Rigger Set-up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomMoorehouse said:
how do you guys measure strut angle without a digital level???
89767[/snapback]

I'll drill a hole through the table @ the back of the strut and the front. I'll then find the heighth differance using a depth guage. Knowing this and the distance between the holes will allow me to figure out the angle.

Never thought of that. I guess if you had a digital level you could turn the boat upside down on a jig with the tub level then measure sponson and strut angles. Anybody done that?

John,

That is my idea of simple. Just how I do it. The digital level is one of the best

tools in my boating box. You can have all that math stuff. :lol:

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
John,
That is my idea of simple. Just how I do it. The digital level is one of the best

tools in my boating box. You can have all that math stuff. :lol:  

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

89799[/snapback]

Mark, I guess everyone has their own method. The digital angle thing is fine but I'd have to go out and buy the digital level.

Since I already have all of the tools and the experiance, it's not difficult and less of an investment for me to measure the angles with this method. It's the same method we used @ Coors to set up a sine plate.

From an economic point of view, this is how they compare.

Digital level method:

1 Digital Level @ $130.00

Depth guage method:

1 Corian table @ $33.00

1 Depth Indicator @ $30.00

1 Scientific Caclulator @ $30.00

As you can see, it's not much of a differance so it does come down to personal preferance.

Joe,

The great thing about the digital level is that you can measure the sponsons,

strut,tub,tops of the sponsons,rears,etc. all in the matter of seconds. I think

your way it will take a lot longer than that. Time is money! Accuracy is the

ticket though, how long it takes to get it, is just up to the individual I guess.

Joe the funny part of all this is that it is coming from an individual that has

the best of everything. :lol: :lol: :lol: It really is a handy tool though. :D

Good Luck Measuring,

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
Joe,
The great thing about the digital level is that you can measure the sponsons,

strut,tub,tops of the sponsons,rears,etc. all in the matter of seconds. I think

your way it will take a lot longer than that. Time is money! Accuracy is the

ticket though, how long it takes to get it, is just up to the individual I guess.

Joe the funny part of all this is that it is coming from an individual that has

the best of everything. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   It really is a handy tool though. :D

Good Luck Measuring,

Mark Sholund

89831[/snapback]

Understand that I just plug the measurements into an Excel workbook for the calculations.

Plus, 6 new motors and 5 new boats in the last 8 months and the boss starts looking @ the expenses. At this rate she'll never let me get the 'Vette. :blink:

John Finch said:
Never thought of that.  I guess if you had a digital level you could turn the boat upside down on a jig with the tub level then measure sponson and strut angles. Anybody done that?
89798[/snapback]

John: With the digital level there is no need for the boat itself to be leveled on a jig. You just flip the boat upside down, put the level on the flat of the tub and press "zero". As long as you don't move the tub from it's origional position, all your angles are measured from that point. I'm all for the set-up table as you can check things that you can't with the level. Like checking square etc. Before I take any measurements I check to see if the tub is out of shape or not. I put the boat on the table resting on the fronts and make sure both the rears touch at the exactly same time. This at least tells me that the boat isn't twisted. Something as simple as tightening the fronts more on one side than the other can change the set-up of the hull. I didn't get this fussy until I started running .20 boats but use the same practises on all sizes now. I think it pays off.

Ron

Joe_Knesek said:
Plus, 6 new motors and 5 new boats in the last 8 months and the boss starts looking @ the expenses. At this rate she'll never let me get the 'Vette. :blink:
89836[/snapback]

Hey JK, been down that road my friend. My last Vette I spent 40K (not including my labor as I did all the work) on a full ground up resto of a '71 coupe. Man she was just awesome but once I got it done I could never really enjoy driving it, worried too much about all the knuckleheads out there driving the same roads. These little boats are far less stressful. B)

After getting out of the Vette thing and into the boats, $139 for a digital level is a drop in the bucket. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Ferrette said:
Joe_Knesek said:
89836[/snapback]

Hey JK, been down that road my friend. My last Vette I spent 40K (not including my labor as I did all the work) on a full ground up resto of a '71 coupe. Man she was just awesome but once I got it done I could never really enjoy driving it, worried too much about all the knuckleheads out there driving the same roads. These little boats are far less stressful. B)

After getting out of the Vette thing and into the boats, $139 for a digital level is a drop in the bucket. :)

89842[/snapback]

Now I never told her I'd stop racing boats. She may drive me to the dealership herself if I said that!

by the time the sun lines up with the moon and the digital level aquires th 3 gps satelites it must have to have to "0" out', we've adjusted the strut 3, times set the fronts once, ran 2 tanks of fuel an grilled a couple of new york strips on the barbie.

steve wood said:
by the time the sun lines up with the moon and the digital level aquires th 3 gps satelites it must have to have to "0" out', we've adjusted the strut 3, times set the fronts once, ran 2 tanks of fuel an grilled a couple of new york strips on the barbie.
89846[/snapback]

Guess I'm lucky that the sun, moon & 3 GPS satellites can line up in about 2 seconds. :lol:

Yes Don it is dental othodonthic stainless steel and used it because I have very soft rubbers in this boat and had lost a screw leading a heat that I couldn't finish ! :( :rolleyes:

Gill

Don,

Maybe we should schedule a testing session with Steve Wood.

The run a few tanks while the Steaks are cooking sounds like a good time. :lol:

Really Steve is just an expert in a machine shop and he doesn't have the extra

two seconds. :p Time Is Money Honey :D

Having Fun Yet?

Mark Sholund

shoboat said:
Really Steve is just an expert in a machine shop and .....
89856[/snapback]

I'll got along with that. He made me a couple head buttons a little over a year ago that were real nice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time i ran my Eagle SG 67 boat i had Mark put in on his setup table .I always was trying to get it setup properly.First thing the set up board did was check to see it was flat on the sponsons and rear .It was so Mark had his 67 boat were he had it down where it ran good mine was way off from there.I set mine like his using the digital level he also used it right on the strut .I also run with the Woods team.The board does work and so does the level i wasnt sold on it either but after that i ran the boat it was the fastest run i had on it.It would have been faster but the steering was way off so i was fighting it.By the way im usually the one cooking the steaks and them Woods team can put them down so bad that i seen Chris running his hydro from a lawn chair he was so full. :lol:

steve wood said:
89846[/snapback]

Steve,

The digital level has nothing to do with GPS!

Don Templeton said:
steve wood said:
89846[/snapback]

Steve,

The digital level has nothing to do with GPS!

89870[/snapback]

Got Proper Set-up? :lol:

Back