Running a 12 volt starter at 24 volts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstew0903

I am changing to a different battery setup. I can fit 2 of the 7mah batterys in the spot of my other starter battery(home depot interstate lawnmower battery). I thought about wiring them 24v instead of 12v. Would it be better to have more amps than volts? Has anyone tried to use the hobbico starters with 24 volts? I am planning on buying one of the dynatron 24 starters but I wont be out much if this one will last a little while. I have problems trying to start a .45 ops inboard. Is it worth a try or will it burn up fast.

Jason Stewart

I am changing to a different battery setup. I can fit 2 of the 7mah batterys in the spot of my other starter battery(home depot interstate lawnmower battery). I thought about wiring them 24v instead of 12v. Would it be better to have more amps than volts? Has anyone tried to use the hobbico starters with 24 volts? I am planning on buying one of the dynatron 24 starters but I wont be out much if this one will last a little while. I have problems trying to start a .45 ops inboard. Is it worth a try or will it burn up fast.

Jason Stewart
Do it. I just built my starter box to go with either/both 12/24. I'm using a cheap, unknown brand starter (used - $2 from yard sale), and the speed and torque is amazing on 24V... You can see my starter box in the old gallery HERE.

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Stewart
Should have no problems.....usually, the contact switch on the starter will be the first thing to fail.

Also, I would recommend incorporating a switch so you can go back to 12v for starting the little 21's

though.....24v can really do harm to the motors if you are not careful.

I've been told that you can do it but not to crank them over for more than 15 seconds at a time then letting the starter cool down. Rarely do you need to run it for 15 seconds unless you have a grumpy engine.

Cool I'll thanks for the help. I like the field box you built also Duane. Looks great. I will make switchable from 12 to 24 volts. Glad you mentioned that I wouldnt of thought of that until later. I have a heavy duty momentary switch from a big ac panel I was going to use for the starter. It is like the one on the speedmaster box but has a rubber cover on it.

Jason

Cool I'll thanks for the help. I like the field box you built also Duane. Looks great. I will make switchable from 12 to 24 volts. Glad you mentioned that I wouldnt of thought of that until later. I have a heavy duty momentary switch from a big ac panel I was going to use for the starter. It is like the one on the speedmaster box but has a rubber cover on it.

Jason
Thanks, Jason. For the starter I chose to use simple wiring and two sets of posts, rather than switching from 12/24. That way, I eliminate potential switch troubles. I can use each 12V seperately, or the 24V by connecting to only the outer posts.

I'm still thinking of building a glow driver circuit board to go in next to the batteries (plenty of room), and installing an RCA phono jack for a twist lock glow plug clip. I've found a couple of different glow circuits on the web, and it's pretty easy to etch, drill and assemble a circuit board. Here's some INFO. If I find one of shallow depth, I may even have room for a small glow circuit ammeter. For a simpler, trouble-free glow driver, I could just put in a few C or sub-C size cells wired in parallel... I may go that route.

Duane

i blew the windings off 4 new starters from horizon hobbies, in about 2 weeks. bought 2 new high tork sullivan 12 /24 (1998) and they are still working fine. we use 7 amp x 2, 12 volt gell cells.

I'm still thinking of building a glow driver circuit board to go in next to the batteries (plenty of room), and installing an RCA phono jack for a twist lock glow plug clip. I've found a couple of different glow circuits on the web, and it's pretty easy to etch, drill and assemble a circuit board. Here's some INFO. If I find one of shallow depth, I may even have room for a small glow circuit ammeter. For a simpler, trouble-free glow driver, I could just put in a few C or sub-C size cells wired in parallel... I may go that route.

Duane
There is a much simpler design around for a glowplug driver that uses only a LM350, 240 ohm resister, 500 ohm pot., and an ammeter. Very simple and reliable.

Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to get another battery and try it. I will make it to where it is switchable between 12 and 24 volts.

Jason

Latest posts

Back