Rossi Dyno

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
Here is a photo of the Rossi Dyno. They designed and manufactured it themselves.

They use electronic load cells to measure the torque and get a direct read of rpm. Tied to the computer, they get a repeatable hp rating.

Repeatable is an important function of accurate measurement.

Will this provide the same hp ratings as another dyno? I doubt it. But, what it does do is provide excellent comparisons from one engine to another, one design modification to another, and one pipe to another.

This is the first time I have seen a believable model engine dyno used at any model engine factory.

Al Hobbs

Ok, where is the photo?

I guess I had better get some help, I'm not much of a computer guy.

Al Hobbs

Here is a photo of the Rossi Dyno. They designed and manufactured it themselves.

They use electronic load cells to measure the torque and get a direct read of rpm. Tied to the computer, they get a repeatable hp rating.

Repeatable is an important function of accurate measurement.

Will this provide the same hp ratings as another dyno? I doubt it. But, what it does do is provide excellent comparisons from one engine to another, one design modification to another, and one pipe to another.

This is the first time I have seen a believable model engine dyno used at any model engine factory.

Al Hobbs
al do you have any h.p. numbers on your engines yet from this dyno?

Thanks Al, looks like they really know what they're doing.

BTW, the resistance in an exercise bike works the same way, turn a steel disk between two magnets, vary the load by the amount of magnetic field involved.

First of all, I want to point out that I do not put any faith in the manufacturers' power claims. It doesn't matter if it is Rossi, NovaRossi, CMB, Picco or whoever. They use comparisons and math to arrive at their calculated horsepower ratings.

I do believe that rpm claims are accurately measured. I guess it means that at one rpm over their rating, the engine lets go.

So much is determined by what fuel you use, what pipe, what glow plug, the head clearance, and load.

Rossi claims 3.23 horspower for the car engine that uses the same case as the A/A 21 SLS. They claim 41,300 rpm with the dyno load.

The A/A 21 SLS uses the same bore and stroke and similar timing as that car engine. The A/A 21 SLS uses the same bearings and crankcase seal. The A/A 21 SLS uses a different headbutton, crankshaft, crankcase volume and rear case cover.

I have not asked them to do any ratings for the A/A engine as I do not think there is anyway to accurately verify the horsepower claimed. They could say it makes 3.5 horsepower.

How could I verify that the claim was accurate?

I do not make any claims for the A/A 21 SLS concerning horsepower or usable rpm.

Al Hobbs

First of all, I want to point out that I do not put any faith in the manufacturers' power claims. It doesn't matter if it is Rossi, NovaRossi, CMB, Picco or whoever. They use comparisons and math to arrive at their calculated horsepower ratings.

I do believe that rpm claims are accurately measured. I guess it means that at one rpm over their rating, the engine lets go.

So much is determined by what fuel you use, what pipe, what glow plug, the head clearance, and load.

Rossi claims 3.23 horspower for the car engine that uses the same case as the A/A 21 SLS. They claim 41,300 rpm with the dyno load.

The A/A 21 SLS uses the same bore and stroke and similar timing as that car engine. The A/A 21 SLS uses the same bearings and crankcase seal. The A/A 21 SLS uses a different headbutton, crankshaft, crankcase volume and rear case cover.

I have not asked them to do any ratings for the A/A engine as I do not think there is anyway to accurately verify the horsepower claimed. They could say it makes 3.5 horsepower.

How could I verify that the claim was accurate?

I do not make any claims for the A/A 21 SLS concerning horsepower or usable rpm.

Al Hobbs
Yes, H.P. claims are for the most part...a bunch of crap! I've seen a red head CMB valvola in a hydro go great in an experienced boaters hands. Someone has once claimed it to be one of the strongest engines out of the box at 3.25 H.P. And then in the next heat I've seen a Nova-rossi powered sprint totally blow away the field of CMB's..... Does this mean the N/R makes 4 H.P.?????? How about 3.75? I dought it.... Who really cares? Engines make as much power as they they do and it takes a good set up to bring it out. Prop/pipe/fuel/needle setting/boat and driver all are key. The best engines are the ones that last the longest and have the best materials in their construction.

I have to agree, set up is the key with any engine. I've seen an engine push a boat to the point it was borderline uncontrollable, resulting in a damaged hull. In a later heat, that same engine, in a different hull, couldn't hardly get the boat up on plane

Years ago I was talking to Louis Durand. He was one of the Southern Gentlemen boaters and came up with the original Spider Hydros. One thing he said that we should all remember, "If the boat is right, it will go well with a tired engine. If the boat isn't right, even the most powerful engine can't make it run well." His boats ran well.

Latest posts

Back