Returned to nitro after trying out gas?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb2620

Just like the topic says. Has anybody returned to running nitro boats after running gas boats? I have just about given up on gas boats, they just don't do anything for me. Still have my nitro boats. I don't care about the cost of fuel or glow plugs.

David

Yes I certainly did when I decided to buy a twin nitro rigger, sold off all my gas stuff. Just love the smell of nitro!!!! This is a expensive hobby rather nitro or gas. Plugs, props, time, it all costs money.

Beau

I never left nitro, but I tried gas, and it's not all that... Nitro rules for sure! :D

Alright David! Blow the dust of them bad boys and lets play.

We had a great Nitro turn out at the Dallas race a few months ago. We are still here.

\m/

Well , I still like some gas boats as well as some of the nitro boats ( 20 ,45 , 67 , 90-101 Twin Hydros and Monos that I have), because of the competition and ease of keeping stuff going as well as fuel cost . Gas Sport Hydros run in the 70's and use 5 bucks worth of fuel all weekend . Cant argue that . Competition is fast and furious and to win you really have to be on your game and not just make the class . Lot's more whining for sure caused by the slow mill deal , but it is what it is .Still nice to pull the stupid cord from time to time !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them both and if you like to race monos the ls27 mono class here in D2 is TOUGH but fun full heats and that **** creeping start is hard to do for me

!!

Love the smell of nitro in the morning :p nitro all the way, nothing beats the sound of 38,000rpm or so, you can't beat it......

I like them both and if you like to race monos the ls27 mono class here in D2 is TOUGH but fun full heats and that **** creeping start is hard to do for me

!!
Too bad they cant do it in sport hydro, would be fun to watch them all at a crawl comming around 6 heading for the line.

I go back and forth but am on nitro at the moment!! I like the technical aspects of nitro (and the smell!!). Bottom line is I love boats of all kinds and no matter what we think this costs...go buy a full size boat, insure it, fix it, supply it, fuel it, haul it, store it etc....we are getting off CHEAP:)

And my neighbor wonders why I insist on paying for fuel when we use his boat to fish!!! I get to walk away from it when we're done!

!!

The creeping on the start sucks in the gas classes. They should hit the line WFO!!!

Kevin

Last year at the Gas Nat's (Tony was there) I watched as some guys during open water were trying to see how slow they could go timing their boats, it was amusing. The ones that would try that trick during the races would creep up to the line then try to go WOT and stall! :lol:

I'm not good at playing that game and just try what i learned over the years racing nitro boats. I'd rather be a little late than be too early as I'll let those guys fight it out and wait while they tangle in the first turn. I didn't have the fastest boats there but finished just about every heat driving around a lot of dead wood.. Those 2nd, 3rd and 4th place finishes are better than a DNS or DNF any day.

This hobby is in a great place right now with all three types of boats being well supported by Manufacturers and Modelers.

The great thing about this is that you are bound to find something you like in at least one of the three.

For me it's Nitro. B)

Tim

Here is a good example of how good the sport hydro class is . First class video production and sponsor list is huge .

The creeping on the start sucks in the gas classes. They should hit the line WFO!!!

Kevin
Well Kev, sounds like you should make a proposal for minimum starting line speed. LMAO!! I can see it now, what sheet storm THAT would start on the Dock! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like all 3 power types. Especially since now you can use a pull start or belt start on the gas boats. Hey Kevin go on and make a proposal, remember NAScar has speed limits on pit road. :ph34r:

Kevin
Well Kev, sounds like you should make a proposal for minimum starting line speed. LMAO!! I can see it now, what sheet storm THAT would start on the Dock! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boy that would stir the pot. I have watch them creep up to the line and do all the zig-zag. And what I have seen is one is pointing this way and the other is pointed that way and when they pull the trigger no one knows where they are going. They then take each other out, dead in the water and shouting on who cut who off. We did not allow that at our race. We told them that they could do run what ever lane they wanted but don't cut another boat off. And if you zig-zag or did S turns you would be a lap behind. It worked because we did not have the problem and had some great WFO starts from the gas boats. And a boat running WFO across the starting line will always beat the slower boats to the first bouy.

I have run nitro,gas and FE and each has their good points and drawbacks. The rules in gas to me seem not as stable in my area. Most large events run a 23-30 class and then my district is a GX-1 class. Everyone says the 29's are no faster but they definately accelerate faster.Niether NAMBA or IMPBA have a 30 class yet it is run predominately on the east coast. (Winternats,Springnats,Fallnats)

That brings in the "creep" which you either learn to do well or give up position that is hard to beat. Moving the starting line closer to the final turn, giving less ground to creep would be easier than trying to enforce a minimum speed. Heck make the exit pin the start and things would even out. In our outboard tri-oval format putting a single bouy on the backstretch, positiion in turn one is not as important as you exit wide and setup for another turn. Really has taken the carnage out of turn one when we run it.

Mic

Latest posts

Back