Scale Windshield

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefroooo

I have tried a number of times to pull a windshield for my scale boats and have wasted a lot of plastic. I bought a sheet of PETG plastic .032 thick. I have heated up in the oven untill it droops and tried plunging it down on my mold. Have been kind of sucuessful, but still not 100%. I also made a platten and hooked to my vacuum to pull down and the plastic gets wrinkles in it. Does anyone here have a vacuformer that can help me. I will supply the plastic and the plug + money for your labor. Im looking to have 2 dozen made.

Thanks Joe, St Louis Mo.

I have tried a number of times to pull a windshield for my scale boats and have wasted a lot of plastic. I bought a sheet of PETG plastic .032 thick. I have heated up in the oven untill it droops and tried plunging it down on my mold. Have been kind of sucuessful, but still not 100%. I also made a platten and hooked to my vacuum to pull down and the plastic gets wrinkles in it. Does anyone here have a vacuformer that can help me. I will supply the plastic and the plug + money for your labor. Im looking to have 2 dozen made.Thanks Joe, St Louis Mo.
I know Mark Bullard and Grim Racer have them if they have the time. I think Andy Brown makes cowls this way..............

When I used to fly planes, the way we made el cheapo cowls for sport models. Was to take a plastic soda bottle cut one end off and wedge a plug of the cowl into it. Then heat it up with a paint stripper gun. Because the bottle is blown and the plastic has memory it shrinks tightly around the plug. Then it's a case of cutting to suit. Bottles with smoother sides produce better finishes. Used this method on aircraft up to .60 size.

Joe,

I certainly will be interested in your results!

Kevin

When I used to fly planes, the way we made el cheapo cowls for sport models. Was to take a plastic soda bottle cut one end off and wedge a plug of the cowl into it. Then heat it up with a paint stripper gun. Because the bottle is blown and the plastic has memory it shrinks tightly around the plug. Then it's a case of cutting to suit. Bottles with smoother sides produce better finishes. Used this method on aircraft up to .60 size.

Joe,

Kevin

I owe you one Kevin, when i get it worked out.

Soda pop bottles are a thin plastic . I like mine thick! Hopefully Mark or Grim will chime in,

I have tried a number of times to pull a windshield for my scale boats and have wasted a lot of plastic. I bought a sheet of PETG plastic .032 thick. I have heated up in the oven untill it droops and tried plunging it down on my mold. Have been kind of sucuessful, but still not 100%. I also made a platten and hooked to my vacuum to pull down and the plastic gets wrinkles in it. Does anyone here have a vacuformer that can help me. I will supply the plastic and the plug + money for your labor. Im looking to have 2 dozen made.Thanks Joe, St Louis Mo.
You dont have to make it a big complicated project :lol:

SIG MFG. sells clear plastic sheets for windshield material.

You need at least .040 thick or the water will break it out. I dont know what petg is but all I have to do is use a heat gun to soften the SIG plastic sheet.

How are you doing the sheets? I make a paper pattern to fit, then cut out the shape on the flat platic sheet, lay it in the cowl mold and use a heat gun to soften the plastic , press in a part made from that mold and it will take the form of the cowl windshield.

Call me if you want to have some made

PHIL

Joe,

With all that you gave me, you certainly don't OWE me anything! Just keep me updated with all the results regarding the windshield and motor mounts. I am excited to get started, but I am just trying to figure out where to begin. I have been just staring at it since I have returned home.

Cheers,

Kevin

Joe,

Kevin

I owe you one Kevin, when i get it worked out.

Soda pop bottles are a thin plastic . I like mine thick! Hopefully Mark or Grim will chime in,

You dont have to make it a big complicated project . Phil you know I always complicate my projects. HEHE Big Bird those airplane cowls plastic is too thin for me, but thanks for the suggestion. I have gotten some information on the vacuum problem. The platten that I have made is too small causing the plastic to get the creases or fold in it. They call it a webb. I have to make a 12 x12 platten to form the windshields so there is more plastic to stretch over the mold. Looks like ill be clearing off the table saw to make one. Thanks for all the sugggestions on this and all that have bought a scale from me , when I get this licked ill get one in the mail to you. Thanks Joe

You dont have to make it a big complicated project . Phil you know I always complicate my projects. HEHE Big Bird those airplane cowls plastic is too thin for me, but thanks for the suggestion. I have gotten some information on the vacuum problem. The platten that I have made is too small causing the plastic to get the creases or fold in it. They call it a webb. I have to make a 12 x12 platten to form the windshields so there is more plastic to stretch over the mold. Looks like ill be clearing off the table saw to make one. Thanks for all the sugggestions on this and all that have bought a scale from me , when I get this licked ill get one in the mail to you. Thanks Joe
when i did mine Joe i just used the heat gun and formed the plastic over the cowl before I cut it out. I get folds but they are way past where the windshield goes so its not a problem.

How large is the plug?..

I can likely pull it for ya.. if ya want send me the plug and I will get the parts back to ya asap.

Grim

View attachment 10094
How large is the plug?..
I can likely pull it for ya.. if ya want send me the plug and I will get the parts back to ya asap.

Grim
Grim sent you a PM. Thanks
Is that Chuckies boat hiding in the background????????
The boat in background is Kens Oberto. Came back for repairs. Done and ready to go for paint at Wesleys. The boat in the front view is Chucks, Grahm Trucking. Im waiting on the rudder to finish it up and the windshield that Grim is going to pull for me. Here is Chucks 40 boat for next year. I scaled dowm my 60 Outlaw boat and made a new cowling. There will be 3 or 4 running next year. Watch out! HEHE

rigger.jpg

View attachment 10094
How large is the plug?..

Grim
Grim sent you a PM. Thanks
Is that Chuckies boat hiding in the background????????
The boat in background is Kens Oberto. Came back for repairs. Done and ready to go for paint at Wesleys. The boat in the front view is Chucks, Grahm Trucking. Im waiting on the rudder to finish it up and the windshield that Grim is going to pull for me. Here is Chucks 40 boat for next year. I scaled dowm my 60 Outlaw boat and made a new cowling. There will be 3 or 4 running next year. Watch out! HEHE

View attachment 10103
AMAZING your woodworking skills are equal to your glass work.

Have a look here, will any of these work for you

http://www.rcboatcompany.com/Cowlings.html

Pull down to the bottom of the page

Have a look here, will any of these work for you

http://www.rcboatcompany.com/Cowlings.html

Pull down to the bottom of the page
Yes i did see those. Peter Mueller has one of my hulls and did say that he found one from them that did fit. I think the T4. I have already bought the plastic and made the form but having problems making them with out major flaws. The way they will mount to my hull is in three pieces, front, left and right sides screwed or glued to the inner flange plate as seen in my post #12. In that picture the inner plate is not yet cut out. If my forward cowl is not exactly the same shape as theirs it will not fit properly. Grim is going to pull them for me. Thanks

Back