Rudder on Chisel Nose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatMyShortsRacing

Folks,

Now it has come to the fitting out of my chisel nose I am wondering which side to put the rudder on. I checked some old pics of the Dr Toyota and Oberto and the guys who built them had the rudder on the left hand side. Now I would have thought that you would want all the weight in the boat down the right hand side (closest to turn fin) so all your radio gear would be on that side with the pipe going down the left side. This would put the rudder on the right.

your thoughts?

All the guys in the San Digeo ,L.A area that run those Chisel Noses have them on the left side and it works for them..They can turn them an a dime and give you change...

Roy Munoz said:
All the guys in the San Digeo ,L.A area that run those Chisel Noses have them on the left side and it works for them..They can turn them an a dime and give you change...
85823[/snapback]

Roy,

They are the boats I have pics of and yes they do have the rudder on the left. But I looked through a lot of pics and found a lot of boats with the rudder on the right. From a balance point of view I thought having the weight nearer the turn fin would help. We actually have 3 of these boats nearing completion so I spose we could do one opposite.....

Craig

I had mine a little to the left of the prop and have just moved the rudder as far as possible to the left. Found that the boat now drives better trough the turns, but this could also be due to the new Sport 40 turn fin on it as well.

I remember hearing that these are scale boats and to be true to scale the rudder should be on the same side as the real thing.

Grub

.............Roy is right on................... but I also offset the strut to the left and point it towards the motor which means that the motor is not parallel to the tub.

I run the rudder to left as far as I can like Grub does. And the fin makes a difference. I had to move mine out as far as possible to the outside sponson. I also had to extend my rudder back further from the transom. But remember, that is because I want to cover the turn in San Diego which is only a 15 foot radius.

I tried to get our club to go the other way around the course like the real boats. There are no Smiley icons that will show what they said to me. I am lucky to still be alive.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Grub,

Checked the rules last night and rudder side is optional. Also covered under the 'mirror image' rule....

So its going on the left... I have been convinced!!! Now to get all this stuff to fit into the boat!!!! Still got the MAC 67 drama... maybe I should get my old CMB 67 ABC with exhaust throttle out of retirement???

Al Waters said:
.............Roy is right on................... but I also offset the strut to the left and point it towards the motor which means that the motor is not parallel to the tub.I run the rudder to left as far as I can like Grub does. And the fin makes a difference. I had to move mine out as far as possible to the outside sponson. I also had to extend my rudder back further from the transom. But remember, that is because I want to cover the turn in San Diego which is only a 15 foot radius.

I tried to get our club to go the other way around the course like the real boats. There are no Smiley icons that will show what they said to me. I am lucky to still be alive.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

85908[/snapback]

AL,

I think we are running off the same plans as you. Al Mawhinney and his son are also building the same boat so we have 3 in the production line at the moment with the strut offset. I think it ends up almost 3/8" to the left from memory...

The next thing we dont know is how much weight is added to the boat and where?

Craig,

I added 1.25 lbs in the hull during construction just in front of the tanks near where the words Oh Boy! Oberto will be located. I still added a strip or two of lead weights after the build during the trimming process.

Remember, I am not one of the fast ones. Just been lucky I guess.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al Waters said:
Craig, I added 1.25 lbs in the hull during construction just in front of the tanks near where the words Oh Boy! Oberto will be located. I still added a strip or two of lead weights after the build during the trimming process.

Remember, I am not one of the fast ones. Just been lucky I guess.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

86091[/snapback]

Is moving the engine further forward a reasonable way to avoid putting weight in the nose?

Back