Returned to nitro after trying out gas?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The creeping on the start sucks in the gas classes. They should hit the line WFO!!!

Kevin
Well Kev, sounds like you should make a proposal for minimum starting line speed. LMAO!! I can see it now, what sheet storm THAT would start on the Dock! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"All boats must be on plane the final 15 sec before the start". That should take care of the problem guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run nitro,gas and FE and each has their good points and drawbacks. The rules in gas to me seem not as stable in my area. Most large events run a 23-30 class and then my district is a GX-1 class. Everyone says the 29's are no faster but they definately accelerate faster.Niether NAMBA or IMPBA have a 30 class yet it is run predominately on the east coast. (Winternats,Springnats,Fallnats)

That brings in the "creep" which you either learn to do well or give up position that is hard to beat. Moving the starting line closer to the final turn, giving less ground to creep would be easier than trying to enforce a minimum speed. Heck make the exit pin the start and things would even out. In our outboard tri-oval format putting a single bouy on the backstretch, positiion in turn one is not as important as you exit wide and setup for another turn. Really has taken the carnage out of turn one when we run it.

Mic
Not sure I'm understanding what "Creep" is - but if it's what I think it is, then I would consider it a "Fine Art" to Creep with a Nitro. I'm sure Mic could testify that in the late 80's, there was a older guy in our club that did this "Creep" with his 40 - 60 mono's all the time.. Always at the starting line @ .05mph.. Can remember what his name is or if he's even alive anymore??

I am now running faster with my gas boats than with the Nitro. Who would have thought! They have progressed a bunch. I still like the nitro engines but the nitro exhaust burns my eyes so bad now that I can't be near the nitro without paying for it big time. I guess 44 years of nitro exhaust and the body is saying enough already. I may have to go electric, but will always love the nitro.

In the late 90's I tried gas boats. It just was not the type of racing I wanted, so after two seasons all my gas boats went onto the shelf and that is where they still are. I have a mono, sport hydro, rigger and two cracker box hulls on the shelf.

What was good about gas boas was that they brought a lot of new people to the hobby. With a reasonable amount of money they could buy something ready to run that was competitive.

What was bad about gas boats was that so many people who overnight were racing at competitive speeds did not have any race experience and could not build or repair their boats. So, lots of rule changes were prepared to take care of new model boaters that could not drive but had enough money to just keep buying fast stuff, ready to run.

I'm a nitro guy.

Al, with all the beans we ate with the ribs at Tony Roma's, thats all the gas we need.....never had a gas boat, probably never will. Nitro all the way. The gas guys in our area only want to drink beer and race the wrong way on the course.... might have something to do with the beer.... I'll stick with beans!!!

:) :) :)

Well , I still like some gas boats as well as some of the nitro boats ( 20 ,45 , 67 , 90-101 Twin Hydros and Monos that I have), because of the competition and ease of keeping stuff going as well as fuel cost . Gas Sport Hydros run in the 70's and use 5 bucks worth of fuel all weekend . Cant argue that . Competition is fast and furious and to win you really have to be on your game and not just make the class . Lot's more whining for sure caused by the slow mill deal , but it is what it is .Still nice to pull the stupid cord from time to time !!
Tom:

You have it right....

If you want to really compete with a lot of people, you need to run gas in Florida. I will probably build a gas hydro so that I can compete against more than 5 or 6 people in my nitro classes. Maybe a gas cat, so that I can REALLY compete against a lot of people.

In the late 90's I tried gas boats. It just was not the type of racing I wanted, so after two seasons all my gas boats went onto the shelf and that is where they still are. I have a mono, sport hydro, rigger and two cracker box hulls on the shelf.

What was good about gas boas was that they brought a lot of new people to the hobby. With a reasonable amount of money they could buy something ready to run that was competitive.

What was bad about gas boats was that so many people who overnight were racing at competitive speeds did not have any race experience and could not build or repair their boats. So, lots of rule changes were prepared to take care of new model boaters that could not drive but had enough money to just keep buying fast stuff, ready to run.

I'm a nitro guy.
Not trying to start a war here, I do run a stock Thunderboat and enjoy the class. In 1999 I CD the gas classes at the Namba internats in Sayerville NJ, most of them cut there teeth on nitro. My point is the respect between the drivers did not lead to the mayhem you sometimes see today. Has allot to do with the CD laying down the law from the start. Seen races where District Directors had to give everybody a good talking too on the second day. OMHO...........

