Sealing wood boats prior to assembly

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samuel, I've had the same luck with Z-Poxy, not good. I found it to be fragile when compared to West Systems

The term for how epoxy bonds one material to another is called "hooking". Thats why slower setting epoxies tend to form a stronger bond then fast cure epoxies...hooking comes from molecular "cross linking" that occurs as the epoxy cures....anytime you bond epoxy to sealed wood or smooth fiberglass, you MUST abrade the parts with #80 grit paper....good idea to tack parts together with CA then BOND with epoxy, not so good to build a whole wood boat with CA...Epoxy absorbs some vibration and is flexable to a point, CA not so much......!

The term for how epoxy bonds one material to another is called "hooking". Thats why slower setting epoxies tend to form a stronger bond then fast cure epoxies...hooking comes from molecular "cross linking" that occurs as the epoxy cures....anytime you bond epoxy to sealed wood or smooth fiberglass, you MUST abrade the parts with #80 grit paper....good idea to tack parts together with CA then BOND with epoxy, not so good to build a whole wood boat with CA...Epoxy absorbs some vibration and is flexable to a point, CA not so much......!
You NAILED it Bill :) .

Thanks Glenn! Been so long since ive built a boat....i wonder if i even could!!!
Your failing to give yourself credit due my good friend -_-

You have forgotten more than most learn in a lifetime and you learned from the best- your boats are a tribute to your desire B)

THAT SAID -Bust the dust off ( okay- lets rethink that- unshrine is better :ph34r: ) the Tunnel and come join us in a few weeks - The Herbie race without ya aint the same , just sayin :( I can call Judy and shame her into a Sunday pass if you want :p :p :p

Miss ya Windex.

Last edited by a moderator:
You NAILED it Bill :) .
Right , but when will he actually RUN a boat again testing that epoxy ??????? :D Put the pocket protector electric planes down and thrash it !! :D :D

Hey look- Foleys back from the Fall Nats :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats buddy- tight work. WTF happened in F-Mono ???

Balls in your court Windex-

Sorry for the Hi-Jack, returned to your regularly scheduled programming and disregard anything you read here :ph34r: ;)

Zpoxy finishing resin is OK. It's not as good as west or mas,.. but will do in a pinch. It will stain a bit in the fuel / engine area.. Really,.. the only advantage is the availability and ease of mixing.

What Z-Poxy are you guys using. It's a pain in the but to mix, use, and doesn't stick to anything. I've even tried heating it up a little and still got horrible results.

"GO FAST",and Andy...guys...no...FRIENDS like you guys are the biggest reason why ive played in this hobby for SOOO LLLONNGG! Im VERY GRATEFUL FOR THAT!! Foley...POCKET PROTECTOR ELECTRIC AIRPLANES??????OMG! I am STILL LAUGHING MY AZZ OFF!(for some reason i cant do emoticons)What a FRIGGIN MANIAC you Are!!!! Dont change a thing...OSCAR!!

"GO FAST",and Andy...guys...no...FRIENDS like you guys are the biggest reason why ive played in this hobby for SOOO LLLONNGG! Im VERY GRATEFUL FOR THAT!! Foley...POCKET PROTECTOR ELECTRIC AIRPLANES??????OMG! I am STILL LAUGHING MY AZZ OFF!(for some reason i cant do emoticons)What a FRIGGIN MANIAC you Are!!!! Dont change a thing...OSCAR!!
LOL Luv you mang ! now you have a new job as head political advertising manager !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back