and they're still talking about Indy.
Hey Ron,

He ran just about all of the tracks.They were always a low budget team and did alot of match racing too.

The smaller tracks were used for tow money to get to the big races.

He was born in the Detroit area so I'm sure he raced Martin.I grew up in Jersey and I remember them there.

Ron

On the NHRA web site under top stories at the bottom it says NEWS ACHIVES click on there -- you will fine the story on Gorden

Henry

Thanks Henry. The NHRA site is the slowest loading that I've seen. I tried several times yesterday and kept getting Gateway time-outs. I finally upgraded to high-speed internet service a few weeks ago.

Back