"Selph-Inflicted" 3 Pt Hydro RC Airboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all!

My fetish is rc airboats. Been building for many years now. I thought I would share one of my projects with you.

This is my 3 Pt Hydro airboat. We have GPS-ed this video at 53.3 mph, which is the current RCAA Top Speed Record.

Here is the RCAA Top Speed Record set on 1/26/08.By one of my hulls.

Here is s pic of my 3 Pt Hydro.

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00116.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice boat. Do you have some action pics ? Would you be willing to post plans of the boat ?

Thats very impressive.

What size engine is that? Any thoughts of a tuned pipe engine for more power?

It's in the video (the engine size).

Very impressive, congrats!

I thought this type of propulsion was "slower", it's very fast!

Nice project / boat!

Thanks for the kind words! We have lots of fun with the airboats. B)

Nice boat. Do you have some action pics ? Would you be willing to post plans of the boat ?
Here are a few for you. I do not post or offer free plans for them.

AndysSI3Pointer.jpg

SIStockRun.jpg

What size engine is that? Any thoughts of a tuned pipe engine for more power?
The pic in my first post is the stock version. The current RCAA speed record was set with the OS61FX with an Ultra Thrust pipe on a modified hull. I know of a Rossi or two that will appear in the near future. B) Here are a few shots of the modified boat, the major mods on the hull being the inverted motor, lowering of the fuel tank, and the Octura rudder. No mods to the under side. The red nose cone was for photo only.

SI3Mod.jpg

SI3Mod2.jpg

SI3Mod3.jpg

I thought this type of propulsion was "slower", it's very fast!
Well, we are still a bit slower than most of the water-propped boats.....but we're working on that. :D

When we run, we prefer to run counter clock-wise, due to the puller prop. But I am able to run clock-wise or counter clockwise without the use of turn fins.

any pics of the bottom?
SIBottomView.jpg

Thanks again for the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
very impressive. i got started in rc boats building airboats when i was about 12. we would use old cox motors and door skins from hollow core doors and we had a blast. seems like too much fun from a one channel boat with a .049. i started to build an .80 airboat last year but got busy with other stuff maybe i'll dust it off. thanks for the inspiration. carl

[QUOTE="BB Mods]You might gain more speed with a nice thin rudder..
[/QUOTE]
The rudder I am currently using is 1/8" aluminum with a wedge on front. I have compare it to a few other rudders that are manufactured and they seem to be very close in size. A few of my personal boats have rudders that will cut you if your not careful.

Do you water proppers run very sharp leading edges?

I don't concern my self to much on a sharp rudder with my sport boats, but all of my riggers have lapped rudders that are sharper then a razor.

Back