Starter Battery Options

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau Parsons

I just replaced all my boats with Life battery packs, and Lipos for my radios, and after thinking about it I was having issues last season with not having enough power for my 12/24 Volt Dynatron starter. I currently am using 2 motorcycle batteries that were wired for 24 volts. By the end of the day my current starter system was literally dead. I have looked at the Boris Starters but I run inboard/outboard and have a switch that changes from one to another, so I want to keep my current system just want more lasting power. So I am looking at replacing the motorcycle batteries in favor of a Lipo pack. Has anyone used a Lipo pack that can last for a full day of racing that will work with my starter? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Beau

Beau,

A 6S LiPo pack of 5000 mah and 30C discharge will run the Dynatron all day of starting with power to spare.

Been using 6S LiPo's to run my 603 and 650 Sullivan starters for 4 years now. Its enough with 3300-4000 mAh to run a 3 day event for me. Note, Sullivan updated the switch unit in these a couple of years ago (more silver in them I think) to withstand the LiPo glitches/sparks that eat them up eventually (faster then when using 24v). They're available as spares if you have an older starter.

Beau,

I use 5000 mah lipo on my Boris starter, and haven't charged in three months. Put on charge today. Took 5 min. to

fill it up. My Boris I think will start my car.

Bill

All good suggestions. I use 2 4800 3S lipo's so I can hook one up to a power panel for a glow igniter and two hooked together for 24v for the starter. Just another option.

Hey Beau,

I'm using Boris' starter as well. I'm running a 4S 2200MAh LiPo. Very cheap reliable Glacier battery. I have 1 wired for outboards, and 1 wired "normal". It is an easy change, and plenty of power (Like Bill said...likely start your car!
default_biggrin.png
) . Just an idea for you.

I also use the same "normally wired" LiPo for my Sullivan Dynatron to start my helis. You could potentially do the same thing if you didn't want to buy a different starter.

Cheers!

-Joey

Last edited by a moderator:
this past season we switched from using two lead-acid 12V batteries in series to a pair of 5500 mAh LiPo "11.1V" packs in series. The big difference I measured is that the voltage from the LiPos don't "sag" as much when turning over an engine. The no-load voltage with the LiPos is lower, but they only drop about half a volt when cranking an engine where the lead-acids would drop 1.5-2 volts.

so yeah, changing over is worth it. And if you're at all worried, they're small and light enough where you can just keep a second pair on hand in case the pair goes flat
default_smile.png

I use a 4s lipo for starter box. I do have two running in parallel for the starter and just tap one for glow power panel. This setup started my fleet of boats for 4 days at the nitro champs without a recharge. Probably get by with just one 4s. Oh and they don't crap out in a years time like those 7ah gell cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beau,

I know this isnt exactly the setup your after but heres another option for the dynatron. I use the 3.0 AH makita batfery and it has pleanty of power/ run time. I've never killed the battery even after an entire day of testing which requires much more starting than a race day. The battery only takes about 20 mins max to charge too.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=49759&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Brian

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I know have a direction to go with in getting a stronger and more powerful starting system

Beau

Back