RIO 51 update required

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard bourdon

I've just purchased a used RIO 51 with the original Fuji engine. I've heard it's hard to start...Does anyone have any suggestions about his boat and has anyone tried the suggested Coleman camp fuel? We have a 'run what you brung' class at our club and I'm hoping to get this thing setup to race.

Thanks

Richard,

A few hints about your boat.

The Fuji has very low compression, we have found camp fuel (lowest octain) is best in this engine. Mix the fuel 16 to 1 when doing so. 8oz oil to one gallon camp fuel.

The motor can be hard to start.. its best to curl the recoil. (like you are curling a weight) pull it fast, pivot at the elbow.. Don’t pull from/with your shoulder like starting a lawnmower.

And.. if you like.. (I would do this if you are just going to sport run the engine). WARNING THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.. just a heads up..

Remove the current tuned pipe exhaust system and replace it with the Fuji 34 airplane muffler (you will have to cut a hole in the cowl for the exhaust to come out). Cover the hole in the transom so water does not get in.

If the boat is set up this way.. it will run like a Swiss watch, lap after lap after lap.

BTY.. boat runs the same speed with either muffler option.

Have fun

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back