Rigger madness......

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hey Guy's

I flipped out on Glenn's design on his SAW .12.......... So what about sizing it up to a .21, Still ultra lite?

Sounds like fun ta me, collecting the parts and materials now, got a line on a K&B 8916 for testing. Not spending a lot of mula till I see how it goes. No doin a exact copy either, just some of the ideas from the .12 applied to a .21,

Gene

Mike P.

Might need some sources on composite sheeting and such :)

Still debate'n about strut or stinger style extension out the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dude :)

I'll drop ya a line when I'm further along.

Wade,

Send me a couple pics of that tapered tail design rigger you did in CAD please, side or top 3/4 view? Want to use it for reference :)

Might go with the ovaled aluminum booms, dont know yet.

Gene, YGM!

I sent all the pics I had already made. If you want any others, let me know & I'll see what I can do. It sounds like a cool idea!

Thanks Buddy :)

Got em all, transom shots too.

Gene

Doin some ideas on shapes and well see where it goes,

Gene :)

Gene,

Here is something I stole from another site, hope I don't get in trouble.

"We are in control with composites. The opposite is using balsa and plywood which has the same strength and feel through out the entire piece, weither we need it or not. Directly replacing traditional materials will be heavier, you need to think about what the piece was doing.

Coreing a flat panel makes perfect sense, but how about a constant curved piece like a fuselage? Does not the shape give rigidity and strength naturally, even with a single skin of carbon?

The reason for adding core material is to increase strength/stiffness to a particular place. To make a 1D skin into a 2D skin where it needs it...

Places that have high stress like landing gear mounts and wing tubes need extra thickness, but we must transfer that stress gently. When using a core material for spot strength, the edges of the core need to be tapered, about a 1 to 4 ratio is a good starting point.

Working with composites requires new thinking, somewhere between a artist and a detective. We tend to not look at our parts so detailed because our old methods used flat sides and little curves which required little thought. With our new world of curved pieces, just stand back and just look at the shape of your piece.

It will tell you what it needs.

Just something to think about. "

Hey Mike,

WOW that is good stuff there!!!! As far as the design element, and the way we all think about things, that just went out the window with the 120+ SAW electric design!!! Thats what got me goin here, and Glenn's use of weight reduction concepts, Anything goes from here on out!!!!

Ha,Ha,

Gene

How about that "high tech" radio box lid! Box tape that he pulls off after each run. I am working on a rigger right now that has a 1/8" balsa lattice frame that will be covered with 1/64" plywood. My goal is a boat that weighs around 2 lbs ready to go!

Bob

Looking forward to your project gene.

I'm working on a sigaar gas rigger right now (didn't desgin it myself, got the middle section from a friend)

rigger

Hi Bob,

Yeah, that's the type of thinking, or the muffler made from a piece of tubing and a chunk of nylon. Cool idea on the lattice and ply!!!

Hey Paul,

You got a great start goin on there!!!! Neat idea on the shape, A example of the different thinking, the round tub with tapering tail.

Its gonna be hard for me to scale it up to .21 and not gain weight.

One idea I had was CF spines "for lack of a better term" running down the length or X'ed at the stuffing tube exit, to prevent twisting in the tub, with smaller thinner bulkheads.

Gene

How about a small lightweight sub frame that holds the front sponson rear boom tube, motor, stuffing box, strut, together as one assembly. Then a thin light outer shell to controll the water and air.

Mike

KEWL!!!! I like that one, that would be lite fer sure,

I gotta get some measurements and draw some stuff,

I'll do a mock up in lite ply fer starts to get everything located and dim. correct and go from there ;-)

Gene

That’s pretty good stuff about composites and shapes:

It's nice to have another degree of freedom from traditional shapes that were constrained by traditional materials.

I’m certain this is where some small details will evolve that will help us all get some future improvements in velocity/handling.

Hey Kev,

Yeah the sky's the limit now, I gotta dig out my french curve and draw some stuff on my 3 ply, Ha,Ha,

Gene

Phase III Racing: Jigsaw's away......................

How about a small lightweight sub frame that holds the front sponson rear boom tube, motor, stuffing box, strut, together as one assembly. Then a thin light outer shell to controll the water and air.
Perhaps you should look closely at some of the electric rigger kits we have designed over the past few years.

This is the way they are all built.

As for trying to make the boat super light in construction, I think you are headed in the wrong direction here. A light boat may not always be your friend.

Let the air around the boat do the work for you. It's free and can be a huge help.

Riggers are so far from optimum in aerodynamics it is not even funny.

Learn from some of the top airplane speed guys. they have fairing and slipstream figured out.

Figure they are doing well over 200 MPH with less power than most 21 sized riggers. Makes you wonder how they do it? Its all about the medium. Use the air to your advantage, not against you.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Hi Peter,

Thats a good counterpoint, I have looked over your designs and many others, to come up with new ideas.

The one thing I have found is there is a trend to stay with certain ways of goin about thing's, tub, sponson, or otherwise.

This is what drew me to Glenn's boat, Its so different all the way around and the fact that 1 1/2 lbs of rigger with a .12 went 78 mph made me want to go that way,

Not the only way to go I am sure, just different from everything else out there,

Gene ;-)

Try'n something new here from Village photos image hosting.........

For a free account check out:

www.villagephotos.com

Back