Scale windshield placing and cutting, and detail

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholashansen

Hello, I was hoping to have some light shed on this subject, as im particularly picky about this portion of the build and to me, its EXTREMELY distracting to me when I feel like a scale boats windshield is not aesthetically correct or scale accurate (I suppose those two arent always synonymous) .

Ive noticed that some hull providers have their windshield markings already indented/projected on their cockpits, but even these can be difficult to keep visual as you sand. Last time I went to mark my windshield shape, I used a black sharpie to outline it! Stupid huh?!? Bled through every subsequential coat of primer I put on..... not to mention I never really did get a truly satisfactory shape sanded and shaped how I originally envisioned it.

Also, ive noticed for alot of the current modern day hulls, the nose tip of the cockpit on the hull is usually left intact and the cowl has a flat spot to line up against it, and it seems like the point in which they seperate usually is right along where the windshield would usually begin on the full size boat! So for me, it sort of adds to my anxiety when attempting to cut into the cowl in order to leave a very thin portion of the cockpit intact.....not to mention it also makes it a little harder to sand precisely.

Heres just a few examples of cockpits/windshields that I really like, and i was hoping that if perhaps anyone can take claim here or provide some insight as to how these were finished, id really appreciate it. I assume most guys would simply just use a dremel to start and then finish sanding, but I still thought id ask for any helpful info!

Thanks!!

2015_Detroit_Sat_5213.jpg

normal_MVC-056S.JPG

gallery_5866_1399_139528.jpg

ss.png

u16f3.jpg

3rd pic is Greg Hahn, last is Don Ferrette. PM them.
default_cool.png

Lol actually the only one im not sure is the Formula and Bud pic, the 96 Joes is Dons as well, ive looked through his gallery for that particular build numerous times, and its funny too because I wasn't even a fan of that hull initially, I couldn't stand the box cowling at first and I was so used to seeing it on hulls with tiplets and longer non trip surfaces aft of the rear sponsons.... Once I saw Dons 96 hull though, it grew on me very quickly, and now I have the most bizarre attraction for it! suddenly have a strong desire to make the 97 Close call.....

anyway.... Greg did an unbelievable job on that entire friggin boat, but that cockpit detail is by far the best ive ever seen. So incredible!

I know that some people prefer to have their entire cockpit clear, and then they simply mask off the windshield shape and then paint the remaining areas, leaving a more smooth and "flush" surface like how the real boats are somewhat. Looking at Gregs, its clear this isnt the case, but at the same time, I love how he added the "lip" on the inside of the windshield with the small detail of the bolts so that it looks like the windshield pieces were layed inside! Just awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
oh my gosh.....

even "flush rivets" too??

haha, Im sort of a Howard Hughs/Scorcese/DiCaprio fan.

Im such an impatient person for this hobby, I cant imagine doing something like that!!

Yup!..Don's builds are immaculate...to say the least!!
default_smile.png

-Kent

I think if I remember right Greg said he dips a tooth pic in super glue for the screw heads. I would practice first though. You do it after pant and before clear.

Back