Changing the color of my boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglong

Supporting Member
I want to change the color of my outrigger.
Should I remove all of the original paint or can I sand the old paint down to get a smooth finish and re paint the color of my choice?
Or do I have to remove all of the original paint before applying yhe new base coat?

I want to change the color of my outrigger.
Should I remove all of the original paint or can I sand the old paint down to get a smooth finish and re paint the color of my choice?
Or do I have to remove all of the original paint before applying yhe new base coat?
I’ve done both. How much is the extra weight important to you? Stripping paint is a pain and takes a while, but if the weight matters…

I like stripping it all off I have had problems sometimes with compatibility with the new paint wrinkleing doesn’t happen all the times but can be a problem.

I would be VERY careful using the aircraft stripper on a would boat.
If it wicks into the joints (glued areas) it will soften the epoxy/adhesive used to hold it together.
Also, if left on the wood too long it can saturate the wood making your repaint almost impossible

Sanded , no stripper in restoration of an old 90 Crapshooter

PPG Single stage DCCIMG_2715.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
When using aircraftstripper I apply as soon as it rinckles i scrap it it off never had an issue using it wear gloves and do it outside have a garden hose ready to rinse it .Here’s a eagle sg imron blue stripped with aircraft stripper then just cleared it.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0320.jpeg
    IMG_0320.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
What I've decided to do is sand the hull with 320 grit Sandpaper. I will leave the black on the boat as a base coat/primer.
Then I will paint the color of my choice and clear coat after.

Be very careful with corners and riding surface. If you don't know what you are doing you can ruin a good boat

Back