resin coat or no?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron wirth

just built a Dumas sprint 3.5. i plan to paint it crazy with house of kolor paints. should i resin the boat and sand before paint? or just prime and paint?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would sill the boat with mass or west system epoxy it will make shure that all the seames are water tight also.

just built a Dumas sprint 3.5. i plan to paint it crazy with house of kolor paints. should i resin the boat and sand before paint? or just prime and paint?
Baron;

If you don't seal the wood, you will end up with "grain lines" best to apply thinned epoxy resin, let cure, sand, then re-apply a thicker coat of epoxy, sand again.

Then prime with a good epoxy primer.

Then paint away..

Sealing the wood is necessary if you want a durable long lasting paint job. Wood is not a stable material like metal. However, if it is sealed with an epoxy resin it becomes a closed and much more stable substrate to apply finish coats over. A thin coat of resin to fill the grain, let fully cure, sand smooth to knock off the waxy surface and you will be good to go.

the sealing is a time consuming, rather irritating task.. I hate it.. the resin is expensive.. but, if you don't do it he boat just wont last.. simple as that..

thanks for all the good advice guys.. i put 3 light coats of polyester sanding resin. but what about a turnfin? its been a few years since i sunk my last boat-a prather 3.5 tunnel.. but that was 20 years ago. the dumas kit has no mention of one at all..

Back