OMG here we go, what's next gualifying :wacko: :p
I actually like Ron's idea. If it's good enough for the real unlimited hydros it's good enough for us. :D
oh what a bunch off crap!!! so your telling me that when i bring my 90 rigger or my 1/8 scale to a crawl and hit the start perfectly there is a problem with that??????? if people would take their heads out of there a :blink: :blink: and learn how to keep their boat in there dam lane there would not be any problems!!!!!!!!!!! christ if this was real boat racing i would be going to many funerals!!!!!!!!!!

oh what a bunch off crap!!! so your telling me that when i bring my 90 rigger or my 1/8 scale to a crawl and hit the start perfectly there is a problem with that??????? if people would take their heads out of there a :blink: :blink: and learn how to keep their boat in there dam lane there would not be any problems!!!!!!!!!!! christ if this was real boat racing i would be going to many funerals!!!!!!!!!!
Mikey I've seen your stuff run, your 90 rigger and scale can't do the gas creepy crawl. And if you do bring your 90 to the starting line that slow we'll be waiting for ya at the finish line. :p
And might I suggest decaf............. :lol:

Nuttin' but luv for ya bro. :D

I'll have a tuned pipe on my weed eater before I have a gas boat.
Hell yeah ;) ahh thats a good one, made me laugh anyway.... :lol: Nothing against gas boats, all boats rock but the extra challenges with running nitro engines keep me entertained as I get bored quick, this is why I love 20 tunnel because it's all about the setup there's a lot to gain with a good setup.....

I tried A gas eng a few years ago when I first got in to boating. Went that way because I could not keep my nitro engs alive very long. But it never gave me that felling that I had running my nitro eng.

Now a few years later I go to the pond and all the gas guys stand and watch me run my boat and can't believe how good it runs. Thy all wish there gas boats could run that good. I am not talking about the local pond lizards ether.

Thy all say wow if you only spent that much time on a gas eng it would be a killer boat.

I gust tell them gas will never do what nitro can in the right hands.

I like to go fast not gust stay one step ahead of the next boat. You can not gain enough power to run away from the pack and lap them with a gas eng.

But nitro is a whole different beast. POWER BABY POWER gas ain't got it.

David

Mikey I've seen your stuff run, your 90 rigger and scale can't do the gas creepy crawl. And if you do bring your 90 to the starting line that slow we'll be waiting for ya at the finish line. :p
And might I suggest decaf............. :lol:

Nuttin' but luv for ya bro. :D
bro, you missed the atl race,you would have been proud,you would have thought i had the petrol motors in them :D ,got two great starts that everyone jumped.yes, i personaly like the WOTstarts myself,there more fun! PS,scarry thing is i do not drink coffee,imagine if i did??? :blink: luv back at ya! :D

If you want to crawl, crawl. If you crawl, then crawl in your lane not mine. All my boats crawl on plane.

I tried A gas eng a few years ago when I first got in to boating. Went that way because I could not keep my nitro engs alive very long. But it never gave me that felling that I had running my nitro eng.

Now a few years later I go to the pond and all the gas guys stand and watch me run my boat and can't believe how good it runs. Thy all wish there gas boats could run that good. I am not talking about the local pond lizards ether.

Thy all say wow if you only spent that much time on a gas eng it would be a killer boat.

I gust tell them gas will never do what nitro can in the right hands.

I like to go fast not gust stay one step ahead of the next boat. You can not gain enough power to run away from the pack and lap them with a gas eng.

But nitro is a whole different beast. POWER BABY POWER gas ain't got it.

David
AMEN to that.... :)

Well , I still like some gas boats as well as some of the nitro boats ( 20 ,45 , 67 , 90-101 Twin Hydros and Monos that I have), because of the competition and ease of keeping stuff going as well as fuel cost . Gas Sport Hydros run in the 70's and use 5 bucks worth of fuel all weekend . Cant argue that . Competition is fast and furious and to win you really have to be on your game and not just make the class . Lot's more whining for sure caused by the slow mill deal , but it is what it is .Still nice to pull the stupid cord from time to time !!
Tom:

You have it right....

If you want to really compete with a lot of people, you need to run gas in Florida. I will probably build a gas hydro so that I can compete against more than 5 or 6 people in my nitro classes. Maybe a gas cat, so that I can REALLY compete against a lot of people.
There really are some top notch racers and super competitive boats in the Gas classes in Florida and of course elsewhere . Thunderboat , Sport Hydro , Jersey Skiff , Gas Rigger , Cat are all very competitive and thrilling to drive . The engines are cheap and respond well to relatively simple mods ...parts are very cheap .Gas has progressed quickly in speed mainly due to the top notch prop and engine builders , and the hull and hardware manufacturers whom all make their products very available to all .

I really love my nitro boats and nothing gets me going like my Twin Nitro Riggers , but Racing is Racing !! I just don't have the time to run them all !!

Main thing is to have FUN and RESPECT for your fellow racers and officials like in any group function .

Well , heading to Lake Okeechobee with the Lake Racer boats ...gotta go !

Back