Rigger madness......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Gene,

I had a dream last night that I built a pan boat with a lexan body, been thinking about it all morning.

Hey Mike,

Yeah!!!! That thought crossed my mind too, CF substructure with a clear outer covering...........

KEWL!!! :D

I am working on some patterns this weekend, will post some ideas when I am further along ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeP said:
Hey Gene, I had a dream last night that I built a pan boat with a lexan body, been thinking about it all morning.
Hey Mike,

Please excuse my ignorance..... What is a pan boat? :(

Gene,

What do you know about the rigger in the picture you just posted and who built it.

What I see, other than the center sponson/strut, is what appears to be quite a bit of dihedral angle in the front sponsons and no turn fin.

I do think the center sponson/strut could lend itself well to a CF substructure.

Don B)

Hi Don,

Yeah I went nutz over this boat, Its Glenn Quarles second design the Ross Lite with a Nova, the Sireo only went 71-72,

Quote from Glenn: A Hydro SAW Record,

This was done with the Ross lite, the original hull was lost in the move to Texas. Made several passes at just over 78 mph and set the two way average for the record at just over 75.4 mph.

Gene :D

Wade,

The word pan as I used it comes from the R/C car world. A pan car has a flat piece of carbon or fiberglass about 1/8" thick that is very stiff used for a chassis. All of the car components are screwed and taped to the chassis. They are used for racing on asphalt.

I have been using pan car chassis to make boat parts :D

Mike

Oh, I get it now. Come to think of I have heard that term before referring to RC cars. I have never been involved with cars though, i guess that is why i didn't know what you ment.

Wouldn’t the clear lexan hull weight more than thin CF cloth to achieve the same strength? I have never mess with it, so i am just wondering.

What I liked was a thin CF frame covered with very thin lexan or even mylar, dont know if the later would hold up to the abuse, the lexan should, All ideas so far......... kinda depends on what I find to work with after the tub framing is done,

Could be alot like a outboard with the abs cowl, wonder what a rigger would look like with a Dumas cowl.

Mike

Ha,Ha, Sheeesh!!! Wild to say the least!!!! :eek:

Lets see you could section it down the middle and then glue the two halfs..........Man I am WARPED :blink:

Gene :lol:

Crap just got outbid on the .21 engine for the project, Maybe a redesigned .12 ? Here little Picco............ Still got one of those..... :p

What is the biggest speed limiting factor for a rigger?

I still wanna see one covered in Monocote.

Well other than the thickness of yer wallet :p I'm gonna say aero and hydrodynamic drag,

Mike, a guy near me, Ric Carpenter, built a fully cowled .21 'rigger that was designed on a computer at the nearby University. The boat actually ran quite well considering that it only had an old K&B in it. The tub was bullet shaped with the rounded nose. The boat got totalled at a race in Saginaw when he let off the throttle and the flex cable decided to stay behind and got rear-ended. I'd like to see him build another one, it had potential.

On Glenn's hull, The ski type design of the sponsons is what really stood out to me.....Also the lack of any cooling, Just the head button

Glenn's boat is cool looking, BUT don't get too hung up on all the fancy curves & wingy thingy's. Preston Hall broke both Glenn's SAW & Gary Pruesse oval records (Preston now holds all 3 - 1/4 oval, 1/3 oval & SAW) with a rather conventional designed rigger, just small & very light. That was at the same SAW event BTW that the temp was 85+ & the air density was in the pooper. I will tell you this- ALOT of time was spent heavily focused on engine temp & THE PROPS!! If we would have had the temp & air density we SHOULD have had for that time of year (85+ in Nov. is about 20 degrees ABOVE the norm) Preston would have crushed the record rather than a solid bettering of it. :blink:

Don, what kind of boat did Preston use? Did he build it from scratch or was it one of KP's boats?

Back