Scale vegas cowls Project, Who like scale looking vegas's?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

Posted - 01/21/2009 : 8:24:50 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after seeing some fellow rtr members as well as me make new cowlings for the vegas's and i got to thinking, If i could make cowls for the Vegas that look like the Scale boats. I found a few of the past and present boats that could work for the Vegas. I like the scale boats but cant afford one and many on here like to paint there boat like the scale but the Vegas cowl can only be so few if any scale boats.

I plan to make and experiment with different scale cowls to fit the vegas without modifiying the boat itself. Make different cowl that fits like the the original one, but the things like the front wing and turbine tube are at the owners decision. This is going to take time but hope it turns out good.

Here are some boats i plan to try, I picked these cause they have the thinner sponson like the vegas and some have simularities. When i get the money i will start on the cowls, experiment with some to make them compatable to the vegas some may require slight mods but overall still fit the stock shape.

If all goes well it may become a NEW PRODUCT

_5173017.jpg
U31circ.gif
02-02-05.jpg
30891134_oGeoK-M.jpg
8700-91-WinstonEagle3a.jpg
promo-freddiesclub1.jpg

big_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted - 01/21/2009 : 8:24:50 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after seeing some fellow rtr members as well as me make new cowlings for the vegas's and i got to thinking, If i could make cowls for the Vegas that look like the Scale boats. I found a few of the past and present boats that could work for the Vegas. I like the scale boats but cant afford one and many on here like to paint there boat like the scale but the Vegas cowl can only be so few if any scale boats.

I plan to make and experiment with different scale cowls to fit the vegas without modifiying the boat itself. Make different cowl that fits like the the original one, but the things like the front wing and turbine tube are at the owners decision. This is going to take time but hope it turns out good.

Here are some boats i plan to try, I picked these cause they have the thinner sponson like the vegas and some have simularities. When i get the money i will start on the cowls, experiment with some to make them compatable to the vegas some may require slight mods but overall still fit the stock shape.

If all goes well it may become a NEW PRODUCT

8200-91-T-Plus-3.jpg
pring.jpg

big_01.jpg
99-100-0520Poster.jpg
The first one isnt bad.. could do the T-5-6 miss buds 07 oberto cowl,or the Red Dot cowl isnt bad eighter,different..Keep me in mind on one..or two of them..

you might want to forego any boat with the canard in the front, like the first one pictured. Otherwise you will have to add a canard to the cowling and move the forward part of the hull back to make it work

Not necessarily Hydro junkie, with the canards on the cowling, you just dont have as big open space between the forward part of the hull and the canards. I actually turned my buddy's Vegas boat into the Llumar. It didn't look near as bad as I thought it would when he told me what he wanted done. I even added the wing that goes in front of the canards. You don't have alot of room to work with but it can be done. We didn't think of taking a pic of it or I would have posted it.

The Llumar has a full flying canard that isn't attached to the front of the cockpit, so you can do that fairly easily. I was refering to the boats with the canard faired in to the front of the cockpit. Either the front of the hull has to be changed or the canard will have to be attached to the cowl

The Llumar has a full flying canard that isn't attached to the front of the cockpit, so you can do that fairly easily. I was refering to the boats with the canard faired in to the front of the cockpit. Either the front of the hull has to be changed or the canard will have to be attached to the cowl

Yes, the canards were attached to the front of the cowling, which left no room for error when you were putting the cowl on or taking it off, because they were easily knocked off. It was just a trial run what we did, first time. If it was done right, I believe it would work.

Yes, the canards were attached to the front of the cowling, which left no room for error when you were putting the cowl on or taking it off, because they were easily knocked off. It was just a trial run what we did, first time. If it was done right, I believe it would work.
I do see what HJ is saying.. Ok if you do put a canard spoiler attached to the cowl,It would be a weak spot for the water to snap them off.Now unless you make side inserts on the inside sides of the sponsons..So they can be cliped in or set in a craidle.._l<like this is the piece that is a pin that can stick threw the wing and can be cliped on or this l_l<this one would be the U type craidel version..anything is possible if you use your mind...

Yeah interesting thoughts i was thinking about that but with the idea i had have to seperate the front from the middle. These are going to be semi- scale, close to scale but make it compatible to the vegas . the ones with the carnards wont have them just the cockpit area like a vegas but ill keep it in mind if it could work . it be good if it could so the gas tank has room. bringing the cowl more forward

Yeah interesting thoughts i was thinking about that but with the idea i had have to seperate the front from the middle. These are going to be semi- scale, close to scale but make it compatible to the vegas . the ones with the carnards wont have them just the cockpit area like a vegas but ill keep it in mind if it could work . it be good if it could so the gas tank has room. bringing the cowl more forward
It could be cliped down like the Cars&trucks bodys are done or screwed down,Ohhhhhh, better yet use the quick lock style fasners like the ones that the drag racers use for there hoods...I see they have the mini version for the R/C boats.. Ya I have a vegas hull with no cowl on it.. So I do need a cowl for it...Also I could adapt one vegas or your cowl to my dave frank sport20 hull.It needs one too.

Well i changed my mind im going to start with these three cowls. It will do 1992 Oh Boy Oberto and 1991-92 T-plus , Jim Harvey Motorsports,1989 Circus Circus,1992 Miss Rock, and Pico American Dream i plan on getting the plans reduce them to 1/10 and make them porportional to the vegas cowl.

8200-91-T-Plus-3.jpg
Miss-Oberto-783597.jpg

U31circ.gif
_5173017.jpg
30907838_GPHYo-M.jpg

Changed my mind check it out,

nobody is interested in new cowls? :unsure:

Check out the top of page all new line up for new cowls. Pretty Much had to go with most of the hydros with the turbine tube so that i dont have problems with the rudder linkage rod :D

Well i got my plans from newton time to get to building my first cowl, ITs going to be the tplus cowl, oberto and a few mods the tide, Bro going to make a vegas look like it. hopfully it comes out good

Gonna try to get it done in time to display at the mall show?? Soon as I get the camera charged up, have to send ya a pic of the cowling I redone from that Winston boat. Chopped down the sides, shortened up the air intake area. If I could have got the round bottom, would have almost resembled the Circus cowling. That Winston boat turned into the WABX boat. Painted it black which was probably not good, so I painted half the cowling white so it could still be seen in the water. Hope it dont become a speed bump......lol

That be cool , I have the plans for the circus circus i was going to do it to. theres just something about that boat i like. You could have a scale and rtr circus . Im going to show the beacon proboat at the mall. I may have one done for the may race to display as the oberto or tplus , Im working between my boat and the cowls right now

I had thought about a Circus RTR but I like the fact we can do those up with our own ideas too. I kept the Hooters name on it. Just made it look a whole lot better than it was last year, just being white with the decals. Its got a lot of that Hooters orange to it now. Definately be easy too see. As long as I dont get it stuck in a buoy....haha

there actually was a WABX boat it was driven by Mitch Hanson, It was all white with the wabx 107.1 one sponson sprint logo on the air intake , miller trucking and budweiser on the wing . It was the skyway park bowling hydro U-9

Back