Need Advice on Large 68" Hydroplane Set-up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Heddin

OK, some have seen and posted on my AVL hydro thread. I have been convinced to abandon the straight shaft and go with a strut and flex shaft.
The boat is 68" long, with a 3 3/8" sponson depth, and 17" wide "tunnel".
Need to know where to start on the prop depth? Would it be bout the same as with the straight shaft?
Any other set-up details as well?

Attachments

• 20231230_173858.jpg
    20231230_173858.jpg
    819.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240101_174134.jpg
    20240101_174134.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240101_174144.jpg
    20240101_174144.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240101_174328.jpg
    20240101_174328.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_20231228_124901.jpg
    thumbnail_20231228_124901.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 0
Definitely toss the straight shaft.

Set it up like any other hydro or rigger on the bench. Put the strut flat with no positive or negative angle and set the depth of the center of the shaft at the same depth as the bottom of the sponsons.
Your bigger issue will be finding the balance point. I would try and balance it so that with everything in the boat ready to run, fuel and all, that when the hull is resting on the sponsons and you set the strut on top of a scale, you have only about 1/2 pound or there about showing on the scale.

Terry
I offered already to help you. I need some numbers before I can tell you what I would do. You can PM for my number and I can walk you thru it. To much to type. I have done wonders for some of the ERCU hydros that come into my shop. I have one out there right now that I will be doing the setup on.
Mike

Terry
I offered already to help you. I need some numbers before I can tell you what I would do. You can PM for my number and I can walk you thru it. To much to type. I have done wonders for some of the ERCU hydros that come into my shop. I have one out there right now that I will be doing the setup on.
Mike
I agree too much typing ..
,but yeah easier for you to talk it through with him..

Definitely toss the straight shaft.

Set it up like any other hydro or rigger on the bench. Put the strut flat with no positive or negative angle and set the depth of the center of the shaft at the same depth as the bottom of the sponsons.
Your bigger issue will be finding the balance point. I would try and balance it so that with everything in the boat ready to run, fuel and all, that when the hull is resting on the sponsons and you set the strut on top of a scale, you have only about 1/2 pound or there about showing on the scale.
I have Explained to him on jims the other day how to make a start on it, he has made a few posts on jims and on here all the same questions ,good luck to him.

I was able to get ahold of Terry last night. I gave him a good starting point. He biggest problem is the boat is so big that it is at the limit of the largest hardware that is being made these days. Spent about 40 mins with him so we shall see.
Mike

Back